Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 AM

7 posts, read 36,670 times

Advertisements

I've just moved to Pittsburgh, and I'd like to know a bit more about the area I live in...

I've moved into what I've been told used to be a housing project two years ago, but has now been remodeled into *very* nice town homes. The guy who installed my cable was telling me that it was probably the worst neighborhood in Pittsburgh before it was shut down, bought up again, and remodeled. Well, it got me a bit worried, and now I'm kicking myself for not having researched this BEFORE I moved.

Luckily, the complex I live in has some (armed) private security and will soon be gated (They are still building that part). These security guards told us once that it used to be a “bad” neighborhood, essentially I’m here to get a feel for how bad it is now, or if there are any nearby areas I should avoid.

I live just north-west of Crafton and Ingram, in a complex called Emerald Gardens. Only two rows of roughly 10 are being rented right now, the rest are still being remodeled.

Village Rd. Pittsburgh, PA 15205 - Google Maps

I'm actually a little afraid to ask, but ignorance is not bliss - This complex is very nice, some good people living here, I'm mostly curious about the surrounding area. I quizzed my cable guy for a bit about the surrounding area and his response was mostly that this place used to be really bad, but the surrounding area is fine.

What's worse is I don't much have a concept of crime... I just moved from my home town of Morgantown, WV - where any kind of major crime is unheard of.

Any information is helpful, just don't tell me not to move there... I already have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 05:32 AM

134 posts, read 563,007 times
The area used to have a housing project known as Brodhead Manor, it was a VERY bad area. The surronding areas are relatively safe and nice though, and with the removal of Brodhead you should be fine.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 AM

27 posts, read 143,758 times
Damn man, that used to be Westgate Village/Broadhead Manor, one of the worst housing complexes in the whole city. I lived right up the road from there when I was younger, and it used to be a place you really couldn't even drive thru it was so dangerous. Last time I heard Broadhead Manor was still somewhat open, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's been improved since they knocked down Westgate village, does the area seem nice in general to you?

Outside of the immediate place you are, the area is pretty nice. Ingram and Sheraden are kinda run down, but not dangerous. Elliot and Esplen seem to be sorta bad, especially once you get off the main roads. But really, the area you are was pretty much the spot to avoid for years, at least thats my take on it. It's pretty much isolated back there so it's easy to avoid, but it was pretty notorious back in the day.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:34 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,342 times
Good ole Westgate. It was a terrible project and I suspect it will be terrible once again in a few years. Live it up while it's good! Also all they did was change the windows. That place will always look like the projects.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:34 PM

"It's pretty much isolated back there so it's easy to avoid"

Not easy to avoid if I live there...

I just looked up the location of this Westgate place, seems it's just down the road from me. I've only lived here for a few days so far, so don't be surprised that I've not seen it yet. That is a little disconcerting; hopefully it's being renovated and rented normally like the place I’m at.

I know my cable guy was under the impression that the place I live in is still a project - it's not - I'm paying about the same rent that anyone would, anywhere else in Pittsburgh (~$800). He also expressed that "the same people would probably move back" - I don't see that happening with the rent as high as it is - and I doubt they'd pass the background check.

But for the most part, going by why you guys are saying, it seems that the only bad neighborhood was this place - years ago. This Westgate place might be getting renovated and rented normally (i.e. not a project anymore), I'll have to look into it, if that is the case then it sounds like it should be fine.

Thanks for all the info.

PS: Regarding "all they did was change the windows" - if you are speaking of where I am now, you're 1000% wrong. These places were gutted and completely redone, I've been in some of the units they are still working on, and they are stripped bare. I even have granite counter tops, so you should probably see the inside before you go making a judgment like that. Besides, if all you did was drive past, all you would see is new windows... that doesn’t say anything about what is inside.

Last edited by Mortico; 07-25-2007 at 03:44 PM..

Old 07-25-2007, 04:06 PM

134 posts, read 563,007 times
You've got it right, Broadhead/Westgate was the truely bad area, the rest is/was okay. If the rent prices are where you say they are then you have nothing worry about, besides some locals maintaining a negative image of the place.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:33 PM

27 posts, read 143,758 times
1st off 800 seems pretty steep, especially considering the area and everything.

2nd of Westgate was where you are living, Village road was where Westgate Village was located, Broadhead Manor is the apartments down the road a bit on Mazette. It sounds like they are just going to remodel the apartments you are at, which isn't suprising since Westgate has been closed for almost a decade now. I'd just be a bit weary, Broadhead Manor is still standing last time I checked, and there's no telling if HUD has any plans to fix em up a little and open it back up as a public housing complex, they still own the land and haven't really done much with it, and with alot of other complexes being knocked down, the idea of re-opening Broadhead might not be far off. If that's the case, I'd move ASAP.

I'm not trying to be negative here even though it may come off like that. It may hard to imagine just what kinda hellhole the place was in the 80's-90's and I just hope it doesnt end up that way for you again.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:16 PM

Yeah, my fears have mostly subsided, thanks to the info here.

I think I've gotten at least a few odd looks when I tell people where I live, I guess not everyone got the memo that it was being refurbished :P That doesen't bother me though ofc. A few frowns is nothing compared to drug-dealing, guns and domestic violence.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM

36 posts, read 125,153 times
Default Emerald garden

My boyfriend and I looked at these new townhouses back in May. I asked the person who showed us the place if they used to be section 8/hud apartments before. She did admit they were and that they all had been gutted. I asked her how long ago they were governtment housing and she said they have been empty for 6 years. So I am sure the riff raff have found other homes by now..LOL
We liked the townhomes and liked the fact that they have a security guard that drives around the plan. I believe she also said it will be a gated community and they will be building some stores there as well.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:42 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,342 times
Broadhead manor is not still standing. This used to be directly across from westgate village. Fairywood is next to westgate. The projects in fairywood are still standing but most are boarded up as a result of the flood. These are still projects. Drive down to broadhead and w. prospect and you'll see what the area is like, although you shouldn't have to drive that way to get to and from your apt. Closer to your complex there is a school that is closed down, the community center that is boarded up, and a pool/playground that is closed and dead. I'm not trying to scare you but drug dealers frequent the area so don't be suprised if you hear gunshots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh