Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 02:46 PM

104 posts, read 353,418 times

Advertisements

Hi--

My family is relocating from Boston, we'll be arriving next week. The home we were going to buy has fallen through (long, ugly story) and we find ourselves homeless.

We're a family of four, my husband and myself, 6-year old boy and a 3-year old little girl, along with two older dogs. Our things will be in storage for a month.

We are hoping to find a temporary situation for the month of August, and during that time find our house. We need at least two bedrooms, preferably three, safe good neighborhood, within commuting distance to southside for my husband, who starts his new job Aug 1. An apartment or a house would be fine, we'd rather not stay in a hotel, since we don't do too well all in one room like the Clampetts.

I also have a fantasy of renting someone's cabin on a lake somewhere (within commuting distance, of course) and taking a breath for a month.

Where do I start?

Thanks.

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 03:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhprentiss View Post
An apartment or a house would be fine, we'd rather not stay in a hotel, since we don't do too well all in one room like the Clampetts.
The Clampetts lived in a mansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhprentiss
I also have a fantasy of renting someone's cabin on a lake somewhere (within commuting distance, of course) and taking a breath for a month.
Your fantasy is unlikely since there aren't many lakes around the Pittsburgh area. You might be able to find something on the river, but I think you'll be wasting your time focusing on that since you have less than two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhprentiss
We are hoping to find a temporary situation for the month of August, and during that time find our house. We need at least two bedrooms, preferably three, safe good neighborhood, within commuting distance to southside for my husband, who starts his new job Aug 1.
Besides large apartment complexes, there are hotels in Robinson Township and near the airport that have apartment type rooms. For instance, look into places like Springhill Suites and Embassy Suites. Since you'll need something furnished, you could look into the corporate condos down near northside. Here's a link: Corporate Housing and Temporary Housing - Pittsburgh - Downtown/North Shore - BridgeStreet Worldwide

Last edited by Hopes; 07-20-2007 at 03:38 PM..

Old 07-20-2007, 03:28 PM

Here's a one bedroom partment with a view of the city advertised on Craig's List as temporary housing: Grandview Avenue temporary housing--fully furnished, wi-fi, cable (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/vac/370154061.html - broken link)

The following sites have some other short term corporate housing options:

Short Term and Corporate Housing in Pittsburgh, PA - CorporateHousing.com

Furnished Short Term Apartments & Housing - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh Corporate Housing - Temporary Furnished Apartments Pittsburgh, PA

CHECK THIS OUT! RIGHT IN SOUTH SIDE: Carson Street Commons ~ Pittsburgh, PA Fully Furnished and Equipped Short-Term Apartments from Corporate Accommodations

Old 07-20-2007, 03:32 PM

Here's a huge list of extended stay options:

Pittsburgh Area Extended Stay Hotels and Corporate Housing - Biz-stay.com

Old 07-20-2007, 03:43 PM

Here are cabin rentals at Morainne State Park:

Cabins: Moraine State Park / Pennsylvania / Butler County / Pittsburgh Camping

Your husband's commute would be a little over an hour.

(These look much smaller than a corporate hotel suite.)

Old 07-20-2007, 03:47 PM

If your husband doesn't mind commuting for 1-1/2 hours (maybe 2) each way, there are plenty of beautiful rentals in the ski resort area. Do some searches for Seven Springs and Hidden Valley rentals. You'll see there are many that are very nice. I just don't know if it's fair to make your husband have such a long commute.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:51 PM

176 posts, read 766,980 times
I have a 4 bedroom apt..In the Troy Hill area that over looks the Strip District with a Killer view of Downtown...It will cost you extra for the 2 dogs...But we do have immediate availability...Send me a PM and I will give you my property managers phone number...very safe..my property manager actually lives in the building as well...

Old 07-20-2007, 04:00 PM

TRO Z, are you prepared to provide it furnished---including linens and kitchen supplies? I hope you plan to give her a heck of a deal since Troy HIll isn't exactly anyone's idea of dream vacation. Those corporate apartments cost approximately 3k. I don't think you should charge more than 1.5k (including dogs and utilities) because of the location.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:16 PM

176 posts, read 766,980 times
One sleeper sofa and 2 beds...we do corp housing monthly...most of the time in our Mt. Washington rentals...but those are full...so I am giving someone a cost effective solution...Since no short term housing I know in Pittsburgh will take pets...And yes you know from previous posts..We do charge more for pets...Alot more...

This is a nice apt in troy hill and has one of the best views of the city...

Old 07-20-2007, 08:06 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,638,635 times
We were able to find temporary house rental, for 4 months, through a local real estate agent. We were moving here from Washington State and did not want to buy right away. The agent found a house that had been on the market for 9 months and the owner was more than ready to have some help with his mortgage payment for a few months. We had pets as well. We are leaving next week (closing on the house the bought). It worked out perfect for us. We used Howard Hanna as our real estate company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh