U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:50 PM
k2p k2p started this thread

9 posts, read 6,745 times
Default Best Place for Family North East

I may be relocating to the Pittsburgh area and would like input from some local experts. We are a middle class family with 2 children (1 Jr High and 1 High school). Education is our most important focus. We are looking for the best schools. Secondly we would like to be less than 1/2 hour from the Upper Burrell area. Third would be housing cost.

That being said, I have seen a lot of information about the Hampton area. Great schools and great area to raise a family. Houses seem expensive, and looks like it is very affluent. Any thoughts?

I have read that a lot of school districts are very focussed on athletics. That being said, I do not want my kids to struggle fitting in as they are not star athletes.

I would love to hear any and all input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,602,231 times
Parts of New Kensington & Arnold are "ruff"/ getto. Yet not too bad! The bad parts of New Ken./Arnold are comparable to: parts of South Oakland, parts of Ambridge, parts of McKees Rocks, or the GreenWay projects in Crafton Heights. While some areas have reputations for being snoby or hillbillyish. Snoby and hillbilly areas usually have a lot of teenage drug/achool problems. Although, Idk about drug problems NE of Pittsburgh because I don't live out there. Also, depending on what your compas sense is Penn Hills (closest to the city limits) is the hood.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 PM

33 posts, read 48,045 times
fox chapel or ohara twp the fox chapel school system is excellent and i would suspect it would be easy for most kids to fit in there since it has a mix of suburban kids from fox chapel and ohara and also less yuppie type kids from the blue collar neighborhood of sharpsburg

Old 01-12-2011, 05:29 PM

8,194 posts, read 7,189,955 times
You can find a home for under 100K in Hampton, it has a wide variety of white people. In fact, Big Ben lives about a half mile from me.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:01 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,581,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Parts of New Kensington & Arnold are "ruff"/ getto. Yet not too bad! The bad parts of New Ken./Arnold are comparable to: parts of South Oakland, parts of Ambridge, parts of McKees Rocks, or the GreenWay projects in Crafton Heights. While some areas have reputations for being snoby or hillbillyish. Snoby and hillbilly areas usually have a lot of teenage drug/achool problems. Although, Idk about drug problems NE of Pittsburgh because I don't live out there. Also, depending on what your compas sense is Penn Hills (closest to the city limits) is the hood.
You didn't mention one thing relative to the OP. How does this help?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:14 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,581,969 times
I agree with what Shadysider said.

If you are close to Rt. 28 such as Aspinwall, Fox Chapel, etc., you can make it to Upper Burrell in less than a half hour even during rush hour.

Housing cost? You tell us your price range and we'll try to make a fit. There might be more emphasis on sports in poorer school districts. In the better ones there shouldn't be any regard whether you play a sport or not. Academics is the name of the game.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:32 PM

210 posts, read 262,910 times
Hampton is a really nice area. My niece & I both went to school there (me only for 1 year). It would be a good choice for schools, but it is a bit more rural in areas. I agree you should be able to find a home under 100K but it would be one not built in the cookie cutter housing developments that have overtaken parts of the area.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:06 AM
k2p k2p started this thread

9 posts, read 6,745 times
Thank you for the information... we are looking at a price range under $200k and would need a 4 bedroom for family to visit. I am willing to fix up and renovate, but the price would have to reflect that. We could move up a little for move in with a great kitchen, but would have to move down to afford renovations. what would the commute be like from Hampton. Would it be to my interest to move out of county for tax reasons? I see that Hampton has an earned income tax, is that normal for all towns?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM

3,317 posts, read 2,861,421 times
I am from the Fox Chapel Area and I don't think you can afford it. A four bedroom house in O'Hara Twp. will likely cost over 200,000 and still be a fixer. Aspinwall may be doable but it would be older and a fixer. I guess a lot would depend on what you need in a house. Does a great kitchen require granite or a solid surface countertop and stainless steel? Or do you just require a kitchen that is 10 or 15 years old?

Other areas that are fairly nice up Route 28 are Freeport, the school district is ok, and Sarver (sorry don't know the school district).

Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM

215 posts, read 191,094 times
How is it no one has said Oakmont yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh