U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:40 PM

43,012 posts, read 98,921,371 times

Advertisements

Thanks, janiesgirl and tommygoat. Unfortunately, that's the norm for Pittsburgh. Too many neighborhood grocery stores closed because the big dollars are in centralized stores. That won't help the OP live without a car though. The reality is that the neighborhood stores closed because most Pittsburghers drive their cars to the larger grocery chains to save money. That's what put the neighborhood grocery stores out of business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 10:27 PM

83 posts, read 233,580 times
Yeah - what a drag. Walmart & Home Depot are sweeping the nation.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 PM

90,377 posts, read 109,735,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygoat View Post
Yeah - what a drag. Walmart & Home Depot are sweeping the nation.
And many of us are shopping there. I had an "epiphany" about Wal-Mart a while back. A friend and I were talking about WM supposedly destroying small towns, and I said that by the time they came to our neighboring small town, there was no downtown left to destroy. Suddenly, it occurred to me, that, despite all the hype, that is probably true of a lot of small towns. First it was Sears/Roebuck that supposedly destroyed small towns, then the malls, then WalMart. And you can't keep my husband out of Home Depot!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:45 PM

83 posts, read 233,580 times
Sorry to go off topic ... but ... If we just had those flying Jetson Cars that we were promised in 1960's everything would be so much cooler!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:38 PM

56 posts, read 177,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks, janiesgirl and tommygoat. Unfortunately, that's the norm for Pittsburgh. Too many neighborhood grocery stores closed because the big dollars are in centralized stores. That won't help the OP live without a car though. The reality is that the neighborhood stores closed because most Pittsburghers drive their cars to the larger grocery chains to save money. That's what put the neighborhood grocery stores out of business.
I'll have a car. I just won't have two. And the groceries within walking distance of my house now are Safeway, Albertsons, Fry's and Trader Joes (I forgot that last one during my count.) So, major chains.

It's a whopping two miles to Target from here.

I suspect the reason Pittsburgh has this problem is that you've lost so much population; what I'm describing is pretty much the norm (although not six- acre lots, a sixth-acre lot) in a lot of Western cities...

Old 07-31-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygoat View Post
Sorry to go off topic ... but ... If we just had those flying Jetson Cars that we were promised in 1960's everything would be so much cooler!
That would be so cool. The downside is an accident would mean certain death!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinpgh View Post
I'll have a car. I just won't have two. And the groceries within walking distance of my house now are Safeway, Albertsons, Fry's and Trader Joes (I forgot that last one during my count.) So, major chains.
I don't understand the importance of being able to walk to the grocery store. I couldn't carry my groceries home if my life depended on it because my care is filled with bags when I go shopping. It's just one trip per week to a grocery that's often just five minutes away. With a little planning, there's no need to go grocery shopping the rest of the week.

You'll broaden your options if you drop the requirement of having a grocery store within walking distance. You really risk missing out on a great neighborhood because of your wanting to latch onto that one thing. It's very easy to adapt to planned shopping trips. If all you need is a nearby place to grab milk during the week, many neighorhoods have convenience stores for that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinpgh View Post
I suspect the reason Pittsburgh has this problem is that you've lost so much population; what I'm describing is pretty much the norm (although not six- acre lots, a sixth-acre lot) in a lot of Western cities...
Most eastern cities have the same problem as Pittsburgh in regards to neighborhood grocery stores. Thanks for restating the lot size. You can easily have a sixth acre lot in the greater Pittsburgh area. It just won't be in what you consider a walkable neighborhood though.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:36 AM

56 posts, read 177,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't understand the importance of being able to walk to the grocery store.
It's a proxy.

We know for certain that California has only one of the amenities we're interested in having access to, and that's a college campus. The grocery store is... well, equivalent to the one you would find in an extrordinarily impoverished area here. There's like two restaurants, and one of them is a DQ. Eh.

Maybe I'll just change careers. Thanks for the help, though.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:53 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,634,293 times
Default Monongahela

Sorry LostinPgh, I was thinking used book stores, not new. And in Pleasant Hills, I was thinking of the neighborhood behind the Foodland, which would be most accessbile for a walker.

I wouldn't live in Charleroi. There are some nice neighborhoods, but on the norm, I wouldn't walk there. No new (or used) book shoppes in Monongahela (except for my used book shoppe which I closed a few years ago), but there are sidewalks all over town, and there is a Community Park with a gazebo and farmers market, as well as a place in our nations history during the migration west along the river, and the Whiskey Rebellion. Fireworks on the 4th of July from the riverbank aquatorium, and a good sense of community. Nice, well kept older homes, antique shoppes galore, coffee shoppe, bakery, banks, mom & pop stores. It is just generally a nice older town, with sidewalks on all the streets - a bit hilly, but sidewalk access all over town. 88 Bus Lines run thru town, into Pittsburgh, where you can transfer to where you need to go.

blessings, Shen

Old 07-31-2007, 09:21 AM

67 posts, read 269,055 times
Default If I were you...

I would live in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside. You'll have proximity to shopping and work. Your other half will just have to make the working commute as pleasant an experience as possible (listen to NPR!).

As for transportation to your work, when I worked at CMU several years ago, there were a number of carpools from all different areas. Pitt is so much larger - I'm certain the carpool availability increases proportionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh