U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 AM

9,560 posts, read 8,077,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniqV View Post
How on earth did we lose people to Cleveland?
Probably people looking for manufacturing jobs, particularly in the first half of last decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniqV View Post
Why is the Rust Belt the only area moving to LA?
The same reason people don't want to move to the Rust Belt: reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:33 AM

26,087 posts, read 45,317,491 times
What is with this incessant conga line from Allegheny County to NoVA? People must be sad if the only thing they care about in life are "JOBS".

Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 AM

11,093 posts, read 7,194,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Sobering map showing migration patterns

Migration Patterns by County

Lots of red lines out of Allegheny County and lots of black lines into Fulton County Georgia.
I tried maximizing them and minimizing them and to be honest, can get a feel of anything. I think the map would be much better if they had a list of places people moved to and from starting with the largest number to the smallest. Then you could get a feel for what is going on. I can't make heads or tails out of that map.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 AM

9,879 posts, read 9,223,823 times
The map's from 2008 don't forget. You can't infer that this coincides with anything that has transpired over the last 2 years since the end of 2008.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:37 AM

11,093 posts, read 7,194,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The map's from 2008 don't forget. You can't infer that this coincides with anything that has transpired over the last 2 years since the end of 2008.
Oh, then it really doesn't matter since Pittsburgh is quite different in 2011.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 AM

312 posts, read 381,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
What is with this incessant conga line from Allegheny County to NoVA? People must be sad if the only thing they care about in life are "JOBS".
I feel you . . . but people need to make a living. As I said before, Pittsburgh needs to work on its job producing environment and rein in its spending addiction and taxes. They need a visionary and someone who is not "owned" by the unions. Also I think Pittsburgh needs to accept the fact that it is a smaller city now . . . and that can be a good thing. Several other smaller rust belt cities have torn down depressed and abandoned areas of their city and made those areas into parks and public spaces. Be smaller but BETTER -- and embrace that.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,930,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I tried maximizing them and minimizing them and to be honest, can get a feel of anything. I think the map would be much better if they had a list of places people moved to and from starting with the largest number to the smallest. Then you could get a feel for what is going on. I can't make heads or tails out of that map.
Absolutely agree. That map is useful in that it demonstrates that large metro counties have lots of interchange with counties around the country, less so for rural counties.

But for digging into the details of migration patterns, it is really pretty awful. Doing it on a net basis is a problem (there is a big difference between 20 people moving from A to B, and 500 people moving from A to B and 480 people moving from B to A). As I noted before, the color choices are a problem. Using the width of lines to indicate volumes when there are so many converging lines is a problem. I personally find it hard to actually manipulate the map. And so on.

So unfortunately, as a visual presentation of data, I think that map is quite the failure. Interesting to look at for a minute or two, but not much use beyond that.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:26 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,930,501 times
Quote:
You know, you did it too.

Particularly when they are young, I think people should be encouraged to move around, try different things, acquire different skills and ideas, and so on. And any given move need not be an expression of one's permanent priorities in life.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 AM

547 posts, read 600,101 times
Quote:
Alot of young people from this part of the country move to the DC area because it's the closest big city with many jobs available.

I considered at one time but the cheapest place I could afford was in either in Hagerstown, MD or Martinsburg, WV...quite a trek.

Some of people I knew that moved there didn't care for it (especially one the ones from WV...they were made of fun of alot) and move back within a couple of years.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:58 AM

9,560 posts, read 8,077,508 times
Quote:
"They say that money isn't everything / well I'd like to see you live without it..." -Silverchair

Never mind that the U.S. Government has been on a massive hiring binge in the last 10 years thanks to its unprecedented and unsustainable expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh