Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,473,512 times

Advertisements

It's sad to see the Igloo going by the wayside, but, things change. I have a ton of memories from that venue, the most recent being the James Taylor-Carole King concert. Imagine that, no half naked dancers, no laser light show, just talent.

My all time favorite event was in 1968 when the Pittsburgh Pipers won the first ABA championship. Too bad they left town that year, could have been an NBA franchise a few years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 03:09 PM

362 posts, read 916,624 times
Saw The Allman Brothers Band there in 72 or 73 (memory is a bit fuzzy), they opened the roof and all the "SMOKE" (not cigarettes) rose up and out of the arena. A great show and a great time was had by all!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,473,512 times
Wow, I really thought all those that live in the City would have a good story, guess not. Maybe it's just we suburbanites that appreciate it.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
Saw The Allman Brothers Band there in 72 or 73 (memory is a bit fuzzy), they opened the roof and all the "SMOKE" (not cigarettes) rose up and out of the arena. A great show and a great time was had by all!
Man how times have changed. Imagine all of the arrests that would be made if that went on today.

I was born in 84 and missed out on all the good stuff.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:58 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,355,293 times
Is that where the Beatles performed in 1963 or 64? If so, I was there!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,114,432 times
Going to the last regular season pens game in April. That was a wonderful night.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:39 PM

46 posts, read 78,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Man how times have changed. Imagine all of the arrests that would be made if that went on today.

I was born in 84 and missed out on all the good stuff.
You obviously havent been to Stage AE then. During the girl talk/whiz khalifa/snoop dog and another show, im pretty sure I had a contact high from all the weed smoking going on. Cops were looking for it and what not for a few shows, but lots still got in.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuzzie View Post
You obviously havent been to Stage AE then. During the girl talk/whiz khalifa/snoop dog and another show, im pretty sure I had a contact high from all the weed smoking going on. Cops were looking for it and what not for a few shows, but lots still got in.
Oh believe me, I've been to plenty of smoked out shows, I've seen the Kottonmouth Kings about 5 times or so. My point is that it was so much more widely accepted back in the day.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 AM

8 posts, read 15,161 times
I remember going to the Igloo so many times as a kid. I thought it was the most wonderful place on earth. I got attached to hockey in the early 90's when I was 5. My dad worked for the Donnelly Directory at the time. He used to score Pens tickets often and spring for them on his own other times. I sat in the Howard Hanna box for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup playoffs in 1990. I remember garbage raining down on Chris Terreri with like a minute left in that one...people thought it was the end of the world losing game one. I was at the Stanley Cup Final game in 08 when that clown threw the octopus on the ice..not my greatest memory by far. I also was lucky enough to skate there twice during the season ticket holder free skate..that was awesome.

But by far my favorite Civic/Mellon Arena memory was a Saturday afternoon game when the Quebec Nordiques who were one of my favorite teams (when you're that young you don't know why you like a team..you just do..and it was probably their name that initially attracted me). But Sakic and Forsberg when they were young...they were amazing. Well the only tickets my dad could find had one of them behind one of those god awful poles in the D level corner from the E balcony. I remember my dad cramming himself behind this pole..dodging left and right the whole game. It has always stuck with me that he did that..and I make sure to ask him first when I come across some tickets for anything.

That whole building is a great memory..the old scoreboard flashing "Jagr, Jagr, Jagr" or before there was a banner to hang in that place and they hung all the NHL team banners around the arena. Walking through the front door and smelling cinnamon roasted almonds. Or being in high school when Rico Fata was dawning the jersey and still standing in (albeit a much smaller) student rush line to sit in B level for $20 on a Saturday night when the Leafs were in town. I was literally depressed when they announced they were moving..I thought it could be the Fenway Park of the NHL. But my fiancee and I sat 5 rows off the glass behind the net for the 4th home game of this year against the Islanders and I officially changed my stance. The new building is so awesome and such a better experience. But the Igloo will always be where I fell in love with hockey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh