Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Just as a side note, you MUST know where you're going if you walk to the pharmacy on Center Avenue
Needless to say, a wise person would take the straight route of Pride St. or Washington Place to Centre Ave. if they were going to walk from Duquesne to the Hill House. It probably isn't a real smart idea to look for a short cut, especially after dark.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:34 PM

35 posts, read 63,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'm a sophomore at Duquesne so welcome to the school; I hope you made the right choice for yourself. What is your major going to be? Duquesne is a good school that has really be climbing up in national rankings for many of the school's programs in the past ten years with the business school just ranked in the top 10 for the state. People at the school are pretty friendly and relaxed; people tend to dress a little better at the school compared to other colleges I've seen but people are chilled and relaxed with how your look in general. The area around Duquesne may look a little rough but it's fairly safe. I've been going to Pens games without my parents and only friends for years and no one has ever given us trouble in that area after the game. Welcome to Duquesne and I hope you like it.

thank you so much! my major is pharmacy and dermatology. but im working on pharmacy. thanks for that information this definitely help and I will make a note of it. thanks!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Needless to say, a wise person would take the straight route of Pride St. or Washington Place to Centre Ave. if they were going to walk from Duquesne to the Hill House. It probably isn't a real smart idea to look for a short cut, especially after dark.

so centre ave is a bad area?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Just as a side note, you MUST know where you're going if you walk to the pharmacy on Center Avenue in the Hill DistriCK... If you see townhouses/duplexes that's great, your on track! Yet if you are lost and you see housing projects steer clear!!!

Bluff, where Duquense is located, has seen better days yet like others said it's bark is worse than it's bite... Except for a few streets past the Duquense Campus which by nightfall turn into prime real-estate for D-boyz, crackheads & hookers. Again Bluff is relatively safe... While for the most part the next neighborhood over, the Hill District... Is Not!!!
do you know any names of apartments in this area you can recommend to me?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaButterfly View Post
oh and for the person who called me rude in the anonymous comment thing. I am not rude the last part was simply for the people who like to come into people threads and respond with rude, smart-mouthed questions. all i was stating was if you read my post if you can answer please do if your gonna be a smart-mouthed then just dont answer.
again to the person who keeps writing in the reputation part. I dont care whats been asked a billion times you dont have to come in my thread. just keep scrolling. these are my own questionsand i wanted a updated 2011 report of pittsburgh not one from 2009. i wanted to know what it is like currently right now before i come to school in the fall. so if it annoys u just go to someones esle thread it very simple.

how can you call me rude yet look at the way your just starting problems with someone who is just trying to get information for herself. everybody questions/answer is different no matter how many times it is asked

Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
so centre ave is a bad area?

Its the Hill District, and its not a good area but not particularly dangerous if you have a little street sense.

So you want to stay off the side streets and stick to Centre Ave.

A lot of Duquesne students live across 10th St. Bridge on the Southside. There really aren't apartment complexes or high rise apartment buildings on the Southside, but there are real estate agents that have scattered apartments through the neighborhood. A lot of Pitt students live over there too. Lot of bars and nightlife on Carson St.

Its a decent walk across the bridge and up a long set of city steps to the Duquesne campus or through the Armstrong tunnel featured in "Flashdance"- depends where at Duquesne you want to go to.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
thank you so much! my major is pharmacy and dermatology. but im working on pharmacy. thanks for that information this definitely help and I will make a note of it. thanks!
Interesting lol I was a pre pharmacy last year but hated it so I switched to the business school. Will you be coming to the school as a third year professional student or as a pre pharmacy freshman?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
One of the few nice, quiet, areas in REAL Hill District (we all know Upper Hill is a totally different world so I disqualify it) is Crawford Squre. Crawford Sqare = sets of nice townhouses/duplexes filled with mixed-income whites, blacks, and a few (and growing) population of asians. Idk if it will fit your budget though... Also, DownTown, Bluff and/or the Southside are arguably better choices... I'm not a Duquense student or anything so I'm not sure???
Despite all the gentrification, as a young white lady you pretty much shouldn't walk to deep on Center Avenue alone, mainly at night, and there's an even greater of a risk of trouble during the Summer... Part of Center and Webster Avenues become filled with Blood gang members so don't wear too much blue.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:30 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
again to the person who keeps writing in the reputation part. I dont care whats been asked a billion times you dont have to come in my thread. just keep scrolling. these are my own questionsand i wanted a updated 2011 report of pittsburgh not one from 2009. i wanted to know what it is like currently right now before i come to school in the fall. so if it annoys u just go to someones esle thread it very simple.

how can you call me rude yet look at the way your just starting problems with someone who is just trying to get information for herself. everybody questions/answer is different no matter how many times it is asked

This is an international discussion forum, people are going to make all kinds of comments. Your "request" for information came off a bit demanding to me. So you'll set yourself up for comments like the ones being made to you.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:26 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
This is an international discussion forum, people are going to make all kinds of comments. Your "request" for information came off a bit demanding to me. So you'll set yourself up for comments like the ones being made to you.
I agree. I didn't answer because I wasn't thrilled with the attitude of your first post. Who do you think you are, came to my mind. Out of kindness, I will give you my take since I have hopes that you will learn that Pittsburgh is a nice place with many nice people. I would go in the opposite direction from the Hill District. The South Side and Downtown are the directions you can commute from. Don't go towards the Hill, if you don't need to. Too much crime, but it can't be compared to the slums of NJ or slums in Miami. Compared to those it is as safe as it can be, but for Pittsburgh standards, the Hill really isn't a place to walk around at night for a single woman.

I have a feeling your personality will be interestingly received here, if you act the same as your Internet personality is perceived. I suggest you treat people here without accusation and just ask questions and be nice instead of stomping your foot and demanding an answer. You are lucky people overlooked it and still gave you good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh