Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 PM

55 posts, read 101,378 times

Advertisements

I was assaulted and robbed on Robinson Street back in 2006 when I was a pizza delivery driver. I ended up having to get stitches to reattach part of my nose to my face. Needless to say, I'm not a *huge fan of the street.

So, I may be a bit biased (and certainly being a driver makes you more of a target than if you were simply living there) That said, I had friends who lived nearby (on Dunseith) around that time, who thought the neighborhood was a fair shade rougher than the other parts of Oakland. Since then, Pitt's been doing some development nearby and there seem to be more students walking around up there than in the past. I'm not sure to what extent that has changed the safety situation up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 PM

250 posts, read 359,600 times
Hey, another former college delivery driver here. I've had my share of close calls and have seen the evolution/devolution of many parts of town. (Got shot at once in Knoxville but luckily the punk was a terrible shot and missed my car completely!)

Anyway I'd say it's on the upswing and is a good investment IF you're willing to be frank with potential tenants about the area, and give them the proper warnings that they ARE a block away from the projects, and to take necessary precautions. Is it the safest of areas? No, but things happen in Oakland all the time anyway, not just near the Hill. College students are naive. It's nicer than it was 5 years ago and I don't see any reason for that pattern to stop now.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,769 times
Part of South Oakland and most of West Oakland are the seedy parts of Oakland... South Oakland seems going to be going downhill from 2005(irionicly when police suspected gang activity). While West Oakland seems to be headed uphill from 2005.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 AM

374 posts, read 795,948 times
I guess I am just trying to get a feel from students who used to or live there now... on walking this area after the sun goes down. I lived in South Oakland (years ago) and it could be sketchy depending on the day of the week and how many students were out and about.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:47 AM

Students don't run South Oakland past the boulevard the SOC or South Oakland Cripz do... I bet more Pitt Students could tell you stories about South Oakland than Penn State Students in McKeesport... Only because the SOC gets there hustle off of Pitt Students living in the wrong part of Oakland!!!

Old 02-22-2011, 12:44 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Students don't run South Oakland past the boulevard the SOC or South Oakland Cripz do... I bet more Pitt Students could tell you stories about South Oakland than Penn State Students in McKeesport... Only because the SOC gets their hustle off of Pitt Students living in the wrong part of Oakland!!!
What does this mean, exactly, for a student who lives on the SOC side of the Boulevard (which I did once, a long, long time ago)?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM

I never lived in South Oakland but I've heard a plenty of stories including this post from ferrarisnowday(after mine):

The whole college party scene aside, I'd never want to live in south Oakland again. Every time Pitt has a break, those homes are targets for thiefs because they assume students go home during the breaks. When I lived there I had my house robbed once, a roommate's car was stolen, and I know 2 people who were robbed at gun point (one in a parking lot, one in their apartment).

That's not to say it's at all scary to walk around south Oakland, but Uptown Kid is right, there does seem to be a lot of people that warn about Lawrenceville, but give south Oakland a pass for some reason.

EDIT: Also, there's a much bigger issue with homeless people/beggars in Oakland than in Lawrenceville in my opinion. Hardly dangerous, but still something to consider.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
I never lived in South Oakland but I've heard a plenty of stories including this post from ferrarisnowday(after mine):

The whole college party scene aside, I'd never want to live in south Oakland again. Every time Pitt has a break, those homes are targets for thiefs because they assume students go home during the breaks. When I lived there I had my house robbed once, a roommate's car was stolen, and I know 2 people who were robbed at gun point (one in a parking lot, one in their apartment).

That's not to say it's at all scary to walk around south Oakland, but Uptown Kid is right, there does seem to be a lot of people that warn about Lawrenceville, but give south Oakland a pass for some reason.

EDIT: Also, there's a much bigger issue with homeless people/beggars in Oakland than in Lawrenceville in my opinion. Hardly dangerous, but still something to consider.
Just to be clear on what I meant by "South Oakland", most people (or at least students) consider anything south of Forbes to be South Oakland. A lot of that area is actually considered "Central Oakland" on official maps. Everything I listed except for the stolen car happened between Forbes and Bates over the course of 2 years.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 AM

374 posts, read 795,948 times
Hey... I appreciate all your comments. I really don't like the fact that my girls have to walk around anywhere in Oakland, but that is where they are at school, so I have to make the house I buy as safe as possible (while they are there) and pray when they are out and about on the streets.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:05 PM

296 posts, read 560,671 times
At the end of the day, Oakland is very safe from 6 AM until sundown. After that, like any city neighborhood - from Homewood to Shadyside - you have to pay attention to your surroundings when out and about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh