Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Just in: Guster is coming back to Pittsburgh to Stage AE on Apr 30.

I saw them at the Arts Festival last year. Pretty good.
Awesome! These are the kind of acts I was hoping AE would pull in. The TRUE test will be how long they can move a decent amount of tickets for the acts they have scheduled there. If we have trouble filling up venues like Smalls and Zoo, we have some work to do if we want to fill up AE sized venues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:47 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
This city has never been very supportive of developing a music scene and has always been dominated by sports/bar culture. It seems like every venue is stuck out in some weird spot that doesn't make any sense...I mean, Mr. Smalls is great but who wants to go out to Millvale? Why we don't have ANYTHING located downtown is a total travesty.
Agree. And Zoo really is awful when it comes to sound.... and drink prices.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:50 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
There really isn't much of one but I think with the Consol Energy Center and Stage AE opening last year, it will definitely open up more possibilities for groups wanting to come preform here in Pittsburgh. Also on a related note, the arena got an award today as the best new major concert venue in the country.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Awesome! These are the kind of acts I was hoping AE would pull in. The TRUE test will be how long they can move a decent amount of tickets for the acts they have scheduled there. If we have trouble filling up venues like Smalls and Zoo, we have some work to do if we want to fill up AE sized venues.
Only if they could get MGMT, The Dead Weather, Spoon, Band of Horses, Arcade Fire and other true alternative bands that either never been here or haven't been here in a long time.

BTW, here's Stage AE's page for event updates...

PromoWest Productions - Concerts and Live Entertainment

Old 02-08-2011, 01:53 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
If we have trouble filling up venues like Smalls and Zoo,
Which is a real shame. People here just aren't that interested in going out to concerts. Last year I saw a show with Neon Trees, Paper Tongues, and Civil Twilight for $10 bucks at Altar Bar. That show would have been sold out anywhere else with a venue of that size. 3 bands have had good play on alternative rock stations (well, not counting The X because they haven't diversified their playlist in 15 years) and the show was dirt cheap. Yet, the venue was just over 1/2 full.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
There really isn't much of one but I think with the Consol Energy Center and Stage AE opening last year, it will definitely open up more possibilities for groups wanting to come preform here in Pittsburgh. Also on a related note, the arena got an award today as the best new major concert venue in the country.
That's good news! I wish Muse would come and play there, but I think thier not tourning now.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Which is a real shame. People here just aren't that interested in going out to concerts. Last year I saw a show with Neon Trees, Paper Tongues, and Civil Twilight for $10 bucks at Altar Bar. That show would have been sold out anywhere else with a venue of that size. 3 bands have had good play on alternative rock stations (well, not counting The X because they haven't diversified their playlist in 15 years) and the show was dirt cheap. Yet, the venue was just over 1/2 full.
Agreed about The X. I think that same bill may have sold out in DC Baltimore and Columbus.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:56 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,745 times
Quote:
Agree. And Zoo really is awful when it comes to sound.... and drink prices.
yup...going to see Jimmy Eat World play a show on Valentine's Day. They have to be one of the most genuine and fun live bands that I've ever seen...and they're stuck at Club Zoo . I saw them at the Homestead Library Music Hall a few years back and was floored at how amazing they were...another example of a nicely sized/classy venue that is in the worst location known to man. I'm guessing that they were stuck out in dodge the last time and wanted to be closer to the city this time around...but unbeknownst to them, they chose the hell that is Club Zoo .That place is literally just a dance club that acquired a music license for additional revenue, it's not even a legit space for a concert and works horribly from all angles and perspectives. Altar Bar kicks its @ss up and down the Strip in every way.

Another funny one was sticking the Silversun Pickups in "The Chez-a-Rena" out in Cheswick. Literally an old rollerskate rink turned rap dance club turned dinky concert venue that now sits on top of a Good Will surrounded by a failed strip mall...how in the world they ended up there was beyond me. Funny thing was that it had great acoustics and they gave out pizza on the side...so many jokes were cracked over the mic about it, they supposedly brought roller skates and wanted to have a skate party or some junk afterwards .

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Agreed about The X. I think that same bill may have sold out in DC Baltimore and Columbus.
The X has become what DVE is but only for 90s washouts instead of classic rock...satellite radio and Pandora has saved my life.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:01 PM

210 posts, read 471,278 times
Quote:
I've gone to Mr. Smalls a couple times (most recently to see CKY) and hated it every time. I like the venue, really it's quite fantastic, but the parking sucks ba**s. Big ones. Being disabled and having to park blocks away turned me off to going there. I think the parking situation is a lot of it's lost appeal.

I used to peruse open mic nights in the South Side. I think there's lots of hidden talent in Pittsburgh, and didn't find it lacking at all. I think most places don't get the word out about their open mics so the draw is low, thus lots of people remain largely unknown. Paul Tabachneck was another artist from Pittsburgh who performed last year in the Art Festival. You can YouTube him. AcousticCafe has a lot of local artists and where they can be heard. Rusted Root, yeah, that takes me back to the 90's alright! The Clarks takes me back as well.

By the way, I noticed this older thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...-come-out.html

Old 02-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Another funny one was sticking the Silversun Pickups in "The Chez-a-Rena" out in Cheswick. Literally an old rollerskate rink turned rap dance club turned dinky concert venue that now sits on top of a Good Will surrounded by a failed strip mall...how in the world they ended up there was beyond me.
I was just thinking about thta. I wanted to go, but sincee I don't have a car, I keep wondering how to get there. I don't evenm know Cheswick!

Add to my wish list The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Alarm, The Smithereens, Psychedelic Furs and Blondie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh