Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburghfan View Post
The Pirates were my first sports team love, I still follow them even though they've broken my heart
I feel the same way. It's been a dream come true for me to live down here and be able to go to opening day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 AM

264 posts, read 492,261 times
It seems like on this board the main reason people don't like the Steelers fandom/coverage is simply because they are not sports fans. There's really nothing wrong with people complaining about seeing stuff all over the news that they have no interest in whatsoever, as long as they realize nothing is going to change. The majority of people in this city DO care about the Steelers (try to get a ticket to Sunday's game if you don't believe me) and want to see that coverage. Does it make us shallow yinzers who live and die by the black and gold? Probably. But I for one wouldn't have it any other way.

The non-sports fans just don't get it, and they never will. They don't understand why people could be jealous of Pittsburgh just based on a football team, yet go to Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dallas, or Boston and ask random people on the street what they think of Pittsburgh. The hatred is there, and it's got nothing to do with demographics or socioeconomics...it's because Pittsburgh has 6 Super Bowl rings and has been to the AFC championship game (ticket to the super bowl) 5 out of the past 10 years and 15 times since 1970 (most of any team). You have your Yankees of baseball, and your Celtics and Lakers of the NBA...but in the sport with the largest fanbase and that which generates the most money, it's Pittsburgh head and shoulders above the rest.

Sports team success shouldn't be overlooked. Good teams sell tickets and merchandise, and that money gets pumped back into the local economy. Heinz Field is about to host its 3rd huge January event this year, and none of them would have happened if not for having winning sports teams. That's about 195,000 people, the majority of whom would not have spent a dime in Pittsburgh if not for the games.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
Living in Baltimore has given me a new perspective on the Steelers... whenever they play the Steelers you'd think it was the superbowl. So much trash talk even by the news anchors, it doesn't come across as an "all in good fun" type of thing either... just bitterness that the Ravens have continued to be an also ran team because despite a string of close games that COULD have gone either way, they just can't beat the Steelers when it really counts.

Also for a city that considers itself a football town, you certainly see a ton of Steelers fans here. I can't remember EVER seeing someone decked out in Ravens gear walking around Ross Park Mall or the like, however I see Steelers fans all the time at the malls, grocery stores, etc.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
As a non-sports fan, I really don't get it. Some people act like there is nothing more important than the Steelers.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 AM

22 posts, read 37,214 times
I think its annoying how some steeler fans talk about the team like its their family. I live in Youngstown and its hard to deal with steeler fans who also cheer for ohio state, cavs, and the indians.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
As a non-sports fan, I really don't get it. Some people act like there is nothing more important than the Steelers.
Sadly, to a few people, there IS nothing more important than the Steelers...

Old 01-18-2011, 12:33 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown1425 View Post
I think its annoying how some steeler fans talk about the team like its their family.
I always found that weird. When they refer to the Steelers, everyone always says "we" or "us" as if they were on the offensive line. Then there's the constant talk of "if we would have done this" or "if I made that call" as if they're team strategists as well.

Then there's talk about how great the Rooney family is (how many people even know members of the Rooney family personally?) and how Big Ben is innocent as if they were standing up for their own brother. I just don't get it.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
and how Big Ben is innocent as if they were standing up for their own brother. I just don't get it.
I found the "who cares if he did anything or not, as long as he keeps winning games" mentality rather frightening, myself.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I found the "who cares if he did anything or not, as long as he keeps winning games" mentality rather frightening, myself.
What I find really strange is the female fans that wear his jersey. Just think about that for a second.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:48 PM

98 posts, read 172,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I always found that weird. When they refer to the Steelers, everyone always says "we" or "us" as if they were on the offensive line. Then there's the constant talk of "if we would have done this" or "if I made that call" as if they're team strategists as well.

I'll admit I am guilty of this, mostly because of my affection for the team and it is an us vs them situation. Also, it is easier to say WE should have passed there instead of saying THE STEELERS should have passed there.

My husband and I went to the grocery store last night ( in SA) and I swear to God I saw one person wearing a Steeler hat and another guy (they weren't around each other so I am assuming they weren't friends or family) wearing a Pirates hat. My husband gets annoyed with me because I am constantly pointing out things like that

Last edited by pburghfan; 01-18-2011 at 03:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh