Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:49 AM

77 posts, read 286,002 times

Advertisements

OK. I'm going to weigh in here on some finer points about working at Pitt/UPMC, especially in light of the move of Children's Hospital to Lawrenceville. My partner just started working at the Medical School at Pitt in June, and will need to travel to the new Children's Hospital from his office in Oakland when it opens.

1. The waiting list for parking at Pitt is not that bad. My partner was told to expect a LONG wait time for parking, and then not to expect a great lot that would be convenient to his office. Only a month and a half later, he was just offered a parking spot in a Pitt garage for $95/month, which is not that bad. He's currently commuting to Pitt from Bethel Park via the T and bus, and while it's not a bad commute compared to our commutes in Baltimore/DC and San Francisco, it's a little long for Pittsburgh standards at a little over 90 minutes each way. If he drives, even with the tunnel traffic, his commute will likely be cut in half.

2. If you can get to Oakland on public transportation, and most forms of public transit in Pittsburgh stop in Oakland (except the T - which is a topic for another post), you can take a convenient Pitt or UPMC shuttle to the new Children's Hospital in Lawrenceville. The University and UPMC have made assurances for years to the faculty, staff, and students there that they will provide transportation between the Lawrenceville hospital and the main campus points in Oakland. And I see no reason why this shouldn't be the case. There is a very efficient shuttle service between the UPMC Oakland hospitals and Shadyside Hospital now, and they are no farther from each other than the new Children's will be in Lawrenceville.

I'm in a "dual-academic" relationship as well where my new place of employment (a Penn State campus in Sharon, PA) is far flung from my partner's place of employment at Pitt, but we have made it work, and I have confidence that you will make it work as well. Enjoy Pittsburgh, pick a neighborhood you like, find a great place to live, and don't worry about the commutes. Compared to the cities you have lived in before, Pittsburgh should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghlibrarian View Post
1. The waiting list for parking at Pitt is not that bad. My partner was told to expect a LONG wait time for parking, and then not to expect a great lot that would be convenient to his office. Only a month and a half later, he was just offered a parking spot in a Pitt garage for $95/month, which is not that bad. He's currently commuting to Pitt from Bethel Park via the T and bus, and while it's not a bad commute compared to our commutes in Baltimore/DC and San Francisco, it's a little long for Pittsburgh standards at a little over 90 minutes each way. If he drives, even with the tunnel traffic, his commute will likely be cut in half.
Thanks for the inside information! $95/month is bargain parking! That's great news!

Quote:
2. If you can get to Oakland on public transportation, and most forms of public transit in Pittsburgh stop in Oakland (except the T - which is a topic for another post), you can take a convenient Pitt or UPMC shuttle to the new Children's Hospital in Lawrenceville.
I just wanted to clarify that most public transportation doesn't directly stop in Oakland. From most parts of Pittsburgh and surrounding communities, getting to Oakland requires a transfer downtown. As you already know first hand, that adds considerable time to the commute.

Quote:
The University and UPMC have made assurances for years to the faculty, staff, and students there that they will provide transportation between the Lawrenceville hospital and the main campus points in Oakland. And I see no reason why this shouldn't be the case. There is a very efficient shuttle service between the UPMC Oakland hospitals and Shadyside Hospital now, and they are no farther from each other than the new Children's will be in Lawrenceville.
It's good to know that she'll have transportation available if she just focused on a neighborhood convenient for getting to Oakland. The downside is that hopping on that shuttle will add time to the commute too. If I didn't already own a home, I wouldn't buy until I was working in Lawrenceville and I'd buy so I could get there easily. She's lucky in that regard. She doesn't have to resort to taking that shuttle because she's not stuck with a mortgage yet.

Quote:
I'm in a "dual-academic" relationship as well where my new place of employment (a Penn State campus in Sharon, PA).....
Congratulations! I remember when you were going for the interview.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 AM

121 posts, read 367,798 times
I believe you can do this, and I don't think it'll be as hard as it may sound.

The sidewalks here are generally fine. I don't often see sections that are bad enough to catch my attention, and when I do it's usually in less desirable neighborhoods. I'd say sidewalks are a non-factor.

If you are willing to walk a little ways to the bus-stop, I think you have some good options. Many many buses go to Oakland, so let's focus on buses to Lawrenceville. I showed one in my earlier post. You can also go to the port authority website at Port Authority of Allegheny County and look at the routes that go through Lawrenceville, and see what other neighborhoods they go to.

I do agree that Shadyside is a good option. Bear in mind that Liberty Avenue has a bike lane now, and that goes right through Lawrenceville. Parts of Shadyside are pretty close to that street and also convenient to amenities. Shadyside has good schools too.

I think you can do this. People are trying to point out the things you need to keep in mind, and thus it may be coming across as if this will be difficult. But in fact I think it's very doable.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:14 PM

56 posts, read 191,278 times
Quote:
2. If you can get to Oakland on public transportation, and most forms of public transit in Pittsburgh stop in Oakland (except the T - which is a topic for another post), you can take a convenient Pitt or UPMC shuttle to the new Children's Hospital in Lawrenceville.
Thanks; this is very good to hear, as it opens up a whole range of neighborhoods we had thought were less manageable, like Squirrel Hill.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:16 PM

56 posts, read 191,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil View Post
I believe you can do this, and I don't think it'll be as hard as it may sound.
Good to hear; thank you.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinpgh View Post
Thanks; this is very good to hear, as it opens up a whole range of neighborhoods we had thought were less manageable, like Squirrel Hill.
I think Squirrel Hill to Lawrenceville will be VERY do-able. Your husband will have a longish commute to California, but once they complete the Mon-Fayette Expressway PA-43 (will any of us be living? ), it will be a breeze. Actually, the commute down 51 and 43 from Pittsburgh isn't a bad one.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Congratulations! I remember when you were going for the interview.
Thanks Hopes! I'm finishing up my last week here in DC and should be fully moved to Pittsburgh by next week.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinpgh View Post
Thanks Hopes! I'm finishing up my last week here in DC and should be fully moved to Pittsburgh by next week.
Wow! No more long distance relationship! That's great!

When does the lease expire again? (I remember you were planning to only stay in the South Hills until it expired.)

Do you have an idea of which areas that are more centrally located between your places of employment that you like best?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wow! No more long distance relationship! That's great!

When does the lease expire again? (I remember you were planning to only stay in the South Hills until it expired.)

Do you have an idea of which areas that are more centrally located between your places of employment that you like best?
Our lease expires at the end of April 2008, so we really only have about 9 months left to live in the South Hills. We really like where we live, and we'll be sad to move, but a more centrally located place will be better for my car and my sanity!

We will most likely move to an apartment in Cranberry Township when the lease is up, but we have looked at some places in Wexford and northern Allegheny County as well. It's a little father for me, but the Airport area may work out as well. There are some good apartments in Moon and Robinson townships. In a few years we'll probably buy a house and Southern Butler or Beaver County look attractive for a number of reasons, taxes being the biggest concern. I told my mom what some of the millage rates were in Allegheny County and she nearly fell off her chair. And this is coming from a homeowner in New York State, another place infamous for high property taxes.

We really like Cranberry Township, and have taken a look at Beaver and Monaca and liked what we saw. My dream house is a early 20th century bungalow, so Beaver may be just what we are looking for. We need to do a little more exploring of Butler and Beaver Counties. I appreciate the insights that everyone has given on here - they have been really helpful.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
There are a lot of early 20th century houses in Patterson Hts, Beaver County, though you may find the commutes a bit much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh