Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It's quite safe and it doesn't smell. (At least it doesn't smell unless there's a problem.)
Since I can imagine her calling the utility company, we need to clarify that she might smell it briefly when she turns on a gas stove and it's nothing to be concerned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Since I can imagine her calling the utility company, we need to clarify that she might smell it briefly when she turns on a gas stove and it's nothing to be concerned about.
Oh, that's true. I now only experience this at other people's homes on occasion. The prior owners here had left a nearly new electric stove and we haven't replaced it. The other person here at home is, heh, afraid of the gas.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes
When a new development is built with buried power lines, telephone poles usually replace those lines in the near future.
With all due respect, I've buried a lot of powerlines in the past 30 years, and I'm not aware of any of them having been replaced with overhead service. Why do you think that?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Oh, that's true. I now only experience this at other people's homes on occasion. The prior owners here had left a nearly new electric stove and we haven't replaced it. The other person here at home is, heh, afraid of the gas.
That's hillarious! You have my condolences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
With all due respect, I've buried a lot of powerlines in the past 30 years, and I'm not aware of any of them having been replaced with overhead service. Why do you think that?
I once lived in a neighborhood with buried powerlines that were later replaced with telephone poles.

Maybe it's not common. Maybe you're not aware of what happened to them 10 years later. I don't know.

It doesn't matter. It's not likely she could afford to rent in a neighborhood with buried power lines anyway.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I once lived in a neighborhood with buried powerlines that were later replaced with telephone poles.

Maybe it's not common. Maybe you're not aware of what happened to them 10 years later. I don't know.
It's uncommon enough that I'd love to know the rest of the story. And I do know what happened to the ones I've put in, (Nothing. They're fine.), because I'll occasionally go back and take a look at places I've worked, just to see how they're aging.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
It's uncommon enough that I'd love to know the rest of the story. And I do know what happened to the ones I've put in, (Nothing. They're fine.), because I'll occasionally go back and take a look at places I've worked, just to see how they're aging.
Forgive me. I'm an idiot. I just talked to my husband. He says that the buried lines were temporary electricity for the pre-construction lots in the development. Since I lived in one of the first houses built, most of the lots had that metal box at the street for each lot. I thought they were underground powerlines that were replaced with telephone poles because the development eventually did have telephone poles when the construction was completed. This was a long time ago, btw.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Forgive me.
You're forgiven.

(And I didn't even quote the "I'm an idiot" part. )

(Uh, well, I guess now I did, but it wasn't on purpose. Honest!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh