Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 11:18 AM

82 posts, read 266,023 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest an optometrist within the city or north of the city? I am looking for someone that has experince and is knowledgeable. I am having vision problems and don't just want to go to a place like LensCrafters where they might not be that experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 03:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Well, you may really want an opthamologist I think, an eye doctor that's an MD, unless you're not considering it to be a serious problem. That's what I would seek out with anything other than just "I can't see that well anymore". I mean, I don't know your scenario. For me I've been wearing glasses for 20 years and for normal vision changes I don't mind going to the optometrist most of the time. I've had a couple of bad experiences at other places, but the one at the Ross Park Mall Lenscrafters is actually not bad at all IMO.

But I think in general opthamologists are more common in independent practice than optometrists anyway; most of the latter seem to be attached to a glasses selling operation.

There are plenty of these around all over the city. Eye Physicians and Surgeons is a practice I've experienced personally, though not for several years. Good docs but busy and highly sought after so could be hard to get appointment. http://www.pgheyemds.com/ But any opthamologist has a little more training than an optometrist. UPMC's eye services info is here: http://www.upmc.com/Services/ophthal...s/default.aspx

Old 01-29-2011, 09:16 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,202 times
Eyes on Regent Square has a very good optometrist (O.D) who can refer you to an ophthamologst (M.D) if your vision issue is serious. I am sure UPMC has many also.

In my past life I was in ophthalmics. If you post your basic symptoms I will not diagnose you! I am not qualified. I can give you my opinion if you should see an OD or an MD.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:49 PM

59 posts, read 129,763 times
Like the others... if you're having vision problems past myopia/presbyopia, or simple glasses and contacts; might as well skip the optometrist in the store (OD) and get an evaluation by an ophthalmologist (MD).

I went to UPMC's eye clinic next to Presby several years ago and I thought they had excellent care. I recall being seen by an OD, a resident, as well as an attending during my visit. Its a pretty large clinic, and a teaching practice as well.

Something else to consider is that if there is actually is a problem with your eye(s), most regular health insurance will cover ophthalmologist care. Mine did.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:21 AM

781 posts, read 1,619,202 times
Everyone knows myopic people are too short sighted to seek advice and presbyopes can't read advice!

I am a myopic presbyope. I however have contacts, and 6 pairs of glasses. I rotate depending on how long my arms are that day.

My esophoria really messes with my presbyopia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh