Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 AM

8 posts, read 15,681 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I've been wanting to move to Pittsburgh for a long time, and am lined up for a job interview with my company as a Mortgage Loan Officer. I am confident that I have a fair shot at the job. My next step is making friends and developing COI's. Does anyone know or have connections in real estate? Also, does anyone have some free time to show me around in the coming weeks? I need to know who are the big players in real estate, and also looking for a neighborhood to live in. I want an urban neighborhood that has relatively low crime. I would be renting at first, until I get a better feel for the city. My job would be located in Wexford, but I want to live in Pittsburgh. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 07:06 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Good Morning Robin, and welcome in advance to Pittsburgh!

I relocated to this fine city myself several months ago from the suburbs of Washington, DC, and I have never been happier. We may be bleeding residents at an alarming rate, have a plethora of potholes, and have some rather dreary weather, but overall this city offers an amazing "bang for your buck" factor, friendly people, and oozes history and nostalgic appeal from every pore.

Wexford is located in the northern reaches of Allegheny County, just south of Cranberry Twp. in adjacent Butler County. While commuting is generally a breeze from the city to the northern suburbs you will probably want to stay as close as possible to the I-279 Corridor. From I-279 North you'll want to take Exit 73 onto Wexford Bayne Road eastbound into Wexford. You can also take U.S. Route 19 (Perry Highway) or Business Route 19 (McKnight Road) North into Wexford, but each of these routes will have lower speed limits, more traffic, traffic signals, etc.

The nearest city neighborhoods to Wexford are in the North Side. Safety here varies, but some places I'd recommend would be the Mexican War Street/Central North Side and West Allegheny (for an "urban" feel with brick rowhomes and walkability to Downtown), Troy Hill (for a "small town in the city" feel with some great views from certain areas), Brighton Heights, and then further north to the "suburb in the city" areas like Observatory Hill. You may also want to look into the adjacent inner suburbs of Bellevue or Avalon.

You can also live in parts of the East End, but your commute would become a bit more complicated. For example, Highland Park is a nice neighborhood, but your easiest route to work (Highland Park Bridge to Route 28 Southbound to I-279 North) would take you through a nasty construction zone in the evenings on Route 28 Northbound that often backs traffic up for 20 minutes. You could also take back-roads to get yourself from Wexford to Route 8 (crossing into Pittsburgh) or Route 8 to Route 28 to the Highland Park Bridge into the city in the evenings I suppose, but I'm not familiar with how this commute would be.

Technically Mt. Washington could even be feasible. You can take McArdle down the hillside to the Liberty Bridge, which will cross Downtown and give you easy access to I-279. I wouldn't bother with a South Hills (i.e. Beechview, Brookline, Dormont, etc.)-to-Wexford commute.

I would strongly advise the Central North Side/Mexican War Streets to you. There are several on this sub-forum who live in that area who could probably also help you out with apartments/realtors.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
How do you keep changing your username?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
I agree with SCR. Stay on the North side of the river, or you'll go crazy from the traffic.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How do you keep changing your username?
I wear magic underpants.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I wear magic underpants.
That would've been a good name.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
To change your username you need to contact a senior mod (Marka or me) about it. Now back on topic folks, please.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh