Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it's rare to find a group of politicians willing to vote themselves out of a job but it sounds like this would be good for wilkinsburg.
There is a fairly forward-thinking group of people who have currently gained a majority on the Wilkinsburg Council. I think it is fair to say they really are driven by what they think would be best for the area, in part because they undoubtedly have a larger stake as residents than they do as local politicians.

Quote:
is there any advantage for wilkinsburg remaining an independent entity?
In my view, no. But I think the argument would be that if Wilkinsburg was merged into the City, it would become just another neglected, underserved neighborhood. People making this argument might point to Homewood, and suggest Wilkinsburg is better off, and that more local governance is the reason why.

I'm skeptical about those claims, but I do think you could make a not totally unreasonable case for consolidation of as many services as possible without actually going for a full merger. And personally, I think the schools are by far the biggest issue, so if I could only get that, I'd certainly take that deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 03:08 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it's rare to find a group of politicians willing to vote themselves out of a job but it sounds like this would be good for wilkinsburg. is there any advantage for wilkinsburg remaining an independent entity?
I gave this some thought, actually - and no, I can't think of one. I'd like to hear a cogent argument.

Thing is, while the borough obvious has considered further consolidation with Pgh and might well be willing to consider outright annexation, the real problem is the dreadful school district, which might just insist on prolonging its sorry existence even after Wilkinsburg was annexed.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think the argument would be that if Wilkinsburg was merged into the City, it would become just another neglected, underserved neighborhood.
This is not exactly your point but it prompted my thought, which is that there will be objections on grounds of racial representation in political office. The overall number of black elected officials locally matters to lots of people, and also the number with imposing titles like "Mayor".

Wilkinsburg's mayor John Thompson is in no sense typical of the now-aging generation of black politicians (Burgess, Preston) who often had good reason to be concerned about things like the sheer number of black elected officials, but in the view of some it will be one fewer elected office open to black candidates. Same goes for the council, of course.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:19 PM

Unfortunately, you are probably right.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:34 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
does the school issue have to be handled by the school board? can council have a referendum?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:40 PM

It's been a while, but I did once look into that question, pman - PA has a complicated and (for practical purposes) useless provision for annexing or dividing municipalities by referendum, but AFAIK only the assembly can change school district boundaries, consolidate, or create new ones (oh please God no). I did my best to make a clean sweep of the relevant statute and case law, but I'd be happy to hear from anyone with reliable contrary information.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 PM

The other possibility is a court order. And it may come to that.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:14 AM

296 posts, read 560,808 times
Why did Wilkinsburg have a professional fire department if they couldn't afford it?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post
Why did Wilkinsburg have a professional fire department if they couldn't afford it?
I think the answer to that, and other similar questions, is basically that Wilkinsburg used to be able to afford some things that it can't afford now, thanks to declining population and property values.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:52 AM

Further rumblings re: police merger:

Pittsburgh safety chief ponders merger with Wilkinsburg police - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh