U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:09 AM

42,506 posts, read 47,596,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Fair enough. I read your post as a typical "woe is me I live in Pittsburgh" comment...
The only thing that worries me about snow or ice storms is losing electricity.

Quote:
but I get it now.
I don't understand why people complain about blizzards. Nothing is greater to me than a city shutting down!

Even if I can't get to the ski slopes, I like my day suddenly being free for sled riding.

There's nothing fun to do after an ice storm though, but I love a good blizzard!

Quote:
The negativity of the locals is getting to me. Sorry.
I'm not one of those people. btw, isn't being negative about the negativity negative in itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 AM

570 posts, read 909,316 times
Almost a early spring like morning ! 48 degrees and bright n sunny !! Had an incredible rainbow around 7:30 in Sewickley. The cold front that will end all spring like thinking is just miles off to the northwest... But it's all a bonus as yet again, local weather heads missed even this ' weather window of luxury' albeit a short one.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 AM

9,882 posts, read 9,519,958 times
It's a 12-hour heat wave, woo.

I'll take it.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,215,329 times
Truly a lovely morning.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 AM

2,118 posts, read 1,977,445 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people complain about blizzards. Nothing is greater to me than a city shutting down!
The expressioin springs to mind, "It's all great fun, til somebody dies." It's true. And not everybody has the latitude to just blow off work.

Remember the guy who died last year because the medics wouldn't get out of the truck and walk the two blocks to his house?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,215,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
The expressioin springs to mind, "It's all great fun, til somebody dies." It's true.
There is some validity to that point, but you can also drive yourself crazy with that sort of thinking--in a metro area with millions of people, lots of things can have negative consequences, up to and including death, for a few people.

I'd suggest a healthy attitude would be that in light of the attendant risks, we should try our best to be prepared for snow, and to help out others who may need it when it does snow. But I don't think we need to actually hate snow, or indeed to overlook the fun aspects of having different sorts of weather at different times of year.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 AM
gg

11,286 posts, read 7,439,330 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I read your post as a typical "woe is me I live in Pittsburgh" comment, but I get it now.

The negativity of the locals is getting to me. Sorry.
It feeds on itself. Pittsburghers want to think it is really tough living here for some reason. All I have to say it go north of rt. 80 and have a look at a winter. They have lots of hills and way more snow. Pittsburgh gets very little of this so-called SEVERE weather. If I hear that word SEVERE one more time I am going to puke!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 AM

12,966 posts, read 10,255,110 times
Quote:
The thought of having to go through another week like we did after the big storm last year just makes my blood run cold. I didn't have power for over 24 hours. It was freezing in my house and my gas stove doesn't work when the electric is off, so I couldn't cook. It was boring,I was sick of eating peanut butter sandwiches, and even if I'd wanted to go somewhere I couldn't have. The trolley wasn't running, my car was buried, and the steep hill next to my house wasn't touched until 4 or 5 days after the snow stopped. I'm not Laura Ingalls, and I can't handle too much of that.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM
gg

11,286 posts, read 7,439,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The thought of having to go through another week like we did after the big storm last year just makes my blood run cold. I didn't have power for over 24 hours. It was freezing in my house and my gas stove doesn't work when the electric is off, so I couldn't cook. It was boring,I was sick of eating peanut butter sandwiches, and even if I'd wanted to go somewhere I couldn't have. The trolley wasn't running, my car was buried, and the steep hill next to my house wasn't touched until 4 or 5 days after the snow stopped. I'm not Laura Ingalls, and I can't handle too much of that.
I don't think that would be true about your stove. You just have to light it with a match instead of the electric igniter. 24 hours isn't much. There is a private road behind my home and there is a older women up there that didn't have power for over 3 days. I ran an extension cord up there, well about 5 cords plugged into each other to get there for her. Now that was cold. I felt really bad for her, but she did plug into some electric heaters and it did take the edge off.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM

2,118 posts, read 1,977,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There is some validity to that point, but you can also drive yourself crazy with that sort of thinking--in a metro area with millions of people, lots of things can have negative consequences, up to and including death, for a few people.

I'd suggest a healthy attitude would be that in light of the attendant risks, we should try our best to be prepared for snow, and to help out others who may need it when it does snow. But I don't think we need to actually hate snow, or indeed to overlook the fun aspects of having different sorts of weather at different times of year.
Oh, I won't argue that there aren't certain good things that result from those unscheduled holidays. People tend to come togehter, and pull togehter, to meet and help others out that they might never do under ordinary circumstances. I'm sure lots of people have good memories of things that have happened because of such events.

There's even a school of thought that would predict that some people wouldn't even be around if it weren't for such bad weather events. The nine months post-blizzard baby boomers seem to exist, if only anecdotally.

It's just that in terms of what serves "the greater good", the most good (or the least bad), for the most people, I don't think blizzards qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh