U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:30 AM

41,704 posts, read 46,172,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Why is it that nearly everyone I speak to abhors Wal-Mart, yet their stores are always packed?
Since it's not politically correct to shop at Walmart, many people are closet Walmart shoppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 AM

15 posts, read 17,643 times
I HATE Giant Eagle to the extreme that I used to shop at the grimy Bloomfield Shur Save in protest when living in Shadyside. It's a monopoly, the customer service is generally bad (Shadyside Market District, anyone?), and it is always packed to the point of inducing claustrophobia.

My allegiance is to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods (when they have sales or coupons), and Community (to a lesser extent). I maintain that if a Wegmans showed up here, GE would promptly be pwned.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM

EDIT: I totally forgot to share my love for the East End Food Co-op and Right By Nature, which are both completely awesome. They tend to be a bit "niche" for most shoppers, though.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 AM

41,704 posts, read 46,172,177 times
This thread is the first time I've heard of Wegmans. We should start a petition.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 AM

9,879 posts, read 9,213,749 times
Quote:
Why is it that nearly everyone I speak to abhors Wal-Mart, yet their stores are always packed?
Eh, I think it's pretty likely you speak to a subsection of people that is more likely not to shop at Walmart. There are a lot of people. The average person doesn't care and just shops at Walmart because it's cheap and works for them without thinking about anything else. People who take the time to think about things sometimes shop there anyway or sometimes don't. But people who take the time to think about such things are a small subset of the general population.

In other words, it doesn't take a bunch of hypocrites to fill the Walmart parking lot. It just takes a bunch of people period, most of whom are not making a conscious choice either way at all.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 AM

9,879 posts, read 9,213,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This thread is the first time I've heard of Wegmans. We should start a petition.
Wegmans has come up on the Pittsburgh board a few times, anytime anyone complains about Giant Eagle. By all means, contact them and say how much you love the store (even if you haven't seen one). Can't hurt. I don't think you'll find Wegmans to be cheaper though; that would surprise me. I don't know if there is any Wegmans/Giant Eagle overlap to test that theory though.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Wegmans has come up on the Pittsburgh board a few times, anytime anyone complains about Giant Eagle. By all means, contact them and say how much you love the store (even if you haven't seen one). Can't hurt. I don't think you'll find Wegmans to be cheaper though; that would surprise me. I don't know if there is any Wegmans/Giant Eagle overlap to test that theory though.
As for Wegmans/Giant Eagle overlap, there really isn't any. Wegmans serves Eastern PA, NY, NJ, and some parts of the DC Metro from what I can tell online. The only potential overlap market is Erie, but I am not sure if they have Giant Eagle there.

I used to live in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area, and Wegmans regularly kept up with some of the more Giant Eagle-esque grocers in terms of price. Moreover, they recently made a statement saying they would delay price increases on several staple items to stave off the recent inflation for customers.

I've written to them before requesting they enter this market, and I think it would be amazing if they did. Market District, which is a direct rip-off of Wegmans, would crumble.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:16 AM

9,560 posts, read 8,069,935 times
Quote:
Same reason "everybody hates Nickelback," yet they have a bunch of hit songs.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,133,292 times
My daughter works at the Shadyside Market District Giant Eagle. When I pick her up from work, I park on Centre Avenue. I can't deal with that parking lot. Its always packed and people don't look in their rear view mirrors when backing up in there. That parking lot is crazy. Anyway, when she gets in the car, I always ask her how her day was and was it crowded and she always looks at me like "what type of question is THAT....of COURSE!" LOL.. The store is open from 6 a.m. to midnight and it amazes me how packed it stays during the ENTIRE course of the day!

Anyway, I shop at the Shop N Save in my neighborhood. I loathe Giant Eagle.
They've ALWAYS been expensive. This is nothing new. They do have good weekly sales, though. If what's on sale is what YOU'RE looking to buy.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM

11,082 posts, read 7,187,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
They do have good weekly sales, though. If what's on sale is what YOU'RE looking to buy.
I find that their sales are normal prices elsewhere. There only thing I would buy there is steak and I would rather shop at Whole Foods for that since the price is about the same and Whole Foods meat is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh