Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Here's a list of the live music scheduled throughout the region:

inpgh.com

Click on the subsection "music listings" under the "music" section.

There is a nice selection of live music for tonight and tomorrow night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 01:31 PM

165 posts, read 262,499 times
The Carnegie Museum of Natural History & the Carnegie Museum of Art are free on Thursday evenings this March. I believe both museums are open until 8pm. They are both great and are an easy bus ride from downtown (although I'm not sure if you're staying downtown or not) but parking is also available at a reduced rate.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:37 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
WYEP is having a free show tonight at their studio on the Southside, but I don't know that you'd want to be on the Southside on St. Patrick's Day.

91.3fm wyep :: where the music matters

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-17-2011 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,103 times
go up the monongahela incline and have a beer and lunch at packs & doggs good times.

eat at the original hot dogg shop on university pittsburgh campus in oakland

check out the carnegie museum of natural history

what brings you to PITT?

Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM

27 posts, read 66,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a concert at Mr. Smalls this evening: Mr. Smalls
It looks like a good show, although I prefer a bit of sonic with my metal (ala My Bloody Valentine). I also mismanaged my time and spent quite a while walking through Schenley Park. Seeing a well used and interesting park in the middle of the city is a nice sight.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Double post. D'oh.

Last edited by alltrac; 03-17-2011 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Double Post.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashan5 View Post
what brings you to PITT?
Short Answer:

I happen to be on spring break (unfortunately my wife wasn't able to get time off, hence the solo travel). I decided to make a short trip of checking out cities that:

1. I've never been to.
2. Would make for favorable relocation candidates in 6 - 12 months.

Less Short Answer:

We both have additional school that we'd like to / need to do, and Pittsburgh made the list of candidates (although we're not yet sure which school(s) would be the best fit). I think I've done all of the reading possible on the city itself, leaving the next logical step to actually see it. So I've been doing some exploring with an eye towards livable neighborhoods, activities, ways of getting around, etc.

All of these suggestions have been fantastic - I wish I had the time to get to all of them.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:38 PM

My goodness! Why didn't you say so!

We could have pointed you in the direction of the neighborhoods most convenient to the universities according to your price range.

How many more days do you have?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My goodness! Why didn't you say so!

We could have pointed you in the direction of the neighborhoods most convenient to the universities according to your price range.

How many more days do you have?
I've been lurking on these forms for a while, so I've made my way through several already(Lawrenceville, which I liked quite a bit, Squirrel Hill, and even a small bit in Mt Washington). We're in our upper 20s, so some of the obvious undergrad areas may not be the best fit. I have until sometime tomorrow, so I have a little time to make it out to any suggested areas you have.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Lawrenceville is nice.

I don't recommend Mt. Washington for students. It's just not as convenient.

Check out:

Bloomfield (for Friendship apartments which are in the neighborhood behind Bloomfield's business district). Also look at the businesses on Penn Avenue in Garfield on the other side to get a feel for what's available to Friendship residents.

Shadyside. It's in walking disance to Bloomfield/Friendship with Squirrel Hill on the other side.

Regent Square. Frick park is right next to it.

If you want lower rent, look at Highland Park and Greenfield.

Stay away from Southside and Oakland if you don't want to live near the undergrad crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh