Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:31 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
CCAC doesn't count! :-)

sorry, couldn't resist...
No problem, just sad to see so many kids burdened with debt when they graduate. My wife went to nursing school in the 70's, her first graduate course at CMU cost more than the nursing degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 AM

11 posts, read 25,845 times
I think Franklin Regional is the worst mistake I ever made for my kids. Unless your kids were born and bred here, forget it. The kids will ignore them, and/or treat them differently. I am in the process of pulling my child as we speak, to utilize the home schooling process. I no longer want him exposed to these kids treating him like dirt, and causing him a complex.
I cannot afford a million dollar home, and a new Benz! I have had incidient with two people at the school who work there. And that has been fun. I tried contacting the principal, which was a joke! this is a trying time for kids, and it caused my son some really hard times. Heck, I even went to the mall when we moved here, and bought him all the yuppie clothing, an it still didn't matter!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
No problem, just sad to see so many kids burdened with debt when they graduate.
Isn't it ironic how the cost of college tuition has increased at a rate eight times that of inflation in the last 30 years, yet a college degree means less now than it ever has before? These days, a college degree can't even guarantee gainful employment, let alone job security.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 AM

187 posts, read 491,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder64 View Post
I think Franklin Regional is the worst mistake I ever made for my kids. Unless your kids were born and bred here, forget it. The kids will ignore them, and/or treat them differently. I am in the process of pulling my child as we speak, to utilize the home schooling process. I no longer want him exposed to these kids treating him like dirt, and causing him a complex.
I cannot afford a million dollar home, and a new Benz! I have had incidient with two people at the school who work there. And that has been fun. I tried contacting the principal, which was a joke! this is a trying time for kids, and it caused my son some really hard times. Heck, I even went to the mall when we moved here, and bought him all the yuppie clothing, an it still didn't matter!
Is your son in elementary school? I am confused about the million dollar home and Benz comments. We have visited MVille four times and spend time on realtor.com. There are many many affordable homes that outnumber the million$$ homes. Are you saying there's a massive "Keeping up with the Jones" type situation? So sad to hear that the principal and counselor did nothing for you. Mostly I am sorry for your son. Thanks for some scoop from your perspective.

Last edited by lovemy4kids; 03-24-2011 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-24-2011, 01:56 PM

173 posts, read 309,642 times
Quote:
This is gonna be harsher than I intend, but I see no way to dull the meaning: Are you sure you don't have a complex?

First things first, I don't care what school you go to, a utopia where everyone treats everyone with respect doesn't exist. The world is a mean place where children will pick out quirks and eccentricities and mock them until they get a reaction. It's certainly not right, but it is a reality.

Secondly, it seems you are the one overly concerned with status. You bring up the house and the car, and you made the conscious decision to teach your child that he needs to change his appearance to fit in before he even started at school and thus before he could have had any negative interaction.

It seems to me that we're only hearing one side of your story, and considering I was an implant into Franklin Regional who transfered in the 8th grade, I have a hard time believing your sentiments. Now I wasn't the most popular kid, but there were plenty of people welcoming to me when I arrived, and I happily found a niche at FR similar to the one I had at my old school. There were other kids, better looking or more athletic kids, who transferred in and fit right in with the popular crowd.

All in all, I have a hard time buying what you're selling.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtocool View Post
This is gonna be harsher than I intend, but I see no way to dull the meaning: Are you sure you don't have a complex?

First things first, I don't care what school you go to, a utopia where everyone treats everyone with respect doesn't exist. The world is a mean place where children will pick out quirks and eccentricities and mock them until they get a reaction. It's certainly not right, but it is a reality.

Secondly, it seems you are the one overly concerned with status. You bring up the house and the car, and you made the conscious decision to teach your child that he needs to change his appearance to fit in before he even started at school and thus before he could have had any negative interaction.

It seems to me that we're only hearing one side of your story, and considering I was an implant into Franklin Regional who transfered in the 8th grade, I have a hard time believing your sentiments. Now I wasn't the most popular kid, but there were plenty of people welcoming to me when I arrived, and I happily found a niche at FR similar to the one I had at my old school. There were other kids, better looking or more athletic kids, who transferred in and fit right in with the popular crowd.

I was thinking the same thing. One of the problems with our society is that well meaning parents mistakingly offer show off items like clothing and cell phones to their kids when it's so much more complicated than that. Our sons have had problems with bullies and it hurts us a lot. However, they are learning to focus their attention on friends who are real. It's all part of the growing up process. Sure, we all love beauty and nice stuff but if our kids believe that it's the only way to obtain love and friendship then their self esteem will suffer. Focus instead on obtaining good grades and real friends. Plus, help him find a talent.

I really appreciate you sharing your feelings with me. I sincerely hope that you can get to the root of the real problem with your son. I think nice people exist everywhere... in all socio-economics and levels of education.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 PM

173 posts, read 309,642 times
Nice people do exist, in all walks of life and social groups. It sounds as though you're teaching your kids how to find people who will truly support them, people they deserve in their life, it's something that will serve them well.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 AM

11 posts, read 25,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtocool View Post

One side of my story? Ummm, that didn't make sense. I am not selling anything, and it doesn't matter to me if you believe it or not. I was only trying to put the experience we have had here, along with others that have had the same problems.
I know a family that had moved here approx. 8 months ago. They are now leaving, due to having trouble with their child in the high school. Bullying is in every school, I agree. I am not selling anything, and only was telling what has happened to us, and a few others I know.
By all means, please move here!!! And put your child in the school, you may have a lot of luck. And your child may do well. Or end up having a hard time, and being ignored by large groups of rich kids, and being treated like crap. Its hard to tell! I was only giving my opinion. I was not trying to upset anyone. Either way, good luck to the original poster, and I wish you the best in your move! I hope things go well for you, and your family!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
One side of my story? Ummm, that didn't make sense. I am not selling anything, and it doesn't matter to me if you believe it or not. I was only trying to put the experience we have had here, along with others that have had the same problems.
I know a family that had moved here approx. 8 months ago. They are now leaving, due to having trouble with their child in the high school. Bullying is in every school, I agree. I am not selling anything, and only was telling what has happened to us, and a few others I know.
By all means, please move here!!! And put your child in the school, you may have a lot of luck. And your child may do well. Or end up having a hard time, and being ignored by large groups of rich kids, and being treated like crap. Its hard to tell! I was only giving my opinion. I was not trying to upset anyone. Either way, good luck to the original poster, and I wish you the best in your move! I hope things go well for you, and your family!
Thanks so much for sharing your feelings. It was exactly what I had asked...an inside scoop. Trust me, I know how mean kids can be (I am a teacher, educated counselor, sister of men, and a mother of boys). I am a bit concerned about your warning. We are taking this move very seriously because our oldest son is now in middle school. He is too quiet to admit problems with other kids, but we know this happens all the time. My husband and I have decided that we will put our kids in private school once high school begins should we feel it's the best for them. The other poster had a different experience as a student in Murrysville. I think he/she simply hasn't been in your shoes. I think he was trying to say that buying clothes to fit in means there is a deeper rooted problem. Good luck to you too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh