Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 11:06 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times

Advertisements

Just got the following from CEOs for Cities. This bodes well for Pittsburgh.

"The Young and (Definitely) Restless are City Material

College-educated 25-34 year-olds are the most mobile Americans, which makes them one of the most desirable demographic segments for cities attempting to grow their talent pool. In the next week, CEOs for Cities will release its latest update to the 2005 study, “The Young and Restless in a Knowledge Economy.” The study by economist Joe Cortright tracked the migration patterns and preferences of college-educated 25-34 year-olds.

The new statistics make one thing absolutely clear: The march toward the central city by well-educated young adults has become a stampede.

In 2000, young adults with a four-year degree were about 24% more likely to live in close-in urban neighborhoods than their counterparts with less education. Now, these well-educated young adults are about 64% more likely to live in these close-in urban neighborhoods. This relative preference for close-in neighborhoods increased in every one of the metro areas examined.

This is no longer an anecdote or clever story in USA Today. The trend is real and unmistakable."

Here's a link to the entire study: http://www.ceosforcities.org/pagefil..._YNR_FINAL.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I know some people are inclined to dismiss this with "oh, young people always do that", so I am glad to see people doing what I hoped, which was start comparing different cohorts at the same stage and see if that is true.

I think this sort of thing can obviously feed on itself as well. Those young educated people can really transform neighborhoods quickly when they put their mind to it.

Edit: I believe that link is to the 2005 study, incidentally.

Last edited by BrianTH; 03-16-2011 at 11:33 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 11:45 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
Interesting study for sure.... a bit dated though. Looks like they were checking data from 1990-2000.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronClark View Post
Interesting study for sure.... a bit dated though. Looks like they were checking data from 1990-2000.
That is what they did in the original 2005 article. Apparently they are coming out with an update soon based on more recent data which they can compare to their 2000 data.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
The Downtown Renaissance Extends Its Reach « The Transport Politic

Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 PM

That Transport Politic article is interesting. As we know, Pittsburgh's Downtown is a little too small to represent the "downtown" in most places, and in addition we have a second large CBD in Oakland. Plus, Pittsburgh has the ongoing post-steel-bust dynamics which put it into its own category. Still, consider the following map. Note you basically have to swap Downtown and the Bluff, because the Census shifted its understanding of the location of the Allegheny County jail (making it look like Downtown lost that population and the Bluff gained it).

If you lump together Downtown, the closest parts of the North Side, the Strip, the South Side, Oakland, Shadyside, and the dense part of Squirrel Hill, you get a similar pattern to what is being described in that article.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:34 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That Transport Politic article is interesting. As we know, Pittsburgh's Downtown is a little too small to represent the "downtown" in most places, and in addition we have a second large CBD in Oakland. Plus, Pittsburgh has the ongoing post-steel-bust dynamics which put it into its own category. Still, consider the following map. Note you basically have to swap Downtown and the Bluff, because the Census shifted its understanding of the location of the Allegheny County jail (making it look like Downtown lost that population and the Bluff gained it).
If you lump together Downtown, the closest parts of the North Side, the Strip, the South Side, Oakland, Shadyside, and the dense part of Squirrel Hill, you get a similar pattern to what is being described in that article.
downtown is a fuzzy thing to begin with. for example, I know for a fact the numbers for baltimore's downtown are inflated (last I saw they were celebrating 10k downtown, no way it shot up to 40k) and must include "greater downtown" or what I like to call core neighborhoods while the numbers for Philadelphia do not, those are the numbers for the strictly defined downtown. I'm curious why the golden triangle isn't green. If one assumes the triangle should be green, that's a solid grouping of growth (and I suspect you would have seen something similar ten years ago in Philly that expanded over the subsequent decade into something more substantial in terms of population.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:04 PM

We covered the jail issue in the other thread. So, yep, that is a solid "core" cluster centered on Downtown, and another on Oakland, which is more or less what you would expect after reading the Transport Politic piece and applying it to Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh