U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:42 AM

599 posts, read 568,332 times

Advertisements

What is the job market in Uniontown and nursery and schools like?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed.
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:08 AM

989 posts, read 2,046,863 times
You can pretty much lable the entire area as impoverished, it's a pretty backwards and depressing stretch that keeps getting worse with every decade with full-on population decline and climbing median ages. There really isn't anything in the way of industry, everything within the area has pretty much dried up and moved on. Just about all of the schools fall into the "economically disadvantaged" category except for Laurel Highlands or Frazier to the North...dunno about Belle Vernon. Uniontown Area has issues both socially and economically within the district itself, I wouldn't purposely send my kids there unless it was an only option, other surrounding districts are just better...maybe some of the quieter schools up in the mountains are alright, but definately not the high school or Lafayette, both of which have to deal with a very odd mix of urban vs rural behavioral conflict and social tensions. If you plan on trying to find a home in a more suburban/rural area in South Union Township for example while sending your kids to Laurel Highlands, then it's an alright situation I suppose...otherwise, I wouldn't personally be making a move to an area with a 99% dead economy with potentially rough schooling situations. Fayette County and Greene County were both in a decades-long recession and struggling along well before the actual national recession itself hit. I dunno which is worse, but I'm pretty sure these two have to be the two poorest/least economically viable counties in SWPA. I know that Fayette gained notoriety for having the largest ratio of crime reports to population size in the state of PA a while back, somehow even beating Philly...which is just weird.

On the plus side, the scenery is absolutely beautiful and cost of living is as low as it gets. The housing market is very cheap and you can find a lot of nice little side stretches to do the "small town/rural" type of lifestyle very well for little money. The key to making this work is knowing where to live. Some of the nicer stretches that are close to Uniontown but without the obvious issues would be Carmichaels and Fairchance. I believe these two areas latch on to Carmichaels and Albert Gallatin, both of which are better districts than Uniontown Area. Another idea is to head accross the border into Morgantown WV where the economy and city itself is exploding with opportunity...this is half the reason why Uniontown doesn't have much in the way of progress/development. It seems like West Moreland and Monongalia counties ate up anything/everything that was in Fayette and act as a filter to keep out anything from being stationed there. Good schools within Morgantown too.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 02-19-2011 at 10:26 AM..

Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 PM

13,489 posts, read 19,332,953 times
Fayette County is like the mid-Monongahela River valley: a demographic and socioeconomic albatross around Pittsburgh's neck. It's only part of the Pittsburgh MSA because people have to commute to jobs in Westmoreland County. Otherwise, it's just too far away from Pittsburgh to take advantage of being part of its MSA.

The Mon-Fayette Expressway project illustrates just how isolated and downtrodden both Fayette County and the mid-Monongahela River valley are. The intent of the project has simply been to build a highway between Pittsburgh and the two most economically disadvantaged regions of the MSA in an effort to improve access and spur new development. I don't want to turn this into a debate on the project's merits, but it's likely that neither region would truly benefit from the project if it's not built all the way into Pittsburgh.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:13 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,257,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Fayette County is like the mid-Monongahela River valley: a demographic and socioeconomic albatross around Pittsburgh's neck. It's only part of the Pittsburgh MSA because people have to commute to jobs in Westmoreland County. Otherwise, it's just too far away from Pittsburgh to take advantage of being part of its MSA.

The Mon-Fayette Expressway project illustrates just how isolated and downtrodden both Fayette County and the mid-Monongahela River valley are. The intent of the project has simply been to build a highway between Pittsburgh and the two most economically disadvantaged regions of the MSA in an effort to improve access and spur new development. I don't want to turn this into a debate on the project's merits, but it's likely that neither region would truly benefit from the project if it's not built all the way into Pittsburgh.
At least the upper Mon Valley has improved somewhat in the last decade. The rebirth of Cal U. has helped, as has the improved business investment. A lot of little industrial parks have sprung up around I70 between Washington and Westmoreland counties. I know it doesn't seem nearly as depressed as it did in the late 80s and early 90s when I lived down there. If they ever do finish the highway the parts around Uniontown might see some rebirth as well. At least I hope so. It's a beautiful area, it is a shame to see it so run down.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:33 PM

61 posts, read 145,076 times
Hey, why are you thinking of Uniontown and Fayette County? My family lives in Westmoreland County, right on the cusp of Fayette. It is definitely an extremely rural area and there is a lot of economic depression. Fayette is beautiful though. I actually fantasize about buying land there and building a house when I retire.

What are you looking for exactly and where are you moving from? There may be some other Western PA options for you.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:45 PM

783 posts, read 1,825,907 times
I think everyone pretty much summed it up well. The job market is bad but the scenery is beautiful. Really, the fall in Fayette county is absolutely amazing. A lot of people that have decent jobs there commute a long distance for work. I know people that live in Uniontown and commute to Morgantown. I know several that commute to canonsburg/south hills/Rt.79 area, and some that commute to the west mifflin area.

The schools are bad. There are several private Christian schools in Fayette County though, especially Geible, that I assume are decent but I don't know much about. The best public schools are most likely Frazier, in Perryopolis, and Laurel Highlands in Uniontown. Frazier is a very small school and seems decent. Laurel Highlands is probably similar to Gateway or West Allegheny SD. Not amazing, but decent. Many of the other schools in the area are horrific, especially Brownsville. If your child is smart and works hard, then they should be able to do ok there without any problem. From what I hear, the school can be very cliquish though, but many schools are like that. Another great thing about Fayette County is that you can't find many areas with lower property taxes.

What sucks about it...the location. Since the Mon-Fayette expressway hasn't been completed, and probably never will, it's still cutoff from Pittsburgh and it takes a very long time to get there on RT. 51.

The people are depressed, not just the community. Lots of drugs, like heroine and meth, lots of theft, prostitution, tons of drunks and flat out idiots. Certainly you can find a home in a nice neighborhood in Uniontown and not see these people, but you'll read about them in the paper and a lot of them exist in the area. Welfare is a way of life in fayette county.

Govenment corruption is extreme. If you are deciding to open a small business in fayette county, be prepared to bribe local democrats, otherwise your permits might not get done, your license application might be lost, etc. Fayette County is a very isolted and closed minded area. To do business there or get a decent job there, you have to know someone. It pays to have connections, but these connections can often come back to haunt you when someone expects a favor to be paid back.

There is very little community pride and very little parent involvement in anything. People expect corrupt elected officials, teachers, the school board, someone else, etc. to solve every single problem in the area, then just shrugged their shoulders when nothing changes. When you visit Uniontown and see how bad things are, understand that it wasn't always like that. Years ago it was far, far worse. Uniontown, especially downtown, has gotten a decent face lift recently. It's basically abandoned, so Main St. does look nice but there are no businesses there.

There are several nursery schools there in Uniontown. Most people are very poor and send their kids to gov't programs, like head start. However, for the few with a job and a paycheck, there are a couple daycare centers that are decent. Don't expect anything amazing though.

Another good thing about Uniontown...they have an amazing super walmart. Best I've ever seen. Makes the super walmart in Robinson look like trash. Not much else there though. The mall is complete garbage and should be torn down, like 80% of the rest of the town. Ohiopyle, Laurel Caverns, and 7 Springs are very close and great places. Lots of outdoor activities around Uniontown. Tons of places for kids to run around and play, lots of places to hunt, fish, go hiking, etc.

As others have mentioned, don't move there unless there is a really good reason for doing it. If by some miracle you're offered a job there, live in Westmoreland County. Mt. Pleasant would be a short commute to Uniontown and is a nice little community. Uniontown can be very deceiving to outsiders. You see all the green, the hills, the mountains, nice, clean Main St., kids playing and riding their bikes everywhere and someone driving by would assume it's paradise. Things couldn't be farther from the truth.

Best things about Uniontown
1) beautiful scenery
2) cheap taxes
3) awesome super walmart
4) lots of outdoor stuff to do

Worst things about it
1) everything else sucks

Old 02-19-2011, 05:35 PM

989 posts, read 2,046,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I think everyone pretty much summed it up well. The job market is bad but the scenery is beautiful. Really, the fall in Fayette county is absolutely amazing. A lot of people that have decent jobs there commute a long distance for work. I know people that live in Uniontown and commute to Morgantown. I know several that commute to canonsburg/south hills/Rt.79 area, and some that commute to the west mifflin area.

The schools are bad. There are several private Christian schools in Fayette County though, especially Geible, that I assume are decent but I don't know much about. The best public schools are most likely Frazier, in Perryopolis, and Laurel Highlands in Uniontown. Frazier is a very small school and seems decent. Laurel Highlands is probably similar to Gateway or West Allegheny SD. Not amazing, but decent. Many of the other schools in the area are horrific, especially Brownsville. If your child is smart and works hard, then they should be able to do ok there without any problem. From what I hear, the school can be very cliquish though, but many schools are like that. Another great thing about Fayette County is that you can't find many areas with lower property taxes.

What sucks about it...the location. Since the Mon-Fayette expressway hasn't been completed, and probably never will, it's still cutoff from Pittsburgh and it takes a very long time to get there on RT. 51.

The people are depressed, not just the community. Lots of drugs, like heroine and meth, lots of theft, prostitution, tons of drunks and flat out idiots. Certainly you can find a home in a nice neighborhood in Uniontown and not see these people, but you'll read about them in the paper and a lot of them exist in the area. Welfare is a way of life in fayette county.

Govenment corruption is extreme. If you are deciding to open a small business in fayette county, be prepared to bribe local democrats, otherwise your permits might not get done, your license application might be lost, etc. Fayette County is a very isolted and closed minded area. To do business there or get a decent job there, you have to know someone. It pays to have connections, but these connections can often come back to haunt you when someone expects a favor to be paid back.

There is very little community pride and very little parent involvement in anything. People expect corrupt elected officials, teachers, the school board, someone else, etc. to solve every single problem in the area, then just shrugged their shoulders when nothing changes. When you visit Uniontown and see how bad things are, understand that it wasn't always like that. Years ago it was far, far worse. Uniontown, especially downtown, has gotten a decent face lift recently. It's basically abandoned, so Main St. does look nice but there are no businesses there.

There are several nursery schools there in Uniontown. Most people are very poor and send their kids to gov't programs, like head start. However, for the few with a job and a paycheck, there are a couple daycare centers that are decent. Don't expect anything amazing though.

Another good thing about Uniontown...they have an amazing super walmart. Best I've ever seen. Makes the super walmart in Robinson look like trash. Not much else there though. The mall is complete garbage and should be torn down, like 80% of the rest of the town. Ohiopyle, Laurel Caverns, and 7 Springs are very close and great places. Lots of outdoor activities around Uniontown. Tons of places for kids to run around and play, lots of places to hunt, fish, go hiking, etc.

As others have mentioned, don't move there unless there is a really good reason for doing it. If by some miracle you're offered a job there, live in Westmoreland County. Mt. Pleasant would be a short commute to Uniontown and is a nice little community. Uniontown can be very deceiving to outsiders. You see all the green, the hills, the mountains, nice, clean Main St., kids playing and riding their bikes everywhere and someone driving by would assume it's paradise. Things couldn't be farther from the truth.

Best things about Uniontown
1) beautiful scenery
2) cheap taxes
3) awesome super walmart
4) lots of outdoor stuff to do

Worst things about it
1) everything else sucks
This is the be-all/end-all of Fayette County descriptions...100% perfect with the best advice that anybody could have given to the OP. You even hit on Wal-Mart culture, which is the solution for everything to people in Uniontown and probably the biggest economic generator for the area.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 02-19-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 AM

12,077 posts, read 15,206,153 times
Love2golf definitely nailed it.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,540,572 times
The State Police , who patrol much of Fayette County, have long referred to it as "Fayettenam". Off the record, of course.

Last edited by hornet67; 02-21-2011 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: spellinf

Old 02-21-2011, 01:55 PM
gg

21,598 posts, read 20,531,045 times
I don't know, I think it would be fine if you can just live and stay at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. Seems if you do that, the area is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh