U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:02 PM
gg

11,723 posts, read 8,081,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Giant Eagle is not doing that well overall, they have been losing a substantial portion of their business to Walmart. The fuel perks program has saved them, which is why what started out as a temporary program, has become permanent.

I don't think you can call GE a monopoly, and I don't think their high prices are from inflated profit margins. They're just trying to keep their doors open as Walmart is trying to close them.
You must not be from Pittsburgh. Giant Eagle has the highest share of any supermarket chain in the Pittsburgh area, largely due to being a de-facto monopoly in the region (only Aldi and stores supplied by Supervalue such as Shop 'n Save, FoodLand, and Save-A-Lot even have a presence in the area, let alone significant market share). They are the only game in town. Walmart is not in the ballgame yet, but it making tiny strides. Guess we will all be drinking Chinese apple juice soon enough when they take over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:01 PM

981 posts, read 714,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You must not be from Pittsburgh. Giant Eagle has the highest share of any supermarket chain in the Pittsburgh area, largely due to being a de-facto monopoly in the region (only Aldi and stores supplied by Supervalue such as Shop 'n Save, FoodLand, and Save-A-Lot even have a presence in the area, let alone significant market share). They are the only game in town. Walmart is not in the ballgame yet, but it making tiny strides. Guess we will all be drinking Chinese apple juice soon enough when they take over.
I've lived in the Pittsburgh area my whole life, so I know it's them and Walmart slugging it out right now.

My info comes from someone that works for GE (not in one of the stores).

Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I've lived in the Pittsburgh area my whole life, so I know it's them and Walmart slugging it out right now.

My info comes from someone that works for GE (not in one of the stores).
Well that is good news. I get tired of the dumb GE monopoly. They have had that long enough. Competition is good! Go Walmart. Better yet, I wish that supermarket everyone raves over would come here.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 PM

275 posts, read 393,098 times
People may complain about walmart but the competition will help drive down food prices. Whether we realize it or not, in American we have a good supply of food. We have such a wide selection and good quality food. The problem is the prices are so high we are not use to having to eat on the cheap. I tried and could not. I enjoy a variety and eat for the taste and pleasure. This is bad in the sense it has lead to me spending more and leading me to absorb the cost.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 PM

8,529 posts, read 7,796,313 times
I'd rather see Wegman's battle GE as opposed to Wal-Mart. I hate eating Chinese food.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:27 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'd rather see Wegman's battle GE as opposed to Wal-Mart. I hate eating Chinese food.
Yeah that is the store that I want. Copanut, are you not going to open one up. Maybe you can open one close to the Highland Park Bridge, so it is close to me.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:44 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,431,202 times
Quote:
Yeah that is the store that I want. Copanut, are you not going to open one up. Maybe you can open one close to the Highland Park Bridge, so it is close to me.
Highland Park could use a grocery store in any case.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:52 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Highland Park could use a grocery store in any case.
I would love it, but with Target, Whole Foods, Giant Eagle (3) and Trader Joes so close, I don't think we will see it.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:55 PM

8,529 posts, read 7,796,313 times
Quote:
Not me, not in that biz. GE dominates this area big time, when my friends closed Amarraca, GE took over their lease so no one else could use it as a grocery store.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 PM

4,496 posts, read 3,260,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Not me, not in that biz. GE dominates this area big time, when my friends closed Amarraca, GE took over their lease so no one else could use it as a grocery store.
They probably did the same thing to the old GE that used to be in Brentwood on Brownsville Road. The place has been closed for years when it could be something else and remains a huge eye sore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh