U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM

811 posts, read 944,888 times
Default Everyone wanted a gastropub,

So they will bring one to the Cultural District;

Gastropub coming to Theater Square by summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-24-2011, 05:26 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,127,711 times
Downtown needs more gastropub type paces as opposed to "tapas," high end, and the other new term "small plates." I want a big plate. Who cares about being trendy? Dining does indeed need to get back to meat and potatoes. I like the name and the concept. I see a trend Downtown going after a certain demographic. That trend is trying to appeal to more common joes rather than simply executive types and affluent theatre goers. Those aforementioned wouldn't mind having a beer and some wings too.

Unread 03-24-2011, 05:27 PM

251 posts, read 169,374 times
Sounds tasty. I never heard this term before... Just Wiki'd it. So is the emphasis on English food then?

In broad definition it seems like there are lots of places in town you could call a gastropub, like Fatheads.

Unread 03-24-2011, 08:09 PM

8,752 posts, read 6,746,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Downtown needs more gastropub type paces as opposed to "tapas," high end, and the other new term "small plates." I want a big plate. Who cares about being trendy? Dining does indeed need to get back to meat and potatoes. I like the name and the concept. I see a trend Downtown going after a certain demographic. That trend is trying to appeal to more common joes rather than simply executive types and affluent theatre goers. Those aforementioned wouldn't mind having a beer and some wings too.
These days, people are so caught up in form and method over function and results. They're the people who label Ben Roethlisberger "overrated" simply because he's not a classic pocket passer, even though his overall body of work is better than all but two, or maybe three, QBs in the NFL. They're the people who deride contemporary hard rock bands even though they're just as effective at making people bang their heads and mosh as any of their predecessors were.

In terms of food, they're the people who "oooh" and "aaah" over the artisanship of the dishes the chef prepares even though a) they're wasting sauce when they string it in a lattice pattern across the plate, and b) you're hungry two hours later because they barely gave you any damn food. But hey, the garnish was really pretty!

Unfortunately, we'll never get back to meat and potatoes until either a) there's a mass rejection of phony food artisanship, or b) some uppity douchebag in GQ declares meat and potatoes "cool" again.

Unread 03-24-2011, 11:45 PM

765 posts, read 849,863 times
Open it up on Murray. There is little diversity! It is all aisan & pizza.

Unread 03-25-2011, 11:18 AM

20,274 posts, read 16,236,844 times
I'd say places like Tavern 245 and the Sharp Edge are already pretty much an American version of a gastro pub.

Anyway, the Downtown food scene is exploding in almost every conceivable direction, and I think that is a good thing. I like basic food, fancy food, fancy basic food, American food, ethnic food, Americanized ethnic food, beer, wine, liquor--like Homer with the donut machine in hell, my answer to what I want to see Downtown is "More . . . More . . . More!"

Unread 03-26-2011, 08:53 AM

1,098 posts, read 603,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
These days, people are so caught up in form and method over function and results.
You couldn't be more right about the high end of the food service industry. Too many chefs using too many ingredients together that really shouldn't be paired in a vain attempt to one up each other.

Unread 03-26-2011, 01:26 PM

8,752 posts, read 6,746,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
You couldn't be more right about the high end of the food service industry. Too many chefs using too many ingredients together that really shouldn't be paired in a vain attempt to one up each other.
Well that's "fusion" for you.

Unread 03-26-2011, 01:48 PM

3,751 posts, read 2,369,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'd say places like Tavern 245 and the Sharp Edge are already pretty much an American version of a gastro pub.
I went to Sharp Edge (Friendship Avenue) for the first time about a week ago, for lunch. It feels like a sports bar. At least, that's what was on the TV. They have this separate dining room behind the bar, whose windows are always curtained (I live nearby, so I've walked past lots of times). It's just an ordinary restaurant dining room. I'd pull the curtains back, myself.

The food was only alright. I ordered chicken salad with cranberries. Most of the plate was taken up by an overly generous number of pita triangles, which completely covered a base of undressed bag salad. It was entirely too much for the amount of chicken salad, which took up
no more than 20% of the plate.

Total with ice tea, tax, and tip came to around $16. I can eat really well for that amount at Penn Avenue Fish Company, so that's probably the last time I'll decide to go to Sharp Edge.

Unread 03-26-2011, 01:50 PM

3,751 posts, read 2,369,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Too many chefs using too many ingredients together that really shouldn't be paired in a vain attempt to one up each other.
Food as fashion victim. Hate it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh