Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 10:13 AM

5 posts, read 21,001 times

Advertisements

My partner and I will be relocating to Pittsburgh in the next few months and are having a hard time deciding on the perfect place (preferably suburb) to live. I know there are several similar posts on this forum, so I apologize if this seems like a duplicate post, but I can’t find another with our exact search criteria. Here is what we want:
1. Within a half hour commute from UPitt.
2. A liberal/young enough community that no one will really care that lesbians are moving in.
3. The ability to buy a house with a substantial yard (I know this is a bit arbitrary, we just want more than the small lots that are typical to the city) for under 300K.
4. Some sort of down town area with restaurants and shops. Nothing extensive, but enough that we wouldn’t have to travel far to go out for dinner or out for a drink.

I love the look and feel of Squirrel Hill, we just want more a bit more space and less people/cars/noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 10:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Anything suburban that's close enough won't have a 'downtown area.' The best you can do is chose a suburb that has shopping nearby---most do though. Your price range is definitely doable in almost any suburb. I recommend sticking to the northern suburbs for a convenient commute into Oakland.

As for who would no care about Lesbians moving in, I'm sure you can find prejudice anywhere. But overall, Pittsburghers do not care much about what other people do. We're not the bible belt. There's no one township that is more conservative than the next. Bible thumping Christians---or even devote Catholics---are not the norm here. They are sprinkled throughout every neighborhood though. I've noticed that very few of my son's friends even go to church.

I recommend Fox Chapel or Hampton. The commute is just across the Highland Park bridge. You'll get into Oakland in under 30 minutes and in some areas under 20 minutes. Shaler is just as close but it's not as upscale so you might run into more of a blue collar mentality towards your lifestyle than you would in Fox Chapel or Hampton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh