U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2011, 05:29 AM

1,437 posts, read 1,365,424 times
I have Comcast's high speed internet until FiOS gets rolled out to my part of the city (When, if, who knows.) but I haven't subscribed to cable TV once since I left home almost a decade ago.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 05:33 AM

3,891 posts, read 3,699,375 times
I just turned my cable off completely. I'm going to get one of those digital antennas. It was hard, because Turner Classic Movies is a religion to me, but I absolutely will not pay $115 a month for cable/internet anymore.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,118,153 times
I also cut cable a few months ago. I was really worried about it, but if you're reasonably tech savvy, all cable content is available somewhere for free (or nearly free) – if you're willing to dig a bit. Wired Magazine actually did a good article a while back on how to go cable-free: Wired

Old 02-08-2011, 06:16 AM

4,619 posts, read 4,428,536 times
I was seriously considering getting Google TV until i seen that all the broadcast tv channel prohibited google from streaming shows....GREED is the name of the game in TV...

Im also looking at Apple Tv which seems to have the better relationship but seems more nickle and diming...

What makes it hard for me to get rid of cable is DVR...im a total addict....but no Dvr i could totally cut that bill

Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 AM

3,967 posts, read 4,877,018 times
I ditched cable and satellite services quite some time ago and now I just watch OTA (over the air) television. Currently I live in a rural area and so I use a couple of deep fringe antennas to pick up the channels that are available in my area. The only thing I really miss is NHL hockey but at least I do get one game a week from the NBC Network. I can watch college football on the internet and don't need ESPN via the cable now.

If you need any help in selecting a TV antenna feel free to ask. I have a fair amount of experience with them and I've used and installed quite a few over the years.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM

9,878 posts, read 9,038,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I was seriously considering getting Google TV until i seen that all the broadcast tv channel prohibited google from streaming shows....GREED is the name of the game in TV...

Im also looking at Apple Tv which seems to have the better relationship but seems more nickle and diming...

What makes it hard for me to get rid of cable is DVR...im a total addict....but no Dvr i could totally cut that bill
Apple TV is a decent cheap ($99) little box if all you want is Netflix and iTunes store content, but that's all it does so far. (There's always the possibility it will do more, like Hulu or whatever, in the future. Plus some people hack it.)

Here's the thing about DVR: if you're watching stuff online later, you don't need a DVR for any reason I can think of, except ease. It's already like DVR. Pretty much anything you would DVR is available online the next day, and you can pause it, etc. You can't skip the commercials, but the commercials are fewer (though often repetitive). So it's a little more work, but it's pretty easy to catch most things, and for most channels if you watch within a few weeks you can get it free right on the TV channel web site. If it's all Showtime or HBO stuff, though, you'll have more trouble I guess. Not really sure.

The biggest hurdle remains how to deal with watching it on the TV. It's very easy to watch on your computer, or you can spend a few hundred bucks for a computer to attach directly to your TV, though that is awkward. That gives you the absolute most flexibility in content but the least useful controls. I haven't tried it but I am curious if Boxee Box solves this a bit ($200 box). That thing can do Hulu, Netflix and grab content from just about anywhere on the web as I understand it.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 AM

12,711 posts, read 9,823,392 times
I've been eyeing the Roku box < Roku Digital Video Player | Watch Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Video On Demand, and MLB.TV on Roku Player > for a while, but I'm still loathe to give up cable. It's easy, and I'm just not techy enough--I don't have wireless at home, I don't want cables running everywhere.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,118,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

The biggest hurdle remains how to deal with watching it on the TV. It's very easy to watch on your computer, or you can spend a few hundred bucks for a computer to attach directly to your TV, though that is awkward. That gives you the absolute most flexibility in content but the least useful controls.
I managed to buy a used Intel mac mini for $300. Then I grabbed a wireless keyboard/mouse. That solved the control issues. The mac mini does everything – just make sure it has HD output on it. Attach a cheap external hard drive and you'll never run out of space. The apple remote is great as well, works perfectly with Boxee.

It was a little jarring cutting cable at first, but you get used to it and your television watching habits change. It's not any worse – just different. You learn how to source your shows from different places. You can literally get ANYTHING if you dig hard enough – even live streaming channels. Combine with an HD antenna for local sports and you're all set.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,950,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The biggest hurdle remains how to deal with watching it on the TV. It's very easy to watch on your computer, or you can spend a few hundred bucks for a computer to attach directly to your TV, though that is awkward. That gives you the absolute most flexibility in content but the least useful controls. I haven't tried it but I am curious if Boxee Box solves this a bit ($200 box). That thing can do Hulu, Netflix and grab content from just about anywhere on the web as I understand it.
A PS3 is a great device for those cutting the cord. It can be used as a game player, blu-ray player and you can stream Netflix and Hulu through it on your tv. Also, I stream downloaded video content from my computer to the PS3 through a program called Tversity. So almost any video file I have saved on my PC can be streamed to my tv. I can't stand watching movies on my PC, so I use this a lot.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,483,634 times
Here's the thing: I am a disaaster when it comes to all the wires and hookups behind the TV. I just want something that I can buy off the shelf, hook up with one plug, do an EAST three-step set up to get going, and then lay down on the couch with the remote. All these computer options make my head spin, and it doesn't seem like any one device will do everything I want. Perhaps that day is coming, but we're not there yet for non-technophiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh