Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM

140 posts, read 255,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Congrats, you're a true Pgher, What? Cross a river, go over a bridge, I'll just stay here.
I used to hear that a lot when I lived there...that certain (older) people have literally never stepped foot outside whatever township or borough they were born/grew up in. Thought is was funny as hell. All the different places to go and see in and around the city and they wanna stay holed up in Carnegie? That always got a chuckle out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feanix View Post
I've travelled quite a bit (cross country in a car, as far North as New Hampshire and as far South as Mexico). Never once did I think, "Wow, Pittsburgh's really cloudy in comparison." I spent a summer in Tacoma, now that place stood out as cloudy to me! Personally, I would have thought the humidity would have been the main complaint of Pittsburgh weather.

I always found Pittsburgh's weather pretty appealing. Not just in one season, but in all four seasons. None of the seasons were extreme and all seemed to flow nicely from one to the next. I know some people who can't stand snow, but having been born and raised with 4 seasons I don't think I would fare well in a climate that didn't have them.
After my second winter there, I just said "to heck with it--deal with it". Now mind you, I come from a place where our four season are "almost summer", "summer", "still summer", and "dammit--its STILL summer?", which is a stark contrast to "almost winter", "winter", "still winter", and the yearlong one, "contstruction". lol All jokes aside, I couldn't take all the gray days too well--or the cold initially, or the snow--but, I suppose it's all just part of the charm of living up north.

To the point of this thread...of all the things that speak to "Pittsburgh character"--that which is the first thing to be pointed out to a visitor--I gotta go with a few others and say Primanti's is the most overrated. Never cared for the place at all. Not even a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:13 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,510,455 times
I have to agree with a lot of what is said. Triangle is awful, same for the famous Vinnie Pie. It used to be that the Sharp Edge was great but there are bottle shops everywhere now. So now overrated.

To me the most overrated thing in the burgh is the South Side. If you aren't 22 and like to puke every weekend it is not for you.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,501,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Congrats, you're a true Pgher, What? Cross a river, go over a bridge, I'll just stay here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850_branded View Post
I used to hear that a lot when I lived there...that certain (older) people have literally never stepped foot outside whatever township or borough they were born/grew up in. Thought is was funny as hell. All the different places to go and see in and around the city and they wanna stay holed up in Carnegie? That always got a chuckle out of me.
Don't you believe it, it's the young people as well. I had my car towed from McCandless to Dormont one time and the 20 something driver went into shock when he had to cross a river and go through a tunnel.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 AM

540 posts, read 866,506 times
What's really overrated is the contention that Pittsburghers refuse to cross rivers or go through tunnels. If that were true, there wouldn't be backups at ALL of the tunnels every morning and afternoon. Every traffic report I hear mentions the three main tunnels, and the Ft. Pitt, Liberty, and Veterans bridges at a minimum. Also, everyone who waits to go through the Ft. Pitt tunnel inbound has to cross at least 1 river as well, so all of those people do both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh