Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 PM

23 posts, read 45,648 times

Advertisements

I'll be interning in Pittsburgh from late May to early August. I'm a female soon-to-be-graduating engineering student, and I need some recommendations on where to live and a little advice on how to get by in a city I've never been to before! I'm working for EQT Production (625 Liberty Avenue) and am looking for a short commute in a safe and fun area. Last summer, I commuted 100 miles every day, and I do not want to do that again.

I'd definitely like to be in a place where there are other students whom I could possibly meet. I won't know anybody when I get there, but I'm pretty good at making friends .

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,342,216 times
Shadyside or Squirrel Hill are always our top 2 recommendations. Southside maybe.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:06 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,901,514 times
The South Side would be good because there is a lot to do there, lots of college students, and you could actually walk to work on nice days (you could also take the T from Station Square to Wood Street to shorten your commute).

Shadyside would also be good--again, lots to do and lots of students, plus an easy commute on the East Busway.

Those are both pretty pricey options, though. If the costs are looking prohibitive, you might also look at Bloomfield/Friendship, which are still very close to Downtown and fairly popular with students. If even that is too expensive, let us know and we can provide more alternatives.

Finally, you could look at living Downtown itself. There are some students and it would be very convenient, but you'd probably end up heading to places like the South Side and Shadyside to do things.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:37 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,358,812 times
Since you said any advice is helpful here is a simple list of some good places to check out near downtown
North:
North shore
Allegheny West stay away from most of Manchester... Big gang neiborghood home of the Wilson Ave. O.G.'z
East Allegheny(dutchtown) but look west of route 79 other side = crime and the Tre 8's
Most of Fineview steer clear of the projects = dangerous North Charles Street Cripz of Northview Heights
Central Northside(war streets or hoodtown) look further away from the projects though projects = drugs, crime, hoodtown mafia
Part of Spring Garden as you get closer to East Allegheny= D-boys and crime
Part of Troy Hill as you get closer to East Allegheny= D-boys and crime
Spring Hill

West:
Part of Elliot but other part have crime issues
Esplen looks bad but isn't
Part of Sheredan beware if you travel a few blocks you're in the Convitcs turf
Crafton Heights look away from the Greenway projects Greenway = trap boyz, drugs, & crime

South:
Carson
Southside flats
Southside slopes
Bon Air surrounded by really bad areas
Most of Mt. Washington but gets "ruff" around the Beltzhoover & Allentown border
Duquesne Heights

East:
Down Town
Craford Roberts Hill only in the townhouse area unless you want the victim of blood gang swine
Central Oakland
North Oakland
Part of West Oakland stay close to Pitt or be victim of blood gang swine
Part of South Oakland only north of the boulevard south you'll be chillin with da SOC's
Bloomfield
Friendship
Lower Larwarnceville
Part of Central Laranceville stay away of Upper Larwancville boarder... Lots of drug dealers, fiends, prostitutes
Part of Upper Larwanceville stay away from Central Larwanceville same problems as above
Shadyside
Polish Hill
Bluff(uptown) stay closer to Duquense University because the other part is edgy/drugy
Hope this helps!!! Here we go Steelers!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 06:55 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,692,459 times
Let me help you out:

Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,358,812 times
I agree with some of this contraversel map but not all... It's not very good in my opinion, it just stereo types the Burgh. To raise the question, what is the reason why the map is highlighted??? Is it the common belifes and neiborghood reputations of native Pittsburghers??? Or is it highlited because of the tendencises of the people walking around???

Old 01-23-2011, 10:11 PM

191 posts, read 600,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Let me help you out:

According to this map, i do not fit in anywhere. Im not white, im not rich, im not a hipster, im not eastern european, im not black, i do not own a yacht, not unemployed, i don't jog or do yoga, im not polish, and im not poor. I guess i do not belong in Pittsburgh??

I AM puerto rican/cuban and my wife is German/Irish and we have a son that is a mutt of all of our nationalities combined. We are looking for a decent middle class neighborhood where i can sleep at night without worrying somebody is going to bust into my house and force me to shoot them. I would like to be in an area where we do not have to drive far to do anything considered fun. Also would like to be close to work, which will be across the street from Heinz Field. Also, schools that are good help. By that i mean i am not looking for the ivy league of elementary schools but i am also not looking for a hellhole where my kid is gonna have a hard time from teachers because he is high functioning autistic. Would all of this be possible in Pittsburgh? I do not really care if it is in the city or the burbs. I have done both in my life and i am not really set on one or the other. What neighborhoods would be a decent fit in your opinion? This is open to everybody by the way lol

Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,692,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThaGrind View Post
According to this map, i do not fit in anywhere. Im not white, im not rich, im not a hipster, im not eastern european, im not black, i do not own a yacht, not unemployed, i don't jog or do yoga, im not polish, and im not poor. I guess i do not belong in Pittsburgh??
The map is tongue in cheek and it should be posted in every "where do I live?!!?" thread. For the record I live in the "so poor" area and every neighborhood that's recommended on this forum is the "30-something joggers and yoga" portion of town.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,680,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chompy View Post
I'll be interning in Pittsburgh from late May to early August. I'm a female soon-to-be-graduating engineering student, and I need some recommendations on where to live and a little advice on how to get by in a city I've never been to before! I'm working for EQT Production (625 Liberty Avenue) and am looking for a short commute in a safe and fun area. Last summer, I commuted 100 miles every day, and I do not want to do that again.

I'd definitely like to be in a place where there are other students whom I could possibly meet. I won't know anybody when I get there, but I'm pretty good at making friends .

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
If you're going to be living in Pittsburgh and working downtown for the summer, I recommend Oakland. I spent a couple summers in Oakland while in college and really enjoyed bumming around town during the long summer days. Also, a nice percentage of students who stick around during the summer months are also doing internships, so you'll likely be in familiar company. I interned at a defense contractor one summer, and four or five of us all lived within a few blocks of one another. We did happy hours and dinners and really felt like big-shots, haha. Great experience.

Because so many Pitt/CMU students living in Oakland leave town for the summer, there are many apartments that you can sublet from May-August. Also, because you're usually dealing with a student and not a professional landlord, you should be able to negotiate relatively low rent. You can probably expect to find something decent for about $350 - $600/month. You might be able to find someone disorganized who is trying to sublet at the last minute and rent it for a song. Check Craigslist.

Traveling into downtown every day would be a breeze. You can catch just about any inbound bus on Fifth Avenue and walk a block or two to your office. Round trip on the bus everyday is $4.50, or I think you can purchase a one month pass. Door-to-door you're looking at about 15-20 minutes.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,901,514 times
I can't believe I overlooked Oakland--that is an excellent suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh