Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 PM

398 posts, read 698,895 times

Advertisements

We wanted to be financially comfortable, spend many waking hours with our kids, and not have to worry about their education. I've lived in cities where you could pick one out of three, and cities where I could get two out of three, but Pittsburgh is a place where three of three is relatively easy to achieve. Our lives are relatively stress free, and I'd love any city that makes that possible.

Last edited by caroline2; 03-19-2011 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 10:02 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,099,328 times
Why do I live here? Because I like it and want to.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:18 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
Hipsters (and young bohemians in general) tend to come from a middle-to-upper class background.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:56 PM

367 posts, read 619,859 times
I'm moving in a couple of weeks to Bloomfield. I never thought that I would end up in Pittsburgh, but I have found that the city of Pittsburgh has a lot to offer, and I'm very excited.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:51 PM

632 posts, read 1,733,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This is my biggest social complaint about some Pittsburghers: the derivation of false bogeymen. You know you're dealing with one of these people if they refer to Monroeville Mall as "ghetto." I can only imagine what they have to say about Monroeville itself, now that one person in five who lives there isn't white!
Ha ha! Yes!

I've seen a little bit of this in Pittsburgh too. I always think it's pretty funny. I remember someone telling a story on this forum a year or two ago about someone they knew who lived outside the city and was absolutely terrified to go shop at the Waterfront by herself in the middle of the day. I mean, come on, seriously???

A few months ago we had a run-in with one of those types - we ordered some dinner, and when the delivery guy came, he called from the street and made my husband put on shoes and go down and meet him at the car. When my husband went to the window to see what the guy's problem was, the guy said, "I was afraid to get out of the car - there's a black guy over there on the corner!". My husband looked over and there's some random, totally normal-looking, well-dressed guy (who just happened to be African-American) just taking a walk and talking on his cell phone. It was like the guy had never seen anyone who wasn't Caucasian before or something.

Some people just worry themselves into a frenzy about nothing all the time. It must suck to be so afraid of everything that you feel you have to keep yourself locked in your house, peering out through the blinds to make sure that nobody who isn't just exactly like you isn't coming down the sidewalk to get you!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,590,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
A few months ago we had a run-in with one of those types - we ordered some dinner, and when the delivery guy came, he called from the street and made my husband put on shoes and go down and meet him at the car. When my husband went to the window to see what the guy's problem was, the guy said, "I was afraid to get out of the car - there's a black guy over there on the corner!". My husband looked over and there's some random, totally normal-looking, well-dressed guy (who just happened to be African-American) just taking a walk and talking on his cell phone. It was like the guy had never seen anyone who wasn't Caucasian before or something.
Look out! It's the creature from the black neighborhood!!!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 AM

367 posts, read 619,859 times
People have issues...

Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
People have issues...
Sssshhhh!!! I'm trying to talk to myself, and I can't hear myself answer!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,684,892 times
Monroeville Mall is the only mall I can think of that has a police station inside the mall. That's a ghetto stamp of approval.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,135,123 times
I'm always curious what people who consider Monroeville "ghetto" would think of an actual ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh