Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:30 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I've been blessed with an exceptionally rare Saturday off from work, and while browsing the Post-Gazette's events list for things to do I noticed that there will be a performance of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night at 7 PM tonight at Quaker Valley High School in Sewickley. Admission is free (so the price is right---although I will give a donation). In addition I would like to take my better half out to a restaurant, preferably in Downtown Sewickley, for dinner beforehand to celebrate our one-month anniversary. A Google and UrbanSpoon search has turned up the following eateries that have piqued my curiosity:

Monte Cello's
Naked Grape
Sewickley Cafe
Sharp Edge Bistro
Sweetwater Grille

I've only been to Sewickley once just to explore the town, so I'm admittedly not familiar with anything in that area. Can someone please recommend me a nice place to grab an informal (i.e. not having to dress up) bite to eat for dinner? There's just so many good options. I know Sewickley has an Eat 'n Park, too, but c'mon! LOL!

In addition, if anyone could recommend me anything else interesting to see/do today/tonight in the Sewickley area I'd greatly appreciate it! I wanted to treat us to breakfast this morning at Pamela's, but my alcohol-loving better half is still sick from a severe hangover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 AM

Can anyone tell me how late the Sewickley Confectionery is open on Saturday evenings, if at all? I can always give them a call once my hungover beauty wakes up. Ice cream after the play might be nice.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:09 AM

809 posts, read 2,409,528 times
I would say the Sewickley Hotel probably gets you the most "authentic" Sewickley experience. It's quite good.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:50 AM

570 posts, read 1,411,481 times
I back up the Sewickley Hotel idea, second would be 'The Naked Grape' but get's quite noisy and is small..
Several ice cream locations for you as well.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
I would say the Sewickley Hotel probably gets you the most "authentic" Sewickley experience. It's quite good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I back up the Sewickley Hotel idea, second would be 'The Naked Grape' but get's quite noisy and is small..
Several ice cream locations for you as well.
Thank you both. I will scope out the Sewickley Hotel for later. At this point, though, I'm questioning even continuing our relationship since I'm tiring of alcohol being such a dominant force (but that's off-topic).

Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Thank you both. I will scope out the Sewickley Hotel for later. At this point, though, I'm questioning even continuing our relationship since I'm tiring of alcohol being such a dominant force (but that's off-topic).
Sewickley Hotel was recommended for DINING.

It has a restaurant.

http://www.sewickleyhotel.com/menus.htm

Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM

354 posts, read 475,598 times
Make your way to Sharp Edge for drinks though; that should work out.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:48 AM

Thanks again for the recommendations. In the end the day didn't turn out as I had expected, but it was still a success in my eyes. We ended up going to Chick-Fil-A at The Waterfront for lunch followed by seeing "The Roommate" (terrible movie) at the AMC Theater. From there I drove us up to Quaker Valley High School, and we both thoroughly enjoyed the play. Afterwards we got groceries---Sewickley seemed DEAD on Saturday nights.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Is that surprising? Sewickley's not a happenin' night spot exactly. It's a go to dinner at a restaurant sort of place, not a hang around in a neighborhood bar sort of place so much. With the shops closed, there won't be too many people, but there are some, and those restaurants are open. If you want to see a hopping Sewickley it would be on a Saturday late morning or so, and more so during nicer weather.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Is that surprising? Sewickley's not a happenin' night spot exactly. It's a go to dinner at a restaurant sort of place, not a hang around in a neighborhood bar sort of place so much. With the shops closed, there won't be too many people, but there are some, and those restaurants are open. If you want to see a hopping Sewickley it would be on a Saturday late morning or so, and more so during nicer weather.
I really want to come back to Sewickley at some point when most Downtown businesses are open. That candy store was making me drool, and I threw a tantrum as I drove by and realized it wasn't open! I worked nearly 80 hours last week, so while I'm not raking in the dough I will have a few extra dollars that I'd love to spend patronizing some local businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh