Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,351 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My hubby and our 2 small kiddos(one 3 and one under a year) are looking for some great neighborhoods in either north or south Pittsburgh. He'll be working in the U of Pitt area but we don't want to live in the heart of downtown. I've done some research and read some threads on this site and I just need to narrow some of the recommendations down(I've heard Allegheny West, Northshore, Sewickly, Summer hill, Mt. Lebanon and many others are good neighborhoods, but I just don't know. Here are our wishes:

-Looking for apt or condo(for rent)
-SAFE neighborhood with nice park nearby(preferably walking distance)
-Shopping mall and grocery stores nearby
-Library in the area would be nice too
-20 min or less commute to work(close enough to get to work quickly yet far enough for myself and kiddos not to have to be caught up in the craziness of the "big city" if you will)

What are your thoughts on north v. south pittsburgh?? Which would possibly be a better fit for our situation? Safer?

Also, if you know of any condos, apartment complexes(or townhomes) that you would recommend in either the north or south pitt area, please, any first hand advice would help. I know this is a lot, so feel free to only answer what you want to. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,824,069 times
Wouldn't it be easier to find a house, since you have children?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:01 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,866,736 times
Why rule out East?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:31 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,536,533 times
What kind of rent price range?

Realistic 20-minute commute to Pitt/Oakland is going to keep you mostly within the city limits, which isn't to say there aren't some nice neighborhoods you could choose, some of which you mentioned. Although Allegheny West and the North Shore are urban neighborhoods, which it doesn't sound like you are interested in. Summer Hill is almost like a suburb, not sure how much in the way of rentals. Squirrel Hill and Regent Square would be obvious places to look, sort of split the difference between urban and suburban feel, though they are east rather than north or south. (For getting to Oakland, this is not a drawback; they're not that far.) Suburbs like Mt Lebanon and Sewickley are outside that 20-minute limit. Aspinwall might be something to look at if you can find something.

Are you anticipating finding a place that you'll stay long enough for the children to start school? This may change your focus a little, or not, depending upon your plans in that regard.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:42 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,859,417 times
Perry North/Perry South puts you right near Riverview Park and the library right on Federal Street.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,912,458 times
I'm not sure why you you are focused on North and South. Maybe you've just heard the terms "North Hills" and "South Hills" thrown around too much? Oakland is in the east end of the city, so most of the quickest commutes are going to be from there also.

I'd suggest Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Regent Square, Point Breeze, and Friendship. All of those will give you a convenient location, without having to deal with most of the negative aspects of urban living that it seems you're trying to avoid.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,771,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Newbie View Post
Hello all,

My hubby and our 2 small kiddos(one 3 and one under a year) are looking for some great neighborhoods in either north or south Pittsburgh. He'll be working in the U of Pitt area but we don't want to live in the heart of downtown. I've done some research and read some threads on this site and I just need to narrow some of the recommendations down(I've heard Allegheny West, Northshore, Sewickly, Summer hill, Mt. Lebanon and many others are good neighborhoods, but I just don't know. Here are our wishes:

-Looking for apt or condo(for rent)
-SAFE neighborhood with nice park nearby(preferably walking distance)
-Shopping mall and grocery stores nearby
-Library in the area would be nice too
-20 min or less commute to work(close enough to get to work quickly yet far enough for myself and kiddos not to have to be caught up in the craziness of the "big city" if you will)

What are your thoughts on north v. south pittsburgh?? Which would possibly be a better fit for our situation? Safer?

Also, if you know of any condos, apartment complexes(or townhomes) that you would recommend in either the north or south pitt area, please, any first hand advice would help. I know this is a lot, so feel free to only answer what you want to. Thanks!
Aspinwall has the things listed, is easy to commute and safe. Nice to walk and kid friendly.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,912,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Aspinwall has the things listed, is easy to commute and safe. Nice to walk and kid friendly.
Aspinwall might be more than a 20 minute commute during rush hour. Oakland of course is pretty heavy with traffic, and so are the two routes leading to Aspinwall: 28 and Washington Blvd. I don't know how much of a deal breaker that is or isn't for the OP.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:13 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,587,501 times
I'll recommend the neighborhood I always seem to recommend: Regent Square. It's to the east, though, instead of the north or south, but it fits your criteria very well.

Regent Square sits just east of Frick Park, which is the largest of Pittsburgh's city parks. The neighborhood straddles the line between the city of Pittsburgh and the inner suburb of Edgewood. Housing is inexpensive there, and there's a small business district on Braddock Avenue. It's also very convenient to I-376.

On the other side of I-376 is Edgewood Towne Centre, which is where the nearest supermarket is. There's also a gas station in that area. The nearest "mall" is The Waterfront, which is an outdoor mall about 10 minutes down Braddock Avenue and over the Rankin Bridge. (You'd make a right after crossing the bridge.)

From Regent Square, the commute to the universities would be no more than 20 minutes via Braddock and Forbes Avenues. You'll pass through the neighborhood of Squirrel Hill en route, which is another nice neighborhood, but noticeably more expensive. As for libraries, the Carnegie Library's main branch is near both the universities, so if you're in that area, then you can go to the library.

And if you find your pad there, then try to make sure they don't come to wreck it. If they do, then make sure that you're out in your nine-deuce Cad', OK?

"Insane In The Brain" - Cypress Hill

Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,866,736 times
I might note that Regent Square is our neighborhood (where we have been raising a young child), and I agree it would be a good fit (aside from being East).

For libraries, there is a recently renovated Carnegie branch in Squirrel Hill (with a nice children's area), and there is also a library nearby in Edgewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh