Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

One of the perks I get for being "friends" on Facebook with the City of Pittsburgh is real-time access to many interesting topics our fair municipal entity posts. Not long ago I just noticed this business article from The Atlantic gracing my news feed:

Where the Brains Are Going - Richard Florida - Business - The Atlantic

In this article Richard Florida, author of The Creative Class, profiles the recent study conducted by demographer Richard Frey of the Brookings Institution of migration patterns of young adults from 2007-2009. Frey studied and charted the migration trends of both young adults and college graduates across the nation's 52 largest metropolitan areas, which includes Greater Pittsburgh.

As you can see in the chart Pittsburgh is second only to New Orleans in terms of changing losses to gains (and I'd project New Orleans is only edging us out due to its continued economic healing after Hurricane Katrina).

What does this mean? Essentially we're estimated to have finaly ebbed our "Brain Drain" since the "Great Recession" (or the "Great Reset"). I'm a college graduate who moved into the city in 2010, and I know other young adults living in the BosWash Corridor who, like me, are tiring of the "rat race" already in our 20s and want to re-establish ourselves in cities like Pittsburgh so we can prepare to start our families in healthier overall environments with lower stress, less expense, and friendlier surroundings. Skeptics may also chime in to proclaim that this may just be a case of more young adults moving back to Pittsburgh to live with their parents due to their inability to find gainful employment after graduation, and I do admit that probably has some levity to it as well.

Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Pittsburgh would indeed be number one for the reasons you stated. I think that is great news and thanks for posting that. Best news I have heard in quite a while.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:07 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
One of the perks I get for being "friends" on Facebook with the City of Pittsburgh is real-time access to many interesting topics our fair municipal entity posts. Not long ago I just noticed this business article from The Atlantic gracing my news feed:

Where the Brains Are Going - Richard Florida - Business - The Atlantic
I remember him. He's the one who declared Pittsburgh "38th Gayest City in America" in 2002 or '03.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I remember him. He's the one who declared Pittsburgh "38th Gayest City in America" in 2002 or '03.
Things changed fast. We're now the 5th gayest city.
Gayest Cities in America | Travel | The Advocate

Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Where brains go...zombies follow!!!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Where brains go...zombies follow!!!
That's a question I've always had for the Pittsburgh bashers: if zombies rely on brains for food, and if people in the Pittsburgh area have no brains, then how are zombies able to flourish in Pittsburgh?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 PM

332 posts, read 524,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
That's a question I've always had for the Pittsburgh bashers: if zombies rely on brains for food, and if people in the Pittsburgh area have no brains, then how are zombies able to flourish in Pittsburgh?
Well obviously that proves that people in Pittsburgh must have brains, otherwise where would they have found the zombies for Night of the Living Dead?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 PM

191 posts, read 601,942 times
That's great news... I'm a college grad too, and I'm relocating there next week! I think it's also that the college educated are making better informed decisions on where to live. Im from NYC and I love it there, buts it's just too damn expensive and unrealistic to make a living there unless your making 100k or more a year and single. I chose Pittsburgh because of a job opportunity and the whole "livability" factor.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:30 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThaGrind View Post
That's great news... I'm a college grad too, and I'm relocating there next week! I think it's also that the college educated are making better informed decisions on where to live. Im from NYC and I love it there, buts it's just too damn expensive and unrealistic to make a living there unless your making 100k or more a year and single. I chose Pittsburgh because of a job opportunity and the whole "livability" factor.
I'm glad you'll be coming next week i/o this week b/c the temps will be warmer; right now the range has been -5 to about 20 degrees out! It's cold!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 AM

191 posts, read 601,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
I'm glad you'll be coming next week i/o this week b/c the temps will be warmer; right now the range has been -5 to about 20 degrees out! It's cold!

Thanks! Yea that's pretty rough temps, especially with the wind chill. Only a couple more months of winter, then onto the spring... Yyeeaaaa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh