Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,048,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Pittsburgh is the only place I've been where so many places are cash only. Why is that?
New Orleans is the same way outside of the French Quarter. People there are entrenched, old and stubborn. They still use checks too.

I'd like to see some gelato shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 AM

801 posts, read 1,099,067 times
Most of the suggestions posted thus far have been related to eateries and retail shops. I think the region has plenty of restaurants. As retail goes, I am a perpetually frustrated shopper. I go into stores, small businesses and larger chains alike and come out empty handed. I don't know what the root problem is - A procurement/buyer problem, or are buyers having a problem with availability of goods at the wholesale level. I'm not interested in seeing one more retail store stocked full with the same products and merchandise I see at every other store.

The only type of business I can think of that I would like to see more of is fortune 400 or 500 companies with headquarters operations located here.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,761,808 times
Seems Pittsburgh is overrun with so-called nonprofits. I would like to see any company that actually pays taxes. I also feel companies like UPMC shouldn't get away with buying up everything and not paying taxes.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,530,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
Most of the suggestions posted thus far have been related to eateries and retail shops. I think the region has plenty of restaurants. As retail goes, I am a perpetually frustrated shopper. I go into stores, small businesses and larger chains alike and come out empty handed. I don't know what the root problem is - A procurement/buyer problem, or are buyers having a problem with availability of goods at the wholesale level. I'm not interested in seeing one more retail store stocked full with the same products and merchandise I see at every other store.
Heh, I hear that. Depending upon what type of goods we're talking about, I sometimes cynically chalk it up to a taste problem, as in everyone else must have no taste because the store(s) only carry this crap. And while that's probably not the whole story, the reason you see certain products in stores instead of easily available other alternatives that might be more appealing to you is probably generally attributable to this, well, to the fact that people in general are less likely to buy whatever items we are not finding. A small independent store can has a better chance at curating (at least if they are interested in their specialty) a selection of "good stuff" but they certainly can't have as many things under one roof as a big store and it's a much bigger risk for them if that good stuff doesn't in fact end up selling. A big store chain only has a little leeway to deviate from the majority. And as long as people continue to only shop by price price price, we'll continue to see a lot of cheap junk. And the taste in food is still slanted way towards processed crap, even if there's a small uptick in trying to swing it back towards better stuff.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:38 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,082,512 times
Branch offices of Microsoft and Facebook.

And In-N-Out Burger.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:07 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,196,392 times
I'd like to see Pittsburgh get some new dining choices, like Jack-in-the-box which haven't come here yet.

If Pittsburgh is going to attract out of towners, giving them what they are used to is a good way for them to feel at home.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,082,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'd like to see Pittsburgh get some new dining choices, like Jack-in-the-box which haven't come here yet.

If Pittsburgh is going to attract out of towners, giving them what they are used to is a good way for them to feel at home.
Is there anything special about Jack-in-the-Box? In-N-Out Burger is supposed to be the best among the chains.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:00 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,134,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Heh, I hear that. Depending upon what type of goods we're talking about, I sometimes cynically chalk it up to a taste problem, as in everyone else must have no taste because the store(s) only carry this crap. And while that's probably not the whole story, the reason you see certain products in stores instead of easily available other alternatives that might be more appealing to you is probably generally attributable to this, well, to the fact that people in general are less likely to buy whatever items we are not finding. A small independent store can has a better chance at curating (at least if they are interested in their specialty) a selection of "good stuff" but they certainly can't have as many things under one roof as a big store and it's a much bigger risk for them if that good stuff doesn't in fact end up selling. A big store chain only has a little leeway to deviate from the majority. And as long as people continue to only shop by price price price, we'll continue to see a lot of cheap junk. And the taste in food is still slanted way towards processed crap, even if there's a small uptick in trying to swing it back towards better stuff.
Can either of you give concrete examples of what you're talking about? I honestly have no idea. There seem to be hundreds of non-chain specialty stores in Pittsburgh in my understanding.

Also, I wouldn't say that a predilection for processed crap is unique to Pittsburgh. I say this especially after living in the South for three years.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM

80 posts, read 110,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Is there anything special about Jack-in-the-Box? In-N-Out Burger is supposed to be the best among the chains.
Yeah, Jack-in-the-Box to me really isn't that great, especially to In-N-Out, but In-N-Out has been pretty insistent about not expanding outside of the southwest, at least for now...

Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,942,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post

The only type of business I can think of that I would like to see more of is fortune 400 or 500 companies with headquarters operations located here.
I like the big picture thinking in the last part. Although we could probably use their manufacturing/processing plants even more than their HQs.

As to retail, I'll echo others and ask what you're looking for. Other than haute couture design, I can't think of what's missing (although options may be limited compared to a larger east coast city). I also think "sameness" on the department store level is everywhere these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

2:00am drunk food is now a "dining choice"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
fwiw: Five Guys trumps In-n-Out. East Coast vs. West Coast Burger Throw Down. In-N-Out Burger vs. Five Guys Burgers and Fries | Fast Food Reviewed

If we're going the cheap food route, bring on the taco trucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh