Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,226 times

Advertisements

Greeting...

My Bro inlaw is getting married to a beautiful Crafton girl in May 2011. and as a family of 6, we are looking for a place to stay or rent for 1 week. we have looked at alot of hotels around crafton and in pittsburgh it self but havent made are minds up yet.
we would like to stay in a big house if possible but not necessary.

The wedding is in a English high tea theme and i also need a baker which would bake english scones or petit sandwich cakes.

And also we are gonna need to rent a big car. hopefully a 6 seater. is there anwhere local or will i have to rent of a main dealer?

just a few questions

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your visit.

Have you looked at The Priory Hotel? It is a very cool place, recently expanded, and an easy hop from Crafton.

I believe Chef Raymond Mikesell, of Cafe Raymond in the Strip District, does custom baking/catering.

Cafe Raymond

Personally, I would stick with one of the major car rental companies (Pittsburgh car rentals usually aren't all that expensive anyway).

Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
When we had someone who came into town for work a few years ago and chose themselves to stay at Priory (we would be picking up the tab and recommended otherwise) they didn't like it. I think it misrepresents itself somewhat.

There aren't likely to be many houses available for just a week and not even sure where you would look. There are some companies that deal in short-term apartments, though, and they would likely not cost much if any more than a standard hotel room to get a decently furnished apartment with 2 bedrooms and probably 2 bathrooms as well as full kitchen. Corporate Accommodations is the one I recommend all the time although I can't say that any of these locations are especially convenient to Crafton, but either of the West properties (these are towards the airport) or Central (these are in/next to downtown Pittsburgh) would be reasonably close. Corporate Accommodations-Pittsburgh, PA-Fully Furnished and Equipped Short-Term Apartments Is the ceremony to be in Crafton? Other than that, nicer hotels are in downtown Pittsburgh. If you want specifics on any I can go into more detail.

As for rental car, the main way to guarantee 6-passenger seating is to rent in the minivan category. Those will always be configured for 7 passengers (a few might fit 8). The other category that seats that much is a large SUV, but they're quite a large vehicle indeed, larger than the minivan, which is already pretty big. Some smaller SUV categories *sometimes* have that much seating but won't be guaranteed so minivan is safest bet as long as style is not a concern. Assuming you'll be coming into the airport it's easiest just to rent there from one of the major agencies (Hertz, Avis, Budget, National, Dollar, etc.)

I don't know about baking so much. I'm not sure what are commonly sold as scones here are really that close to the real thing, and petit sandwich cakes are a total mystery off the top of my head (while I've been to England a few times I've never actually experienced such things). You may find you have to be extra descriptive to end up with the right things.

Good luck. If answers only bring up more questions then by all means ask away.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnglishman View Post
and as a family of 6, we are looking for a place to stay or rent for 1 week. we have looked at alot of hotels around crafton and in pittsburgh it self but havent made are minds up yet.
we would like to stay in a big house if possible but not necessary.
House rentals are rare since this isn't a big tourist area. I found a handful of possibilities via google search:

Pittsburgh PA Vacation Rentals, Accommodations in Pittsburgh PA, HomeAway

Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Vacation Rentals by Owner - Pittsburgh Pennsylvania VRBO, Vacation Home Rentals, Condo Rentals, FRBO Vacation Rentals, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Travel Information (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/pennsylvania/pittsburgh-area/pittsburgh - broken link)

These two seem to be the closest to Crafton:

Pittsburgh Vacation Rental - VRBO 164150 - 1 BR Pittsburgh & Its Countryside Condo in PA, City Condo Cultural District, Point State Park, and Stadiums (http://www.vrbo.com/164150 - broken link)

Pittsburgh Vacation Rental - VRBO 78131 - 4 BR Pittsburgh & Its Countryside House in PA, Pittsburgh City Skyline View - Mt. Washington (http://www.vrbo.com/78131 - broken link)

Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM

98 posts, read 172,999 times
If you get desperate I can tell you where they have nice high teas with great scones and finger sandwhiches. Maybe you can talk them into catering or they can steer you in the right direction. Cafe Frick Frick Art & Historical Center | The Café and the Omni William Penn http://www.omnihotels.com/findahotel...nn/dining.aspx. I have personally enjoyed high teas at both of these places. I would maybe favor Cafe Frick but The William Penn is great too.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh