Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Waterworks doesn't appear to be controlled by Echo but I wouldn't think it uncommon for Giant Eagle's lease to have a provision that no other full-serve grocery be opened there, and that would include the Walmart full grocery. Why they have a scenario like Cranberry Mall (where Kuhn's, and before that a Shop n Save, are right next to it) I don't know. Been that way for ages though, and they're both still there, in addition to the super Walmart across the road.
Cranberry had no shopping to speak of in the 60's... and in the mid 70's when the strip mall was built at the end of Freedom Rd at Rte 19, it contained a KMart and a KROGER and some other things. The dog leg that holds GE was built later, if my memory is correct.

Kroger decided to leave the Pittsburgh area entirely, and that's when Shop-N-Save took that location over, that's when I think GE started building. Which is very probably why they couldn't have a non-compete clause.... in this case they were the competition.

If my memory is right around the same time they started on the lower part of the Cramberry Mall or what ever they call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
I've found it better to just not shop in Pennsylvania at all, and stock up when I visit my parents in Ohio.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I've found it better to just not shop in Pennsylvania at all, and stock up when I visit my parents in Ohio.
"Khalifa?" As in Wiz Khalifa? (Bowing down before you!)

Old 03-28-2011, 08:18 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
"Khalifa?" As in Wiz Khalifa? (Bowing down before you!)

Not Wiz. Sammy Khalifa played shortstop for the Buccos a few seasons in the 1980s. He was the first Arabic player in the majors.

The Serious Tip: Remembering Sammy Khalifa

Old 03-29-2011, 05:53 AM

Haha, yeah. I had randomly picked the name when I used to post on the Pirates message board and have just kinda stuck with it.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,971 times
New here--I have a question, but saw this title and wanted to comment first! I'm from Pittsburgh, live in Reno, NV now and hoping to move back. I visit my family there a couple of times/year and have commented on how much cheaper Giant Eagle is than major grocery stores here, but the last few times I was there, I noticed it's actually the same and more for some things. The prices have definitely significantly gone up the past couple of years. My mom avoids GE now when that was the only grocery store she would ever shop at in the past. That's really too bad. If I end up moving back, I'll stick with Walmart even though I would much prefer to support GE.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelefrompgh View Post
The prices have definitely significantly gone up the past couple of years.
That is usually how monopolies work. Get you used to going to a place and raise the prices little by little. They are making money hand over fist. I sure wish we had more options.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
That is usually how monopolies work. Get you used to going to a place and raise the prices little by little. They are making money hand over fist. I sure wish we had more options.
I've noticed this even more at my local (Mt. Washington) Foodland. I think they realize that many of the people that shop there might not have their own car and have no choice other than to use their store. They have a worse selection, worse produce, and worse prices than any Giant Eagle I've been in. They don't even keep the shelves fully stocked a lot of the time. Now maybe they have a lot of costs involved with running a store inside the city, but to me it's a shame that people with less money to spend have to spend MORE than those in the suburbs.

That said, I really like the people that work there, and it's really convenient for me to walk there if it's just to buy a few things.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:27 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Giant Eagle is not doing that well overall, they have been losing a substantial portion of their business to Walmart. The fuel perks program has saved them, which is why what started out as a temporary program, has become permanent.

I don't think you can call GE a monopoly, and I don't think their high prices are from inflated profit margins. They're just trying to keep their doors open as Walmart is trying to close them.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:48 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Giant Eagle is not doing that well overall, they have been losing a substantial portion of their business to Walmart. The fuel perks program has saved them, which is why what started out as a temporary program, has become permanent.

I don't think you can call GE a monopoly, and I don't think their high prices are from inflated profit margins. They're just trying to keep their doors open as Walmart is trying to close them.
If GE is under threat by Walmart, I have to root for the " Iggle". I depise Walmart with every fiber of my being, and I wouldn't spend 10 cents in one of their disgusting dumps; in in Sam'e Club, for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh