Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:03 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Gotta love the clueless yinzers on this thread that can't tell the difference between the colors yellow and gold.

And to the people saying that this is not music... what makes you an expert on what is or isn't music anyway? Music is art conveyed through sound, and pretty much anything can be considered art.

To make a point, I bet we can get a bunch of classical music enthusiasts to come on here and call the rock "music" that you all love nothing but garbage noise, and get you all fired up. Even though I loathe country, I can still admit that it is indeed a form of music. So my final word to all of you haters is... I respectfully suggest that you take your elitist stances on music and shove them.
So eloquently said..

BTW, love your status update ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
To make a point, I bet we can get a bunch of classical music enthusiasts to come on here and call the rock "music" that you all love nothing but garbage noise, and get you all fired up. Even though I loathe country, I can still admit that it is indeed a form of music.
I agree with that, I HATE COUNTRY, shot my wife, lost my dog, got drunk, wrecked my truck, or any combination of the 4 and you have a song.

Doesn't mean it's not music.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:44 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Quote:
I respectfully suggest that you take your elitist stances on music and shove them.
Wasn't that a country hit a while back? Johnny paycheck's "Take Your Elitist Stance and Shove It." No, wait, I'm confused again...

Reference the discussion of what exactly is the color "gold"...

Gold (color) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Gold, also called golden, is one of a variety of orange-yellow color blends used to give the impression of the color of the element gold.

The web color gold is sometimes referred to as golden to distinguish it from the color metallic gold. The use of gold as a color term in traditional usage is more often applied to the color "metallic gold" (shown below).
...and further down, under "Sports":

Quote:
Fans of the National Football League will note the Pittsburgh Steelers, Washington Redskins, and Green Bay Packers as having gold as a color. The gold they use, however, is a distinctly more yellow color (akin to the non-metallic web color version) than the traditional "old gold" used by the New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers, and Saint Louis Rams. In both cases, the color is referred to as "gold", with the yellow shade sometimes referred to as "athletic gold" when distinguishing it from the metallic shades.
So, at least according to Wikipedia, it's close enough to be called gold.

Somebody have a more authoritative source they can cite?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Most colleges don't even ALLOW you to use WIKIPEDIA as a source... so who cares what they have to say..lmao

Old 02-16-2011, 01:07 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Gold - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Well, what they are saying is a few teams in the NFL, and some other sports teams, call something "gold" which is actually just yellow. Hence the term "athletic gold", which could be defined as "not really gold but yellow, but a sports team says it is gold anyway."

Incidentally, I heard once that sports teams didn't like to use the word "yellow" because it was associated with cowardice. Seems silly to me, but who knows.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,985 times
Default Clutch the Pearls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
You obviously do not have any knowledge of the Steelers of the 70's. The color back then was indeed closer in color to GOLD. Thus the reference to them as the "black & GOLD". There is history an TRADITION to Black & GOLD. They were NEVER called black & yellow until this LAME song came out. The current color is yellow however the Steelers will ALWAYS be called Black & GOLD. TRADITION, get it.

I and MANY others will NEVER refer to the Steelers as black & yellow, it's just WRONG and LAME.

If this "artist" can write a "song" that rhymes with GOLD then I would have no problem giving him props. TRADITION & HISTORY............get it.
No knowledge of the Steelers of the 70s? Closer to gold? This discussion is getting semantically ridiculous. I'm not disputing that a deep yellow can be called gold. But to argue that somehow calling the school-bus colored pants of the Steelers yellow is incorrect? Gentlemen, put your color wheels away! Retract the claws! Yes you are correct, the traditional color of the Steelers was "gold", the traditional Terrible Towels were "gold", the Pittsburgh city ordinance governing the proper color in the coat of arms and flag refers to "gold". Congratulations! However, if you look on the Pittsburgh Steelers site where they sell Terrible Towels , unless my eyes deceive me the vintage Terrible Towel and the writing on the Black Terrible Towel are much more "gold" while the contemporary Terrible Towels are a bright banana yellow . I'm sure this Wiz Khalifa kid was born sometime in the late 1980s and for his entire life the Steelers have been Black & Yellow not Black & Gold. Don't blame it on the rapper, blame it on the Steelers for changing their color, shrinking their shoulder pads, and changing the typeface on the jersey numbers (all alterations that I personally don't like but also don't lose sleep over).

Quote:

Somebody have a more authoritative source they can cite?
From the same Wikipedia entry for "Gold"

"Vegas gold, along with navy blue, is one of the official athletic colors for the University of Pittsburgh Panthers. It is also one of the official colors of the University of Central Florida Knights and the Pittsburgh Penguins, along with black and white. Although in the case of the Pittsburgh Penguins the color previously had been yellow."

So although the Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins all used to have the same colors, you are now insinuating via Wikipedia that the Penguins were yellow but the Steelers and Pirates are gold? I'm just not seeing why it is incorrect to call the Steelers black and yellow. By the way, last year Prince came out with a song
"Purple and Gold" for the Vikings and they got beat by the Saints (who actually are gold). Male musical artists, if you love your football team don't come out with a song about them. It will cause them to lose!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:42 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Most colleges don't even ALLOW you to use WIKIPEDIA as a source... so who cares what they have to say..lmao
Well, when the average post here rises to anything approaching college level discourse, I'm sure many of us will have to disqualify ourselves.

I do notice that you didn't offer a more credible alternative. Can you?

Quote:
Well, what they are saying is a few teams in the NFL, and some other sports teams, call something "gold" which is actually just yellow. Hence the term "athletic gold", which could be defined as "not really gold but yellow, but a sports team says it is gold anyway."
They draw a distinction between other (yellowish), golden shades and "Metallic gold." I don't think anybody is claiming that the Steeles use anything resembling metallic gold.

Quote:
So although the Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins all used to have the same colors, you are now insinuating via Wikipedia that the Penguins were yellow but the Steelers and Pirates are gold? I'm just not seeing why it is incorrect to call the Steelers black and yellow.
No, I'm insinuating that it is the Steelers' choice to call that particular color gold. If the song is really an homage to the team and its colors, why disrespect the team's decision to call their color "gold"? Cite me any other context in which the Steelers (or Pirates, or Pens), are referred to as the "Black and Yellow".

BTW, this may be the silliest argumernt I've yet taken part in here on CD Forums. Just sayin...

Old 02-16-2011, 03:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I know people who went to Allerdice and have never heard of that.

BTW, now I'm listening to Vampire Weekend. I doubt Wiz will be on my iPod anytime soon. lol
Vampire Weekend is garbage, for real.

Still music, though.

Not sure why I came back (to this thread, or this forum). Oh yeah, to LOL at somebody who thinks rapping about weed makes you a "drug addict".

I'd be fine with the mods deleting my account, seriously. Oh well, I guess it's out of my hands now.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
If the song is really an homage to the team and its colors, why disrespect the team's decision to call their color "gold"?
Is Wikipedia disrespecting the team by noting that what they are calling gold could also be called yellow?

Calling it yellow isn't a sign of disrespect, it is using your eyes. It is the people who are getting all huffy about using an alternative term that is clearly accurate who are being silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh