Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:49 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

I never hear anyone talk about the little place called Morningside. I know it okay and have ridden about every street. Seems closer to the river is better, but the homes are cooler closer to Stanton. I don't feel it is too unsafe, but there was a little store that closed because it was robbed too many times. Not good. The store was tiny and closer to Stanton. I don't know the name of it. Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on this area? Going to be better in 10 years or worse? I don't feel it will get worse, but don't know. Rent is pretty high there, but there are areas close by that are not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
We talk about it every once in a while. Morningside is a stable, working-to-middle-class neighborhood. Housing prices have gone up a little--not as much in some other East End neighborhoods, but enough to keep it steady. It doesn't have a great commercial district of its own or the most exciting housing stock, but it is one of those affordable, solid neighborhoods that make Pittsburgh a good value proposition.

Edit: Oh, I expect it to continue to see some appreciation and increased interest as East Liberty and the Friendship/Garfield area redevelop. Because it didn't drop as low as some places it may not have as much appreciation, but I expect it to do at least OK.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:14 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Why do you say the rent is pretty high? What are you comparing their rents to? What are the nearby areas that aren't so good?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Morningside is a great place. It's an old Italian neighborhood.

Generations of families live there---children growing up with their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins in the same neighborhood.

St. Raphael plays an important role in what keeps the community together.

It has always been surrounded by areas that are worse. Morningside is still the same as it was 30 years ago when I first went there, and I'll bet it was the same long before that.

It won't go downhill. It doesn't need a commercial district. It's sort of a city "bedroom community" that's conveniently located near great shopping areas.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Why do you say the rent is pretty high? What are you comparing their rents to? What are the nearby areas that aren't so good?
I was looking at home prices in comparison to rent received and the numbers are better than a Shadyside or Squirrel Hill and even Highland Park.

Morninside is an interesting little place. It is little, but located pretty well and not that far from some really good shopping. Not walking, but not far.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
I get my hair cut there from Tim the barber. Great haircut and it is only $7. Tim is a character. If you want to know about the neighborhood he is the best source. Moringside has actually gotten much nicer recently. Young professionals priced out of the rest of the East End have bought there in the last five years. Houses are being flipped there constantly. Some are even bringing in over 200,000. The further from Stanton the better it is.

A friend from high school raved about rentals in Morningside because you would never get a call to fix the small stuff. He said the the tenant would do it on his own. That was some time ago so this may have changed as the neighborhood went upscale.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I made a delivery today to a nicely-landscaped home near the northern end of Morningside Avenue, and I couldn't help but fall in love with the character of the neighborhood. Out of curiosity I did a CraigsList search for rentals and found that there weren't many available, which kept prices relatively steep for 1-BR units (generally $750/month, on average, plus utilities in many cases). I was saddened, though, to see that there weren't many that accepted dogs.

While nothing is set in stone my better half and I are considering finding a place together in August 2012, and it never hurts to start looking early to pinpoint a good neighborhood. Ideally I'd love to have him move in with me here in Polish Hill, but he has a dog.

I really like this neighborhood.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I made a delivery today to a nicely-landscaped home near the northern end of Morningside Avenue, and I couldn't help but fall in love with the character of the neighborhood. Out of curiosity I did a CraigsList search for rentals and found that there weren't many available, which kept prices relatively steep for 1-BR units (generally $750/month, on average, plus utilities in many cases). I was saddened, though, to see that there weren't many that accepted dogs.

While nothing is set in stone my better half and I are considering finding a place together in August 2012, and it never hurts to start looking early to pinpoint a good neighborhood. Ideally I'd love to have him move in with me here in Polish Hill, but he has a dog.

I really like this neighborhood.
That area does bring good rent. Always did. You are better off buying a home in Morningside than renting. There are some pretty cool little places or buy that one for $130's that has 4-5 units. I can't remember the street is it on, but you can find it. You can use the current tenants to pay for your mortgage and also those rents can be used for income in helping you qualify for the purchase.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:11 PM

24 posts, read 88,403 times
I think Morningside is still one of the best kept secrets in the city. Very tight knit. Still very Italian (more so than Bloomfield). St. Raphael has a good school and the best fish fry in the Burgh. Real estate is affordable but stable. No signs of deterioration, although it could use a few more businesses. Great neighborhood for kids. It's a little out of the way but not as bad as most suburbs. I don't really know why I don't live there.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serum86 View Post
I think Morningside is still one of the best kept secrets in the city. Very tight knit. Still very Italian (more so than Bloomfield). St. Raphael has a good school and the best fish fry in the Burgh. Real estate is affordable but stable. No signs of deterioration, although it could use a few more businesses. Great neighborhood for kids. It's a little out of the way but not as bad as most suburbs. I don't really know why I don't live there.
I agree; Morningside is a great little gem as long as you aren't too bothered by the lack of a business district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh