U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 AM

9,871 posts, read 8,539,164 times
Yeah, I thought my move here was temporary as well, 2-3 years, even with continuing to work for the same company. Turned out ultimately my various roles in helping to grow the company (not roles I had originally intended or that even existed when I started) ended up working better being based here vs moving elsewhere.

Where ya gonna go Hopes? I suppose that's roughly off-topic for the thread, but I think that's an interesting outlook you have, that you're certain the next move will also be temporary, and wondering where you're thinking of.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 AM

40,250 posts, read 43,086,481 times
I sent you a PM because I didn't want Yac to yell at me for derailing the thread. The subject matter truly would have derailed it.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:50 AM

4,306 posts, read 2,735,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I looked for a place that was welcoming of the LGBT community (I've seen more rainbow flags here than in NoVA, believe it or not).
You phrase this as if NoVa were some hotbed of gay activity, and that has never been the case. For years, there wasn't a single gay bar in the Virginia suburbs of DC (I understand there's one now, near the King Street Metro). I know you worked out there, and that the area was much more expensive than when I lived there, but even so, when I worked in one of those Tyson's Corner office buildings, I lived in DC. I would no more have lived in NoVa than I would look to Pat Robertson for coming out advice.

IOW, I would expect to see more rainbow flags in Pittsburgh than in the Virginia suburbs. Fairfax City is to Christian as Dupont Circle is (or used to be) to gay. If nothing else, when all is said and done, the state of Virginia is home to two or three of the biggest gayhating organizations in the world.

But then, you can support eating at Chick Filet, which I will never understand.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:05 AM

4,306 posts, read 2,735,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I worry about Pittsburgh becoming as overrun with hippies and hipsters as Burlington, Vermont, Portland, Maine (or Portland, Oregon for that matter). I was at a variety show at a bar in Lawrenceville about a month ago, and my friends and I were surrounded by dozens and dozens of hipsters. We don't need a bunch of largely unemployed or underemployed people who spend all day smoking weed, showering irregularly, sitting around on park benches reciting poetry about Darfur, or holding "feel good" folk music rallies that raise little or no money but compensate for the lack of social place many of these individuals have. My family and I recently vacationed in Portland, Maine, and you could barely take two steps without tripping over drifters or hipsters.
Do you really think all hipsters don't work or go to school? Skinny jeans don't come cheap.

While you usually have something good to say, Paul, your snobbishness here reaches previously unattained heights. This treatise on hipsters may just be the most fatheaded thing you've ever put to pen.

And no, I'm not a hipster. I'm a member of one of your other broadbrushed demographic categories, the evil baby boomer.

Saying stuff like this about categories of people makes you seem less intelligent than I think you are, Paul. At the very least, it tells us much more about you than the hipsters you deride. You really need to learn when not to say something.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 AM

351 posts, read 494,490 times
Family is still here. I expected them to have moved South by now. Would love to live in a little shack in Murrell's Inlet, SC.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,245,616 times
Hipsters are just the latest version of bohemians, and every generation of young people since the invention of cities has had their own version. Kids will be kids, and I have no problem with this particular expression of youth--it can certainly be worse.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:13 AM

624 posts, read 1,117,538 times
Came here for grad school, totally loved it, we bought a house and have been very happy. I consider it a second home-town now.

I am about to graduate, and while the employment situation is still undecided, our first choice is to stay here, and buy another, bigger house to fix up. Pittsburgh is great. I hope the secret gets out a little bit, but not TOO much.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,690,047 times
All the WYEP listening, latte drinking, Apple product using hipsters I know have full time jobs. Then again, I work in IT so sometimes tech nerds/hipsters overlap in the eyes of some. I don't think being "hip" and being a bum are interchangeable.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 PM

62 posts, read 50,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This is my biggest social complaint about some Pittsburghers: the derivation of false bogeymen. You know you're dealing with one of these people if they refer to Monroeville Mall as "ghetto." I can only imagine what they have to say about Monroeville itself, now that one person in five who lives there isn't white!
It's kind of the same way in Western NY. I've heard people refer to "gangs" in Jamestown, and I've heard people call it "ghetto". Chances are, these people have never been to Detroit or some of the places in the South where people just walk into your house and steal things.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 PM

251 posts, read 179,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
All the WYEP listening, latte drinking, Apple product using hipsters I know have full time jobs. Then again, I work in IT so sometimes tech nerds/hipsters overlap in the eyes of some. I don't think being "hip" and being a bum are interchangeable.
Sounds more like a yuppie to me, who decided to adopt the hipster style/outlook. Just like you wouldn't call a lot of the original Silicon Valley gurus "hippies," though they may reflect elements of the culture. To my knowledge these words are not typically used as positive descriptors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh