Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:55 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times

Advertisements

Well, at least I'll still have my Saturday outings to the Carnegie Library in Oakland. That should be around for a while, I hope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:29 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,597 times
Very sad, but not surprising news. I have spent more time and money than I care to admit at the Highland Road store, and have enjoyed it ever since it opened, as I live 3 miles away. I hope " my " store gets a stay of execution.
Borders has indeed made numerous poor business decisions, and the bookstore/ publishing industry is in serious decline, but I will NEVER buy a bloody kindle !
Barnes & Noble are all sizzle, no steak. Attractive stores, with very limited inventory, and little in the way of sales or coupons, oustside of their remainder section. For substance, Borders always had them beat; sad that the better store will likely disappear.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:57 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Ugh that sucks. First B&N in Squirrel Hill and now Borders in East Liberty. Thanks for the info, Fleetie.
And Joseph Beth Bookseller/ Southside Works closed also. Very sad!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Well, at least I'll still have my Saturday outings to the Carnegie Library in Oakland. That should be around for a while, I hope!
I don't know, libraries are in trouble, too! I have to admit buying books online is very convenient but I always like to look through and peruse before purchasing. I guess that's the trade off.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
I seem to remember The Carnegie Library having financial issues in recent years.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM

KDKA news tonight said both Northway Mall and Pittsburgh Mills Border's stores will stay open.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:45 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
KDKA news tonight said both Northway Mall and Pittsburgh Mills Border's stores will stay open.
I don't know anything about Pittsburgh Mills (never been there) but from what I thought, not many people shop there. If that's the case, why would they keep open that Borders?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:03 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I don't know anything about Pittsburgh Mills (never been there) but from what I thought, not many people shop there. If that's the case, why would they keep open that Borders?
Because the South Hills and Monvroeville Borders locations have B&N's right across the street that do much more business.... Pittsburgh Mills only has Borders

Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Yeah, South Hills and Monroeville were obvious with the B&Ns so close. I do wonder about Mills, though. They would close anything considering "underperforming". Lack of competition alone is not a consideration. So it must be doing reasonably okay. As you can see, they are set to close the newest store in town in East Liberty even though there is not competition around there. It's just the wrong spot for such a store I guess. And from what I could tell, it wasn't a particularly well-run unit in the chain either.

Oddly, another thing is that all the stores closing are the big ones. None of their silly old mall stores are closing at this point (though they closed a lot of those already, true). In Columbus, for example, they are closing the two big stores and keeping an old mall store (I don't know where it is) that in the store listing is still considered a Waldenbooks! Ancient stuff there. So maybe the fact that the Mills place is actually integral to the mall is a factor in it doing better, oddly enough. One of the two stores closing in Columbus is store #2. South Hills Pittsburgh is store #9. Sad times. I remember Store #2 fondly as my first intro to the company back in the early 90s. Then I traveled out of the way down to the south hills until they finally put the one at Northway Mall.

And yeah, how often do I go there now? Not too often. I'm actually finding that I read a lot fewer books at this point. Damn internet.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Given that pattern, it could be a lease issue as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh