U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:22 PM

5,791 posts, read 3,572,363 times
Default Woodland Hills -- Be Brutally Honest

I'm writing a creative nonfiction piece about the Woodland Hills School District (focused on the high school).

I think it would be valuable to include a page or two of quotes, highlighting people's views about the district.

So that people are as candid as possible, I'd like anyone who has an opinion about the district--strong or otherwise--to summarize their feelings in a sentence or two. To encourage you to show your true feelings, these quotes will be anonymous. No attribution. No tracing back. Nothing. Don't hold anything back. Be as brutally honest as possible. Even if your opinions are "politically incorrect," your voice is valuable and deserves to be heard.

If your words are "too strong" to post here, feel free to PM them to me instead.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 05:04 PM

939 posts, read 1,528,604 times
My quote:

<quote>Only a Woodland Hills graduate would try to write a book soliciting quotes from an internet message board...

I hope you are kidding? Get in your car, drive to Braddock and ask someone, then drive to Churchill and ask someone else!!!</quote>

Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
My quote:

<quote>Only a Woodland Hills graduate would try to write a book soliciting quotes from an internet message board...

I hope you are kidding? Get in your car, drive to Braddock and ask someone, then drive to Churchill and ask someone else!!!</quote>
Thanks for your sarcastic and unhelpful response. I've conducted lots of interviews so far, but I know a lot of locals frequent this board. Posting here is an easy way of networking.

FWIW, I'm from the Eastern part of the state, am a Pitt senior, and will be heading to UPenn law next year. Hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:51 PM

939 posts, read 1,528,604 times
How will you determine real posters from trolls for this "nonfiction" piece. How will you distinguish between a concerned parent, and a disgruntled student who got detention for being late to class. Assuming you get some real quotes how do you apply context to said quotes. In other words, how do you distinguish between the single mother from $18k a year Braddock vs the house wife from $70k Churchill...

Aren't serious writers supposed verify sources

But whatever... here is my quote:

Woodland Hills in nothing special, just another school in a long list of schools I wouldn't send my Children to. But obviously thousands of other parents feel differently.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:54 PM

I'm writing 40 pages, zip. This will be a *tiny* section--a page or two at most. I'm just curious to see what people have to say when they fully let their guard down. You don't need me to tell you that Woodland Hills has a poor reputation.

Edit: Thanks for the quote, even if it was given begrudgingly.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 PM

9,312 posts, read 7,543,220 times
The Woodland Hills School District should thank the Penn Hills and McKeesport Area School Districts every day for making them look good.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:57 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,020,485 times
They have an extremely boring but colorful magazine...

Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,410,743 times
Penn Hills is slowly going the way of WH, just watch the news reports.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 PM

209 posts, read 252,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The Woodland Hills School District should thank the Penn Hills and McKeesport Area School Districts every day for making them look good.
LOL! I would have to agree with that statement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Penn Hills is slowly going the way of WH, just watch the news reports.
Slowly? No way! It's a fast moving train!

I would say:

Woodland High School: The place where your kids can get a sub par education while commiserating with hoodlums. They can look forward to their prom where they can mingle with the current and up and coming pimps, prostitutes, and drug dealers. Formal or tasteful attire at the prom is purely optional, and strongly discouraged.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 PM

40,244 posts, read 43,061,503 times
Woodland Hills' parents have three choices: send their children to a war zone, pay for private education, or enroll their children in cyber school (which is very isolating) if they can't afford private education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh