Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 PM

10 posts, read 19,850 times

Advertisements

Gameguy56, what areas does the Quaker Valley district cover? Coming from Ohio, the splitting up and allocation of districts and schools here is confusing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Quaker Valley is centered on the borough of Sewickley. The surrounding municipalities within the school district are Glen Osborne, Edgeworth, Leetsdale, Sewickley Heights, Sewickley Hills, Bell Acres, Leet Township and Aleppo Township.

But really most of that is irrelevant. For sidewalks, you want to stay within Sewickley borough itself, or Osborne or Edgeworth or maybe parts of Leetsdale. Although this could depend upon what you mean by that. If you just mean sidewalks, there could be additional places. If you mean sidewalks to actually get to businesses and things, then it means basically those three, and not really so much Leetsdale as it's getting a little far from the center of Sewickley.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 AM

781 posts, read 1,612,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpgh View Post
dont get me started ...we wanted to stay ... but it was really more about finding the right house ... we exclusively looked on the mount for about a year and we eventually expanded our search.

I love the mount ... feel like a real jerk for leaving .... like I'm abandoning the neighborhood..and we;ve put a lot of time and energy into that hood...volunteering, community organizing, buying props and fixing them up...real sense of community. But my wife says that we are just those kind of people and where ever we live we will be like that. Maybe you can tell... I'm a little torn up about it

TRUST ME we are not simply "fleeing the city" we have merely come up with a prioritized list of things we need, want, and would like to have in a house, and a price range we can afford, and then started searching ALL of Allegheny county for that house...and Dormont just kept coming up...

overall though I cant help but feel like a hypocrite and a sell out
You should never feel like a "sell out", "jerk" or "fleeing the city" regardless of your reasons.

People have to do what works for them and it is not up to us to judge you. City taxes do add up, and the schools are not fairing well.

This is not a one size fits all.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM

92 posts, read 145,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
You should never feel like a "sell out", "jerk" or "fleeing the city" regardless of your reasons.
Generally speaking you are right,.... but I'm a little different as I have been a vocal and dedicated advocate for my neighborhood....been an active member of my local community development corp board, and the president of the board of directors for the last 3 years...

so ... THATs why I feel like a sell out

Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
I can understand the feeling, but I also agree with your significant other--I am sure you will do lots of good for your new community, and spreading the love isn't a bad thing.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:35 PM

781 posts, read 1,612,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpgh View Post
Generally speaking you are right,.... but I'm a little different as I have been a vocal and dedicated advocate for my neighborhood....been an active member of my local community development corp board, and the president of the board of directors for the last 3 years...

so ... THATs why I feel like a sell out
I would feel the same way if we left. I thought I would make myself feel better if I told you not to feel like a jerk for fleeing.

I feel like a sell out & a jerk for putting my kid in a private school.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
I feel like a sell out & a jerk for putting my kid in a private school.
I could see that especially given the reason you moved there in the first place. But I don't think anyone can blame you when assuring the quality of your child's education takes first priority over whatever other values you hold that conflict with that goal. Improving big-city public school systems is such a Catch-22: middle-class and upper-middle-class professionals need to enroll their kids in city schools if there is any hope of improving the system; every middle-class family with soon-to-be-school-aged kids that desperately wishes they could stay in the city knows it; but none want to risk their kid's education to start the process.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,337,289 times
It's good to read remarks by Curtis. Likely he doesn't live in Wilkinsburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh