U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2011, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Sh-ittsburgh, PA & Lancaster County, PA
1,017 posts, read 1,950,822 times
Reputation: 292

Advertisements

Anyone remember the news late last year about a local IGA franchise was going to take over Schwartz Market on the South Side as well as put a location Downtown? Well, looks like the South Side deal isn't happening;

83-Year-Old Schwartz Market Closing On South Side - Project Economy News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.wtae.com/money/27027287/detail.html - broken link)

And I highly doubt if you ever see it opening Downtown. People like to look/sound big with all these plans, but look like fools when things don't pan out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
1,758 posts, read 3,768,848 times
Reputation: 535
It will not be an IGA but the building owner is active in her pursuit to find an operator who will specialize in organics and prepared foods. I think a concept like that will work on the South Side.
As for the IGA that was to open Downtown, I am a bit disappointed, given that Downtown could use such a store. However, that location on the southwest corner of Forbes and Wood will not sit vacant for long. A new fifteen story hotel and office complex is being built next door. Point Park University continues to expand it's footprint along Wood and Forbes. A so called "mystery buyer": is buying up chunks of property all along Wood. There is too much activity all around this building to not hear something fairly significant in the coming year or so.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11059/1128562-53.stm

Last edited by nuwaver88; 02-28-2011 at 11:19 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 AM
 
20,273 posts, read 30,020,528 times
Reputation: 2898
Why all the anger?

Development projects fizzle all the time, for dozens of different reasons. There is no use getting emotional about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 AM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,660 posts, read 20,605,280 times
Reputation: 13757
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Why all the anger?

Development projects fizzle all the time, for dozens of different reasons. There is no use getting emotional about it.
I can understand the anger a bit, if the people are venting because of a dislike for Giant Eagle. I personally very much dislike them and think they give you very little for your dollar. You also have to read everything they sell very closely because they try to squeeze every penny out of people to the point of being close to fraud, IMHO. I can certainly understand people hoping for any other kind of grocery store to shop.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 08:21 AM
 
Location: ɥbɹnqsʇʇıd
4,601 posts, read 6,045,420 times
Reputation: 3516
It seems like no one on this forum likes Giant Eagle for the reason described above (overpriced goods and scam-like tactics). Yet every time I pass by one it's packed to the brim with shoppers. It's one of those issues where Yinzer power is out in full force and no amount of free thinkers will change their business practices.

My entire family shops there exclusively, yet openly admits their bakery and deli are awful (but they still buy groceries there anyway). Then there's other people who swear that Giant Eagle's baked goods are the best around. I just don't get it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
1,036 posts, read 1,391,007 times
Reputation: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
It seems like no one on this forum likes Giant Eagle for the reason described above (overpriced goods and scam-like tactics). Yet every time I pass by one it's packed to the brim with shoppers. It's one of those issues where Yinzer power is out in full force and no amount of free thinkers will change their business practices.

My entire family shops there exclusively, yet openly admits their bakery and deli are awful (but they still buy groceries there anyway). Then there's other people who swear that Giant Eagle's baked goods are the best around. I just don't get it.
Agreed! People complain about Giant Eagle and Wal-Mart yet they're always packed. Same scenario when a community group adamantly protests against a Wal-Mart...it gets built, it's always packed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 AM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,660 posts, read 20,605,280 times
Reputation: 13757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
It seems like no one on this forum likes Giant Eagle for the reason described above (overpriced goods and scam-like tactics). Yet every time I pass by one it's packed to the brim with shoppers. It's one of those issues where Yinzer power is out in full force and no amount of free thinkers will change their business practices.

My entire family shops there exclusively, yet openly admits their bakery and deli are awful (but they still buy groceries there anyway). Then there's other people who swear that Giant Eagle's baked goods are the best around. I just don't get it.
The closest two grocery stores to my home are that huge Giant Eagle in the Waterworks and the little Community Market in Fox Chapel Plaza. Guess what, they are owned by the same person and you will see plenty of Giant Eagle products in the Community Market. I have to drive about 10-12 minutes to get to the Trader Joes, which I do at least once a week. The Giant Eagle in the Waterworks is always crowded. I cannot imagine the money they make there. Giant Eagle has very close to a monopoly in Pittsburgh and people shop there because it is easy to get to usually. I very much dislike them and their style. Not impressed with their quality when you factor price. Not much anyone can do. I don't know how people can afford it? When I go to Trader Joes, I can get things at such a discounted rate compared to G. Eagle and I think wow, G. Eagle has so many stores in one area and they charge that much? They are gouging beyond belief.

I loved when Whole Foods came to the East End. That Whole Foods sold out of about everything in the first week and wasn't prepared for the tons of people that bought groceries there. I talked to the management and they said it was one of the biggest openings they have ever had. That Whole Foods is one of the best stores in the country for its size. That says a lot. I am sure the Trader Joes is happy as well. I personally think they should have made the TJ's bigger though, but I am so happy to shop there. My favorite place to get groceries by far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Hempfield Twp
781 posts, read 1,213,075 times
Reputation: 210
We try to only shop at GE with coupons. That is the only way you can get a "decent" price and when I say decent, that brings GE prices down to the same level as Wally Worlds every day prices.

We try to shop as much as possible at Costco, Delallos and CW meats in Irwin. Product is much better and so are the prices. We do make occassional trips to McGinnis but they are more expensive than GE but again, the product is better. Only thing I wish we had out East here is a good fish market. The flash frozen crap in GE just doesn't cut it.

We buy "staples" at Wally World (name brand pasta, sauce, canned goods, paper products (when we can't get to Costco) because the prices are so much better. Produce is hit and miss but we but the majority of that at Costco, anyhow.

GE's Tuscany bread is pretty tasty, I must admit but at $3.70 a loaf or whatever it is up to now, we hardly ever get it anymore.

I do wish there was more competition here in PGH. This is just a redux of previous posts but having a bunch of strategically placed Wegmans would be a game changer in PGH. If I only had the cash....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
6,304 posts, read 7,952,047 times
Reputation: 3960
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
The closest two grocery stores to my home are that huge Giant Eagle in the Waterworks and the little Community Market in Fox Chapel Plaza. Guess what, they are owned by the same person and you will see plenty of Giant Eagle products in the Community Market. I have to drive about 10-12 minutes to get to the Trader Joes, which I do at least once a week. The Giant Eagle in the Waterworks is always crowded. I cannot imagine the money they make there. Giant Eagle has very close to a monopoly in Pittsburgh and people shop there because it is easy to get to usually. I very much dislike them and their style. Not impressed with their quality when you factor price. Not much anyone can do. I don't know how people can afford it? When I go to Trader Joes, I can get things at such a discounted rate compared to G. Eagle and I think wow, G. Eagle has so many stores in one area and they charge that much? They are gouging beyond belief.

I loved when Whole Foods came to the East End. That Whole Foods sold out of about everything in the first week and wasn't prepared for the tons of people that bought groceries there. I talked to the management and they said it was one of the biggest openings they have ever had. That Whole Foods is one of the best stores in the country for its size. That says a lot. I am sure the Trader Joes is happy as well. I personally think they should have made the TJ's bigger though, but I am so happy to shop there. My favorite place to get groceries by far.
Community is owned by a different family; the family who owns Community though owns the Giant Eagle in Verona and shares warehouse space with that Giant Eagle which is why they sell Giant Eagle items (or so that's how it was explained to me).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Western PA
3,711 posts, read 5,255,048 times
Reputation: 3132
One of the Trader Joe's staff was telling me that they are so sorry they didn't build a bigger store in East Liberty, given the volume of business they have now. He said they were scouting for larger quarters, but it's tough to find a suitable site, and the store has only been open for a few years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top