U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-26-2011, 03:30 PM

3,751 posts, read 2,372,241 times
When I lived in SH, I would mostly go to Napoli, and later, Lucci's. Mineo's was good in 1972, when there literally was nothing resembling New York pizza in Pgh. I ate there every day sometimes. Two slices and a Coke. I think it cost 50 cents. Maybe 75 and I gave them a quarter tip.

Now you can get reasonably good pizza anywhere in Squirrel Hill (anywhere in town, really). Especially given this, I think Aiello's is crap. They did not learn how to make dough very well when they were working at Mineo's (not that Mineo's dough is so fabulous). It astonishes me that they stay open, Aiello's. The best thing about the place is the cute guy who sometimes makes pizza in the window. But you really want your customers to come for the food, not because your employees are hot.

Later on, a new place opened where the video store used to be. Lucci's. Their pizza isn't bad. I'm not in love with it, but going there is more pleasant than going to any of the other places. I can sit there and eat, and there's this wonderful woman who works there who could be a stand-up comic. She and the kids can be very entertaining during the few minutes it takes to eat a couple of slices.

And Lucci's doesn't burn the pizza when they reheat it. Why does Pgh pizza have to be so re-hot it burns the roof of your mouth?

It's a tie between Lucci's and Napoli on Murray Avenue. Except for the blonde woman who calls me "Buddy," the Napolis aren't the friendliest group of retailers, but I like the taste of their pizza best. So mostly, I would go to Lucci's, and have Napoli deliver.

I don't feel like joining another forum, but if I were to vote, it would be for Mineo's.

Last edited by jay5835; 01-26-2011 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-26-2011, 03:35 PM

1,122 posts, read 556,534 times
All american chain pizza places buy the dough frozen in bulk. That's why it tastes the same.

Unread 01-26-2011, 06:34 PM

765 posts, read 850,278 times
Same complaint I always have. I HATE provolone cheese, just about everyone in Pittsburgh puts a blend on their pizza. Most places in the country use mozzerella.

Unread 01-27-2011, 07:46 AM

3,035 posts, read 2,374,545 times
I agree that when they reheat pizza they make it way too hot. It is one thing if you are taking out but if you are going to sit there why do you need to make it so hot.

Unread 01-27-2011, 08:59 PM

1,056 posts, read 580,447 times
i say keep walking uphill past both - i like napoli's the best.

i hate mineo's pizza.

Unread 01-28-2011, 06:18 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,923,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
When I lived in SH, I would mostly go to Napoli, and later, Lucci's.

And Lucci's doesn't burn the pizza when they reheat it. Why does Pgh pizza have to be so re-hot it burns the roof of your mouth?

It's a tie between Lucci's and Napoli on Murray Avenue.
People SLEEP on Lucci's. That is some GOOD pizza right there.. I love their sauce.

To answer the OP's original question, I'mma have to go with Mineo's for 100 ALEX!

Unread 01-28-2011, 06:27 AM

25,404 posts, read 42,157,353 times
I ♥ Mineo's! I just wish they delivered!

Unread 01-28-2011, 06:58 AM

3,751 posts, read 2,372,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I ♥ Mineo's! I just wish they delivered!
Have you tried the pizza at Piccolo Forno? It's of a higher quality than any we've discussed so far. They don't deliver, either, but it's a lot closer to your loft (3801 Butler) than Mineo's.

Unread 01-29-2011, 03:46 PM

10,201 posts, read 5,881,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Have you tried the pizza at Piccolo Forno? It's of a higher quality than any we've discussed so far. They don't deliver, either, but it's a lot closer to your loft (3801 Butler) than Mineo's.
I don't think a Mineos Pizza lover would like Piccolo because that pizza is done. Mineos is meant for those who like a raw dough section in the crust. Lots of raw pizza in the burgh for some reason. Never understood that. I have never had raw pizza in NYNY and doubt it would be welcome there, but in the burgh it is considered great.

Unread 01-29-2011, 04:26 PM

9,866 posts, read 7,554,312 times
So is this a between those two only topic or a good pizza all over the city topic? If the latter, here's where to go:

Dinette (East Liberty/"Eastside") for really fresh ingredients and interesting ideas

Il Pizzaiolo (Mt Lebanon) for authentic Neapolitan without flying to Italy

City Oven (Banksville and Wexford) for a step above the typical shop, your choice of white or wheat crust and different sauces as well as quality toppings.

Probably Piccolo Forno too, but I haven't been.

None of those are going to be like Mineos, but that's a good thing.

Anyone like Pizza Sola? I haven't tried. Getting to be a chain though with a 4th store coming in Cranberry so might go downhill. If they continue to live up to what they say it could be good though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh