U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:11 AM

13,143 posts, read 10,641,640 times

Advertisements

Like most other people, I like Smithfield St, 16th St, and the three sisters bridges.

I drive the Liberty Bridge every day, and it's nothing special. I also hate the Lower McArdle Roadway bridge, but they're now fixing it: Lower McArdle project begins Monday
(and hopfully the surrounding road which I'm pretty convinced is the Worst Street in the City.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 10:12 AM

108 posts, read 119,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
) In particular I'd like to know which bridges are in need of a lot of repair work right now, since that makes me a little nervous.
Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

You might find this link to be useful.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,365,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
My least favorite is the Liberty Bridge. Ironically, it's probably the one I drive on most often. But, it's similar in build to the bridge that collapsed in Minneapolis, so I think of that too often...

Liberty Bridge - Bridges and Tunnels of Allegheny County and Pittsburgh, PA
LOL I'm prone to that kind of thinking too, so maybe I'll cross Liberty off the list unless it happens to go someplace I want to see.

Thank you mjost7 for a very helpful link!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Least favorite
31st
40th
High Level
Rankin
Vets
Highland Park
Which bridge is the high level bridge? Is it really high and narrow? That might make me a bit nervous, too. I don't know why but there's something about really high bridges and overpasses that can unnerve me. It's not a logical fear but there you go.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,225,301 times
Quote:
Which bridge is the high level bridge? Is it really high and narrow? That might make me a bit nervous, too. I don't know why but there's something about really high bridges and overpasses that can unnerve me. It's not a logical fear but there you go.
Its the bridge that takes you over to The Waterfront Entertainment Complex. You go through Squirrel Hill to get to it. I don't like that bridge either. Don't be stuck in traffic. You can feel it shaking and swaying...scary stuff.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM

13,143 posts, read 10,641,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Its the bridge that takes you over to The Waterfront Entertainment Complex. You go through Squirrel Hill to get to it. I don't like that bridge either. Don't be stuck in traffic. You can feel it shaking and swaying...scary stuff.
It's better now than it was before they renovated it, though. I often had visions of crashing down into the river on that old thing.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,644,951 times
Lots of my favorites are well-mentioned above.

Some that tend to get less mentions are the Lincoln Avenue and Brilliant Cutoff bridges, two intersecting viaduct-style bridges over Washington Boulevard, and also the near-twin Schenley and Panther Hollow bridges in Schenley Park.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 AM

I like the idea of walking over Smithfield Bridge (just for the fun of doing it). Is there a place next to it where I can park?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:34 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,644,951 times
Quote:
I like the idea of walking over Smithfield Bridge (just for the fun of doing it). Is there a place next to it where I can park?
There is lots of paid parking on the Station Square side.

It is a short walk, by the way. If you are looking for a longer walk, you can actually do lots of cool bridges in a pretty short period of time out of Downtown. I like going over the Fort Duquesne bridge from Point Park and then back one of the Three Sisters, or vice-versa.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:36 PM

43,017 posts, read 49,470,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Favorite

Sister Bridges
Smithfield
West End
10th
16th
Liberty

Least favorite
31st 40th
High Level
Rankin
Vets
Highland Park
I like the 31st street bridge. I like that it doesnt have overhead structure hindering views. Love the oldness of it. The 40th is similar, but it doesn't do anything for me like the 31st. I also like that the 31st doesn't have much traffic. I like how it curves and bows---it's not flat and straight. It offers a unique view of the city, and it's a great place to view fireworks without crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh