Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:06 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

Most Pgher's go to Keystone State Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 AM

346 posts, read 537,215 times
I really disagree The "Outer Banks" are huge I believe they stretch for many miles and true in parts like Kitty Hawk, and Nags Head, South Nags Head etc... there can be quite a bit of tourist and alot of development, but if you go far North or South there are lots of parts of the Outer Banks that are very remote and empty and at times you can feel like the whole beach is yours.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Most of the people that I know go to either the Outer Banks, Hilton Head Island or Stone Harbor/Avalon.

I spent a summer at Dewey Beach Deleware. That is a party town. Rehobeth is more of family spot with some development. Bethany Beach is also a family spot but there isn't much there. Maybe things have changed since I was last there since it was a long time ago.

Unless your baby is great in the car, I would head to one of the Erie beaches because they are closer. The one that I want to check out is Van Buren Point, NY.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,778 times
Why don't you hop on a plane and go to Mexico? Kids stay for free in those all-included resorts and they have nannies and everything.

I didn't like ocean City Maryland and nor ocean City new jersey.

We camped at lake erie and Port clinton in Ohio but Come on, nothing can be compared with those turquoise Carribean beaches and being able to sip a drink on the beach.

Erie beches were dirty, exremely dirty and in OCMD there wasn't a single toilet on the beach and the food was crappy (fast food). In OC NJ they didn;t sell liquor in restaurants!!! We didn;t know. We asked why and they said because it's a family resort?!?! We were puzzled.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:04 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,729 times
Better pack your Kevlar vest if you vacation in Mexico these days.

The drug violence is starting to spill over into the resort areas. Not a place I'd recommend recently, esp. with kids in tow. Texas has put out a warning to all Colleges/High Schools to avoid Mexico, in its entirety, for spring break. Could just be a marketing scam to boost revenue at South Padre but I don't think so.

I'd go to the Bahamas, Atlantis Resort specifically, if I had the $ and if it was for the kids.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
I've been to Cape May, NJ 4 of the last 5 years. The town itself is kinda crowded (though not as crowded as most of the Jersey Shore) but there are a few gems within short driving distance of Cape May that aren't nearly as crowded and still have nice ocean access for kids to play in (North Cape May/Villas, Cape May Point). To have a cottage within walking distance of the beach is a great plus with young kids, and you can have that in the aforementioned places, as well as in West Cape May (which is right next to Cape May itself and its main beach).

Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I've never understood the fascination with Myrtle Beach. My family always went to Isle of Palms outside Charleston.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:56 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've never understood the fascination with Myrtle Beach. My family always went to Isle of Palms outside Charleston.
I don't like the 'new' Isle of Palms with all the big mansions.
I much preferred the old Isle of Palms with the little beach houses.
What a difference a hurricane makes....

Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 PM

165 posts, read 262,515 times
I grew up vacationing in Sea Isle City, New Jersey every summer. Small, wonderful town with a great non-commerical feel, but close enough to Atlantic City, Wildwood, etc if you want something a little more exciting for an evening. We always rented a condo for the week but there is everything from efficiencies to houses available.

I'll also throw in an honorable mention for Bethany Beach, Delaware and Ocean City, New Jersey. Ocean City is a dry town so it's popular with families.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:27 PM

30 posts, read 76,504 times
Growing up an hour north of Pittsburgh, we always went to Presque Isle State Park for a "beach" trip. There are hotels there if you want to do a week-end (or longer) trip.

Now living in Maryland, my family goes to Ocean City, MD every year for our beach trip (Mom & sis travel down from western PA). There is a range of accomodations available and you can do as much or as little as you please. My kids all love to go there and the youngest one went as a baby. To find out what's available, check Ocean City Maryland - OC Maryland Vacation

Wherever you go, have fun & take lots of pics of that baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh