U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 AM

25 posts, read 22,543 times

Advertisements

Right i have asked about, place to live, schools and hospital.
My next question is how safe life is over there.
I read that crime is low and all that.

In England is okay, never had much problem, driver are very polite to other drivers and pedestrians. Heard of a few house robbery but it never happened to us. In general is alright.
Now Brasil, where I also live , it is another story all together.

We have a flat, and our flat has bars on windows, we would love to live in a house, but we worry about security. To live in a house here, it has to be people in the house all the time. You need electrical fences, big walls, guard dogs( rented or owned), and alarms. And all of this sometimes are not enough, the robbers just wait for you to arrive and point a gun and get in the house with you.

Flats these days are not a safer as it used to be, they often ran sack a whole building...

Our car was stolen from my husband at gun point on a Saturday afternoon in front or our building, we were lucky that we had insurance and more importantly, the robber didnt take my husband with him, something it happens a lot. they do that to make you sack money from cash machines etc...

Only marginal's have guns here.

To drive here is stressful, you have to be on the defensive all the time, i think if they were more polite things would be better...but I doubt this will ever happen...to be a pedestrian, you got to be really attentive, you can trust the cars. The light might be open for a pedestrian but you need to wait a few seconds for those cars that goes through red light. That goes to when you are driving to.

To walk at night you need to be really careful, if you can avoid doing is better. To arrive by car somewhere at night, you need to look around to make sure there is nobody around , just waiting to nick your car. To get your child out of the car sit, specially woman have to be really alert and always look around...these are time where robbers tend to act...

I know a woman that she parked her car as she turned the engine off, this guy know at her window and told her to get out, she said I need to get my baby out, and he showed her the gun and told her to get out. She open her door and threw the car keys as far a she could...( quite risky - but what would you do) so while he went to get it , she managed to get her baby from the car seat...and the guy got in the car and took off... This kind of things terrifies me....

Because of the way my garage is , I have to park in front of it, get out of the car , open the gate, go back to the car, drive in, get out of the car, and lock behind me. So when I am alone with my son, I have to park in front of it, take him out of his chair (without getting out of the car) then once he is with me, take him out of the car to open the gate, than put him on my lap or on the front sit and drive in. i do this in case someone comes to take the car, that way I can just get out quickly with my son...not sure how I will do with 2 children on the way... I wish I could change the garage, but it doesnt belong to the one person in particular, is that system: first in first served (sth like that)

But basically this is what I am used to : When I am in England is much more relaxing...and when I come back to Brasil , it takes me a while to get used to it again....

So basically , I would like to know, if how safe is in Pittsburgh: To do things like
Going to the park with kids
Going to play grounds
Walking around
Driving your car
Arriving home at night
How do you keep your house safe?
Do you have a lot of arm robbery? Residences/ Shops etc...
Do you have lots of guns problems?
Are driver there polite, or do you have to be on the defensive all the time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:52 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,065,851 times
Going to the park with kids: Very safe, all of the major parks in Pittsburgh are in good areas.
Going to play grounds: Same
Walking around: It depends on the area. Most areas are perfectly fine both day and night. There are some neighborhoods (Homewood, Hazelwood, Lincoln-Lemington, Hill District) where I would never walk around. Other areas (East Liberty, Sheraden) are mostly OK during the day but unsafe at night. Use your common sense and you should be OK.
Driving your car: I feel very safe driving my car in Pittsburgh. There a few neighborhoods I avoid driving through at night but these are few and easily avoidable.
Arriving home at night: Never had a problem.
How do you keep your house safe? I live in what is considered an "unsafe" neighborhood (Sheraden) and I feel completely safe with using only the deadbolts on my doors. Some neighbors have security systems but I've never found the need for it. If someone wants to break into my home, they will find a way in. Most areas in Pittsburgh are very safe.
Do you have a lot of arm robbery? No, not compared to other US cities.
Do you have lots of guns problems? No, not compared to other US cities.
Are driver there polite, or do you have to be on the defensive all the time? Drivers here seem to be more polite than other drivers in the US. Still, I often find myself driving defensively, especially on some of the more congested roads.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,514,256 times
Going to the park with kids
Very safe.

Going to play grounds
I doubt you'll be going to a community playground in a dangerous neighborhood, so the answer is very safe.

Walking around
Depends on where you live. Most areas of Pittsburgh are extremely safe---especially during daylight. The unsafe neighborhoods are rather isolated.

Driving your car
I'm not afraid to drive though neighborhoods that are considered dangerous. When I'm driving through those areas, I keep alert and always make sure I keep distance between my car and vehicles in front of me. I've never had a problem---not even a close call.

Arriving home at night
I live in the suburbs now. I feel just as safe arriving home at 3am as I do in the afternoon. When I lived in city neighborhoods, I felt safe but I was more aware and alert when arriving home late at night.

How do you keep your house safe?
There's no need where I live in the suburbs. We rarely lock our doors. When I lived in the city, I simply locked my doors. That's all.

Do you have a lot of arm robbery? Residences/ Shops etc...
Nope. I'd say burglaries are more likely than armed robberies. I don't think either are 'common.' When a neighborhood has lots of burglaries, the police usually catch the person quickly and the burglaries stop.

Do you have lots of guns problems?
I've never had a problem with owning my guns. I have many too! Seriously, the firearm violence occurs mostly in the dangerous neighborhoods or domestic situations elsewhere. I've never feared being shot in all my years of living here.

Are driver there polite, or do you have to be on the defensive all the time?
I think drivers are polite here. People often take turns, etc.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:41 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,228,483 times
Honestly for every question you asked it depends on the area entirely. Our crime here isn't even close to Brazil, but I'm willing to bet in many areas it is higher than what you have in England. We don't have much armed robbery here and our gun problems are a bit lower than other cities as well.

Drivers are a mixed bag. They're certainly better than other places I've been to (I'm looking at you, New England) but they are MUCH worse than any place I drove in Germany, Belgium, or France. We tolerate aggressive driving a lot more than they do in Europe, that's for sure.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:16 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,892,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd say burglaries are more likely than armed robberies. I don't think either are 'common.' When a neighborhood has lots of burglaries, the police usually catch the person quickly and the burglaries stop.
This is an important point. Even the safest neighborhoods might have a brief crime wave of some sort being carried out by a single person or a very small group of associates. But part of what makes those neighnorhoods have such low crime rates on average is that the police can concentrate on catching those people, which then ends the problem.

And of course those people are usually not criminal masterminds (they wouldn't be trying this if they were). So it typically doesn't take long.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:22 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,168,994 times
It depends what neighborhood you are in/around... but Pittsburgh is generally a very safe city.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:56 PM

2,162 posts, read 2,687,469 times
I'd say that Pittsburgh rates closer to where you live and England and is nothing like Brazil. As mentioned earlier, Pittsburgh is one of the safest large cities in the country. I have a home security alarm (got a good deal on it), but I have never been broken into. I wouldn't think of putting bars on the windows, and I wouldn't think of ever owning a gun. We're fortunate to have a very good quality of life here overall. Of course, there are areas in the metro with higher crime, but they tend to be isolated.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:04 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,514,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I wouldn't think of ever owning a gun.
I don't own firearms for security. They are purely for recreation at my house. But we're ready if our neighborhood is ever invaded. LOL

Old 02-08-2011, 02:33 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,228,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't own firearms for security. They are purely for recreation at my house. But we're ready if our neighborhood is ever invaded. LOL
I own mine for both. My brother's place got broken into, parent's got their door kicked in while they were home (luckily they were armed!), and some dolt tried breaking my window while I was home. People are poor and desperate, might as well be safe!

Also, firearms are just plain fun too. Nothing like some target shooting and plinking. What firearms do you have?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM

1,563 posts, read 1,773,538 times
There is a small chance you a white, law obiding citizen for you to get shot randomly walking around even the the hood. While it is so easy to get jumped at night if you're white and walking in the wrong neiborghood!!!
Here is a list of places to avoid
Avoid in general (Never vist during the dark)
Homewood North
Homewood West
Homewood South
Terrance Village
Bedford Dwellings
Most of*Crawford Roberts Hill
Most of Middle Hill
East Hills
Northview Heights*
Most of Manchester
Larimer
Part of Wilkinsburg
Beltzhoover
Mt. Oliver Boro
Knoxville
Most of Allentown
Arlington
Most of Hazelwood*
Part of Homestead*
Glen Hazel
Most of McKeesport
Garfield (Penn ave area exluded)
Most of Linclon-Lemmington-Belmar
Duquense
Part of Penn Hills
Most of Aliquippa (Beaver County)
Mt. Oliver*
Arlington Heights
Carrick
Avoid at night
Parts of East Liberty
Part of Sheraden*
Most of Fairywood
Braddock
Rankin
Most of California-Kirkbride*
Most of Perry South
Most of Marshall-Shadeland
Most of Clairton
Part of North Braddock
Part of Swissvale
Part of Ambridge (Beaver County)
Part of Arnold (Westmoreland County)
Part of New Kensington (Westmoreland County)
Part of Mckees Rocks
Part of Crafton Heights (only the Greenway Projects)
Part of Moneseen*(Mon. Valley)
Part of Donora (Mon. Valley)
Part of South Oakland

There are some iffy places that may/ may not be too scary depending on your standards of safety:
Part of Central Northside
Most of Troy Hill
Part of East Allegheny
Most of West Oakland
Part of Beaver Falls (Beaver County)
Part of Highland Park
Part of Upper Larwanceville
Part of Central Larwancville
Most of North Versailles
Part of East Pittsburgh
Part of Elliot
West End*
Chartiers
Part of FineView
Part of Brighton Heights
Most of Spring Garden
Part of Coraopolis
Part of Mt. Washington
Part of Bluff
Idk what some of your are posting... Most 15year old gang members walk around with 9mm/ 40cals in there pants!!! It's a blue collar town... Many people own guns... Even in the suburbs people own guns, but only drugies and real hard core gangbangas use them for their "business."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh