U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-17-2011, 10:24 PM

9,560 posts, read 8,069,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Penn Hills is slowly going the way of WH, just watch the news reports.
You have it backwards. Penn Hills is already gone, and Woodland Hills is next.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:34 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,922,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Woodland Hills' parents have three choices: send their children to a war zone, pay for private education, or enroll their children in cyber school (which is very isolating) if they can't afford private education.
There are also now two Propel charter schools in Woodland Hills (which are free, well-regarded, and involve normal amounts of face-to-face interaction).

Old 02-18-2011, 06:03 AM

4,337 posts, read 2,917,612 times
Just like my high school, it's a mix of kids who actually want an education and thugs/trash who contribute nothing to society and never will.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 AM

52 posts, read 50,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'm writing a creative nonfiction piece about the Woodland Hills School District (focused on the high school).

I think it would be valuable to include a page or two of quotes, highlighting people's views about the district.

So that people are as candid as possible, I'd like anyone who has an opinion about the district--strong or otherwise--to summarize their feelings in a sentence or two. To encourage you to show your true feelings, these quotes will be anonymous. No attribution. No tracing back. Nothing. Don't hold anything back. Be as brutally honest as possible. Even if your opinions are "politically incorrect," your voice is valuable and deserves to be heard.

If your words are "too strong" to post here, feel free to PM them to me instead.

Thanks!
I know you and I have written back and forth about this project before, and you're to be commended for trying to source your piece in as many different ways as possible - I hope you hear back from some people with different perspectives and get a bit at the honest responses that are hopefully just beneath the kneejerk sarcasm. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 AM

4,262 posts, read 3,892,674 times
They keep the front lawn nicely maintained. Any other posistives? Not really. The cops are usually there to break up fights.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 AM

210 posts, read 262,752 times
Generally I would tone it down, but she asked for brutally honest and that's what I gave. Yes, I was sarcastic, but I was also 100% honest.

If it makes people feel better, I lived in Penn Hills and I'd say we were no better. It's why I don't live there anymore. Does that help?

Last edited by feanix; 02-18-2011 at 09:01 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 01:05 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,600,486 times
Heres my list of bad and fight schools in the Pittsburgh area
Westinghouse (PPS)
Peabody (PPS)
Oliver (PPS)
Wilkinsburg
Carrick (PPS)
Scenley (PPS)
McKeesport
Penn Hills
Woodland Hills
Steel Valley
Langly (PPS)
Clairton
Sto-Rocks
East Allegheny- is going down hill with Duqense & North Versaillies kids

Old 02-18-2011, 01:24 PM

6,083 posts, read 3,971,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feanix View Post
Generally I would tone it down, but she asked for brutally honest and that's what I gave. Yes, I was sarcastic, but I was also 100% honest.

If it makes people feel better, I lived in Penn Hills and I'd say we were no better. It's why I don't live there anymore. Does that help?
1) I'm a he.

2) Thank you for your response. It was the perfect anecdote: colorful, detailed, and blunt.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 PM

210 posts, read 262,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
1) I'm a he.

2) Thank you for your response. It was the perfect anecdote: colorful, detailed, and blunt.
Whoops! I'm sorry! I saw Heaven and assumed female.

You're welcome and I apologize to those it did bother. I do wish you the best with this project!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 PM

27 posts, read 21,473 times
What has happened to Woodland Hills? I read recently that the high school is rated among the lowest in Western Pennsylvania on academic achievement, and that it is in corrective action. I am a graduate of Churchill Area High School, one of the last years before the WH integration (1980). I have lived in the Maryland suburbs of DC for many years. In my county, we have strong schools in communities with much greater racial diversity than the boroughs that comprise Woodland Hills. When I was attending Churchill, I always perceived the school to be relatively strong academically. I still lived in Churchill for several years after the integration when my brother was attending the 'new' WHHS, and I seem to recall that the school was still pretty good shortly after the integration. So, what has happened? Why is the school district so challenged now?

Thanks to anyone who can help me catch up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh