U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:42 AM

11 posts, read 13,276 times

Advertisements

I have been renting for some time. And with children, it is getting expensive, as rent prices keep rising. I have found a few homes in Mckeesport, that I can afford, and live normal, financially. It will help us greatly, and keep us stable to own instead of renting.
Is it really that bad there? This is on Freemont street, about a block away from Versailles ave. I have driven down there late at night. etc. But it is cold out, and I cannot tell the activity level in the winter. I am very strict with my kids, and they will be home schooled anyhow, as they are now. I live in a nice community where I rent, and I still home school them, due to the drugs. I can no longer afoord to keep renting, the rent is getting out of control. I guess I am just looking for some others views. It would be nice to not have to worry about a landlord, and trying to find a rental every few years, when they decide to send the rent through the roof. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 AM

712 posts, read 1,081,475 times
A little secret to living in the city.
If you act as if you belong there - no one will bother you.
Maybe this is the reason why when you go to a big city - no one talks to each other as they walk down the street. They don't want anyone to get to know them or what they do or where they are going.
I wouldn't worry about it, just move there and see if you can get a month by month lease to start. If the landlords are desperate to find new tenants - they will accommodate you.

One key is to look at the apartments after 4 PM - preferably around 6 - 8 PM
That way you will know what kind of action is going on in the neighborhood.
Along with that - you might want to buy a good police scanner - that is APCO 25 - CTCSS Trunked such as the Uniden Bearcat BCD996T Digital Scanner BCD-996 and a good outdoors scanner antenna. Get one that is programmed for the local frequencies - they sell them that way - if you ask the distributor - they will program it for you.
That way you can listen to what is going on in the neighborhood and prepare yourself if something is going down in the hood.

I don't remember - but I think that is Allegheny County right?
Anywho - here is a link to a online scanner that you can listen to which will provide you with some entertainment Allegheny County, Pennsylvania (PA) Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com
If you hear a lot of traffic in one neighborhood - then you know that it is a bad neighborhood and to stay out of there as much as possible.
You will get to know your way around - with the scanner after a while and maybe even get to recognize some of the patrolmen's voices on the radio and their attitudes.

Allegheny County, Pennsylvania (PA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
PA:Allegheny County - WPASCANNER (http://www.wpascanner.com/wiki/index.php?title=PA:Allegheny_County - broken link)

Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the tip! I can't rent it, it is owner financed. Quick pay off. Which will give us a stable home. yes, that is Allegheny County. It has an ADT system in it. I don't know how good those are. I am a responsible gun owner also. I am looking so bad for stability for my family. Rent prices are just crazy anymore! And I have a German Shepherd, which landlords frown upon that! Although he is a good boy!

Old 02-17-2011, 02:45 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,771,784 times
This is my post from another thread about McKeesport

I'm sorry but I can only answer one question...
1.) Did you have street gangs called "bloods," and "cripz," in your country??? Well if you didn't and you don't wanna ever know how it feels to live in a neiborghood with two rival gangs then don't live in McKeesport! There is high crime in most of McKeesport, although the area by State College isn't as bad as the projects. Just don't be suprised when you hear gun shots in McKeesport (pretty common)!!! Also, McKeesport is a lower class/working class neighborghood with some dirty streets and old houses in blight. Plus there's lots of: voilent gangstas, ck and bk is graffitied thoughout the area, drug fiends, alcoholics, and prostitute/hos. McKeesport (for the most part) is a high crime gang neiborghood that you don't wanna live in.

If you think drugs are bad in your current neiborghood... McKeesport has bloods and cripz... In your currnet residence there is probably weed & cociane problems... In Mckeesport theres Heroin, Coke, crack, weed, and many more illgel street drugs. If this matters, I'd rank it in the top ten worst places in Pittsburgh... Also, I'd estimate that there are maybe 75 gang members in McKeesport right now!!! Perhaps stay there until the spring... Spring and summer will have many shootings, just like last year...

Old 02-17-2011, 02:57 PM

782 posts, read 510,898 times
Don't forget to add in property taxes and insurance into your yearly housing costs when comparing it to renting. You are still in Allegheny County and will pay more in taxes than a bigger, nicer place just across the border in Westmoreland Co.

But, if you insist on being in McKeesport, I'd try to get into someplace in White Oak which is right on the border with NHT in Westmoreland Co. It is a much better part of McKeesport with many young families and a decent amount of business within walking distance along Rte. 48 and Lincoln Way.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:59 PM

2,306 posts, read 4,756,016 times
How old are your kids?

I myself lived a block away from Versailles Ave....sort of close to the Grandview end. My great aunt still lives there. As far as the people that live around there, they are mainly older....of the houses that are still occupied! It is pretty close to Crawford Village...the housing project. But you don't have a lot of "spill over" in that Crawford was on the other side of Versailles Ave. & down the hill. You didn't mention which side of Versailles you would be on.

My first concern after reading your post was that you are looking for a cheap house. McKeesport has tons of abandoned and decrepit old homes. Many that have had the copper pipes stolen from and vandalized. Pictures from realtors don't cut it...McKeesport has tons of stories of people who brought homes and they were practically unlivable. This is a shame, because some of those homes in McKeesport were gorgeous mini-mansions at one time. But so many of them need incredible amounts of work. I don't know who in McKeesport is in charge of demolishing old abandoned homes, but they sure aren't doing their job!

A lot of people complain about raising kids in McKeesport and the school and what not. I graduated from McKeesport HS in 1997...and it was a great school back then. Even so, I would really look into sending your kids to the Propel schools. As far as the community...McKeesport has a lot of riff-raff...and it isn't a beautiful town anymore. But I have an apartment right over in White Oak and I'm in McKeesport every day and I don't hear gunshots or see any gang members. But I am not hanging out on the street or in "that crowd" anyway. I most definitely don't feel unsafe with out and about in McKeeport. But boy...I do feel depressed looking at all of the ugliness!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 PM

2,306 posts, read 4,756,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Don't forget to add in property taxes and insurance into your yearly housing costs when comparing it to renting. You are still in Allegheny County and will pay more in taxes than a bigger, nicer place just across the border in Westmoreland Co.

But, if you insist on being in McKeesport, I'd try to get into someplace in White Oak which is right on the border with NHT in Westmoreland Co. It is a much better part of McKeesport with many young families and a decent amount of business within walking distance along Rte. 48 and Lincoln Way.
White Oak is pretty limited when it comes to finding rentals....there is White Oak Village Apartments, and Lincoln Way Apartments. I doubt that these are senior-only rentals but every person that I know who lives there is old. There is another apartment building on the corner of O'Neil and Fawcett. But they changed management 2 years ago and the new owners are trying to sell the place. The apartment building that I rent a place in is not open to taking any more tenants.

There may be more rentals on the outer sections of White Oak and single-homes. But McKeesport has many more apartments available than White Oak does.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
How old are your kids?

I myself lived a block away from Versailles Ave....sort of close to the Grandview end. My great aunt still lives there. As far as the people that live around there, they are mainly older....of the houses that are still occupied! It is pretty close to Crawford Village...the housing project. But you don't have a lot of "spill over" in that Crawford was on the other side of Versailles Ave. & down the hill. You didn't mention which side of Versailles you would be on.

My first concern after reading your post was that you are looking for a cheap house. McKeesport has tons of abandoned and decrepit old homes. Many that have had the copper pipes stolen from and vandalized. Pictures from realtors don't cut it...McKeesport has tons of stories of people who brought homes and they were practically unlivable. This is a shame, because some of those homes in McKeesport were gorgeous mini-mansions at one time. But so many of them need incredible amounts of work. I don't know who in McKeesport is in charge of demolishing old abandoned homes, but they sure aren't doing their job!

A lot of people complain about raising kids in McKeesport and the school and what not. I graduated from McKeesport HS in 1997...and it was a great school back then. Even so, I would really look into sending your kids to the Propel schools. As far as the community...McKeesport has a lot of riff-raff...and it isn't a beautiful town anymore. But I have an apartment right over in White Oak and I'm in McKeesport every day and I don't hear gunshots or see any gang members. But I am not hanging out on the street or in "that crowd" anyway. I most definitely don't feel unsafe with out and about in McKeeport. But boy...I do feel depressed looking at all of the ugliness!
My kids are in senior high. and one in junior high. I was going to use the home schooling anyway. But was hoping it was safe enough for them to at least hang out in the backyard, or front porch. the house is in great shape. No problems with it, maybe just some slight tlc. it is close to Steward st.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
This is my post from another thread about McKeesport

I'm sorry but I can only answer one question...
1.) Did you have street gangs called "bloods," and "cripz," in your country??? Well if you didn't and you don't wanna ever know how it feels to live in a neiborghood with two rival gangs then don't live in McKeesport! There is high crime in most of McKeesport, although the area by State College isn't as bad as the projects. Just don't be suprised when you hear gun shots in McKeesport (pretty common)!!! Also, McKeesport is a lower class/working class neighborghood with some dirty streets and old houses in blight. Plus there's lots of: voilent gangstas, ck and bk is graffitied thoughout the area, drug fiends, alcoholics, and prostitute/hos. McKeesport (for the most part) is a high crime gang neiborghood that you don't wanna live in.

If you think drugs are bad in your current neiborghood... McKeesport has bloods and cripz... In your currnet residence there is probably weed & cociane problems... In Mckeesport theres Heroin, Coke, crack, weed, and many more illgel street drugs. If this matters, I'd rank it in the top ten worst places in Pittsburgh... Also, I'd estimate that there are maybe 75 gang members in McKeesport right now!!! Perhaps stay there until the spring... Spring and summer will have many shootings, just like last year...
I didn't realize that there were that many problems there. Especially last year. They must keep it out of the papers and news pretty well. Damn, I knew the house was cheap for a reason!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,771,784 times
I mean not all that gangsta BS happens in one year... Gang activity has been around since 1993-1994
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh