Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 AM

15 posts, read 33,572 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Pittsburgh in the spring. this is the first time moving in my life. so i really have no clue what to expect. ANY tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:27 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradridesbmx View Post
I want to move to Pittsburgh in the spring. this is the first time moving in my life. so i really have no clue what to expect. ANY tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
What exactly are you asking? For tips specific to moving? Or tips about Pittsburgh? Do you know where you'll be moving to yet? Will you be getting an apartment or a house? How far from the city are you now?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 AM

tips specific about moving. i have no idea where i will be moving. i want an apartment. and im about..6 hrs from the city haha. i live in Michigan

Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradridesbmx View Post
tips specific about moving. i have no idea where i will be moving. i want an apartment. and im about..6 hrs from the city haha. i live in Michigan
How much do you want to spend per month, and do you want to be located close to a job or school?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:22 AM

I want to be close to nightlife. And possibly my job too but i dont even have any job prospects yet. Id like to spend a max of 500 for rent since i wont have roomates to help.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Firstly, if you have no family and friends here to help, you probably need $2000 to move and not be all stressed out. Figure first and last months rent and a month to find some kind of job. $500 a month isn't all that much, but not that bad either. If you are just throwing stuff in a car and driving here that is okay as well. For that kind of money, I would look for something small in a better area. Maybe around the South Side if you want night life, but you aren't going to live like a king/queen and probably be on the slopes not the flats. If I was young, I would live there. Shadyside area is too expensive to be close to the nightlife. Squirrel Hill is possible, but that place would be much more boring at nighttime IMHO. Go to the South Side and never look back. Get on Craigslist and do a search. That place is great and only getting better and better.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
You can get some cheap rents in areas like Polish Hill, and parts of Bloomfield and Lawrenceville, and you could maybe add Millvale to that list. That general area has a lot going on, and it is also easy to get from there to the Greater Downtown area or the rest of the East End (e.g., Shadyside and East Liberty) for more nightlife options.

Edit: South Side Slopes is a good suggestion too. Maybe look at Mt. Washington as well (it gets cheaper off the ridge). Finally, Greenfield isn't too expensive and it is convenient for both the South Side and other parts of the East End. I'd also mention Oakland, but that is real student ghetto territory--still, you can get cheap places.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:03 AM

264 posts, read 492,484 times
Maybe reading through some of these will give you a little more direction

City living for a young professional

Young college student relocating

Another newcomer to Pittsburgh

In late 20's, looking for trendy areas in PGH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh