Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:45 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times

Advertisements

Aldi has cheeses and avocados and frozen seafood, including salmon. I don't know if the produce is organic, it doesn't say on the package, but it's good and WAY cheaper than GE.

Their detergent is good also. The only thing I didn't like from them - actually my cats didn't like it - is the cat food. Everything else is just great. I like very much their canned oysters that i pop up, squeeze lemon on top and eat while I'm cooking as appetizer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Aldi has cheeses and avocados and frozen seafood, including salmon. I don't know if the produce is organic, it doesn't say on the package, but it's good and WAY cheaper than GE.
I try not to shop at GE if at all possible. Even though I can walk to one. Anyway, I will look at Aldi's, but if the fish isn't wild caught and it is all farm raised and they don't do organics, I will not be in the right store and the person that told me it was the same as Trader Joes, was totally incorrect. There are reasons I buy wild caught fish and most organics. Trader Joes is much cheaper than G. Eagle as well, but I will drive to Aldi's. The closest one is on Rt. 8 in Glenshaw I guess. I heard they are building on in Oakmont on the corner of Plum St. and ARB. That will probably do quite well there, but not as good as a TJ would do.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I try not to shop at GE if at all possible. Even though I can walk to one. Anyway, I will look at Aldi's, but if the fish isn't wild caught and it is all farm raised and they don't do organics, I will not be in the right store and the person that told me it was the same as Trader Joes, was totally incorrect. There are reasons I buy wild caught fish and most organics. Trader Joes is much cheaper than G. Eagle as well, but I will drive to Aldi's. The closest one is on Rt. 8 in Glenshaw I guess. I heard they are building on in Oakmont on the corner of Plum St. and ARB. That will probably do quite well there, but not as good as a TJ would do.
It's NOT the same as Trader Joes. No way. No how. Few organics, if any. Very limited selection in everything.

If you're driving by one, stop by to check it out for entertainment value (since you will think it's funny someone said it was the same). But don't go out of your way.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's NOT the same as Trader Joes. No way. No how. Few organics, if any. Very limited selection in everythintg. If you're driving by one, stop by to check it out. But don't go out of your way.
But everyone is saying it is the same thing? I usually get reasonably priced organics and wild fish. Even organic pasta that is the same price as Community Market when regular pasta is on sale. Half and half that is actually milk and cream without junk. I think TJ is a rare store. There is a brie there that is amazing. It can stink up the fridge, but we put it in a container sealed. lol

I have a feeling I probably will be pretty disappointed if I went there. I don't care about labels, just ingredients. Most of the things I buy just say Trader Joes on it.

Thank you for saving me the trip, but if I drive by there, I will stop and report back. Most people don't read labels at all. That is how companies can sell blueberry cereal without any blueberries. It has blue dye though.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
This is the article that tells you about all you can possibly get to know about Trader Joe's given that it's privately and very closely held, so close that even this article doesn't get the company as a direct source.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/20/news...tune/index.htm

It explains all kinds of things, from the Albrecht family relationship (not owned by Aldi Nord but owned by the same branch of the Albrecht family and held in trust, very hands-off, Germans visit about once a year; Aldi Sud is owned by a different branch of the family and controls the US Aldi stores) to why a store with less choices in it results in a) better customer satisfaction and b) lower prices. Also points out how some of the large name brand companies make some of their private label products.

They aren't the same. Trader Joe's specifically pushes unique items, tries them out, will be ruthless in discontinuing them if they don't sell. Aldi mainly has generic American staples. The store formats are similar: smaller, less variety, full of private label (house brand, store brand, same thing) goods. But the target market is different.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
i have a feeling I probably will be pretty disappointed if I went there.
I'm certain you would be disappointed. I've never seen brie at Aldi.

Quote:
Thank you for saving me the trip, but if I drive by there, I will stop and report back.
You're welcome. I couldn't remain silent and have you waste your time. I'm not anti-Aldi, btw, but it's clearly not the store for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The store formats are similar: smaller, less variety, full of private label (house brand, store brand, same thing) goods. But the target market is different.
Totally agree. Based on h_curtis' posts, he would not like Aldi.

Aldi has had a few private label items that I thought were fantastic, but a handful of favorite items isn't worth an out-of-the-way trip.

The biggest problem with Aldi is you can never count on seeing the same thing there for long.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-02-2011 at 09:46 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 AM
gg

Judging by what I see as "American staples", I don't think I would like Aldi and thank you both for actually reading my posts stating what I feel I should feed my family. Just not a fan of foods loaded with stuff that helps bottom lines of companies. Sure they might be a nickel less, but I think I will pay the nickel. So glad TJ is here now. I had to go to the Coop and then sometimes Whole Foods. Ouch! Both are expensive. TJ is cheaper than GE and I get what I am looking for. Wish Aldi was like that, but I remember many years ago walking out, thinking I could maybe by some dry pasta there, but that was about it.

Thank you both for reading my posts and steering me. I hate to waste time going somewhere and more importantly wasting fuel.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 AM

398 posts, read 702,107 times
Most of our clothing, furniture, and other household goods are purchased online. (zappos.com! Free shipping both ways! Amazon Prime! Gap/Gap Kids, J Crew, Pottery Barn, West Elm, Crate and Barrel, and Restoration Hardware are the other big online resources for us.)

As fas a physical stores, we spend the most at: Target, Target, Target; Costco; Old Navy; Giant Eagle; Walmart.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,752 times
Quote:
Judging by what I see as "American staples", I don't think I would like Aldi and thank you both for actually reading my posts stating what I feel I should feed my family. Just not a fan of foods loaded with stuff that helps bottom lines of companies. Sure they might be a nickel less, but I think I will pay the nickel. So glad TJ is here now. I had to go to the Coop and then sometimes Whole Foods. Ouch! Both are expensive. TJ is cheaper than GE and I get what I am looking for. Wish Aldi was like that, but I remember many years ago walking out, thinking I could maybe by some dry pasta there, but that was about it.

Thank you both for reading my posts and steering me. I hate to waste time going somewhere and more importantly wasting fuel.

I think I pulled an eye socket rolling so hard.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
My faves include Giant Eagle/Market District, Trader Joe's, Aldi's, Target, Best Buy, Barnes and Noble, The Exchange (for CDs) and Ikea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh