U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2011, 12:40 PM

35 posts, read 46,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Is grammar and proper English in your curriculum at the big "D"?

Wow how immature, so now we going to play the check your grammer game. It is just a forum people.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,729,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaButterfly View Post
It is just a forum people.
You'd like to think that, but I actually ended up going to the police back in VA in regards to how seriously one (two?) person/people took it to the point where I was feeling like my personal safety was being compromised. Luckily the Fairfax County Police Department set me straight and told me fraud and terroristic threats weren't a crime. I was so happy they knew the law in NoVA so much better than I did.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM

8,423 posts, read 7,591,777 times
Quote:
Wow how immature, so now we going to play the check your grammer game. It is just a forum people.
You're going to be a professional in the real world, why not practice proper grammAr and spelling now? I'm pretty sure most Duquesne students/graduates do so.

Hi, YAC!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
OP, the more you respond in such an aggressive and hostile tone, the less help you will receive. Also, if you more clearly expressed yourself, you might get a better response (i.e. use capital letters, punctuation, etc.).

If you are a freshman, perhaps you should look into living in the dorms.

Im not responding agressive, and hostile that is how everybody keeps taking it. My first post honestly was not me being rude. I just had a list of few simple questions, I liked answered.

As for my typos, ok come on it's a forum. people are acting like they never made a typo mistake or two. Taking a shot at my "grammer skills" is not making me look bad more than it makes them look childish. so I don't capitalize ever letter that should be. BIG DEAL. this is not a english class my typos are not that hard to read. If I made a mistake in my typing it doesnt mean I cant spell I just simply made a error. Again I'm not being agressive but people want to now get off subject and bring up grammer issues.Well that is being rather immature and uncalled for too. so two wrongs does not make a right either.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
You're going to be a professional in the real world, why not practice proper grammAr and spelling now? I'm pretty sure most Duquesne students/graduates do so.

Hi, YAC!
I understand, but just because I make a few grammer errors doesn't mean I dont know proper grammer. I'm a fast typer so I make a few errors. It happens, but to bring it up just because you think my first post was rude is uncalled for.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I understand, but just because I make a few grammer errors doesn't mean I dont know proper grammer. I'm a fast typer so I make a few errors. It happens, but to bring it up just because you think my first post was rude is uncalled for.
Unfortunately, though, people can and will judge you quite a bit based upon how well you type. People think I'm either brilliant or an elitist (or both) because I tend to be rather verbose and possess an affinity for the English language. In reality I'm a down-to-earth slob who delivers fruit for a living. I'm neither haughty nor intelligent. Contrariwise I know quite a few successful people who couldn't spell their way out of a cardboard box.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You'd like to think that, but I actually ended up going to the police back in VA in regards to how seriously one (two?) person/people took it to the point where I was feeling like my personal safety was being compromised. Luckily the Fairfax County Police Department set me straight and told me fraud and terroristic threats weren't a crime. I was so happy they knew the law in NoVA so much better than I did.

I understand that, I didn't mean it in that way. I''m not threating anybody. I just feel everybody is calling me rude and hostile, yet everybody is jumping on my case as if this is real life in person. What I meant by this is just a forum is, it is not that serious to 10 people to respond and take it to heart because they took my post the wrong way instead of just asking me was I being rude or ask to clarify what I meant by my last statment. The way many people took it is not what I was intending for it to come off but everyone jumped on my case calling me rude and hostile when I was doing and I'am not doing right now at all. but I understand what you mean by how serious it can become on the internet

Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM

662 posts, read 704,904 times
Quote:
Here's the problem - none of us know you in the real world. Our only view of you is shaped by what you have typed. So your grammar and tone play a strong role in how seriously we take your posts.

Fast typing has nothing to do with grammar- spelling mistakes, yes, but generally not grammar. And if you can't take the time to hit the shift key for the first letter at the beginning of a sentence (which makes it much easier to read) why should we take the time to respond to your questions? Courtesy goes both ways. You are a stranger seeking something we have that you want- knowledge- so why not go about it in a polite and professional manner?

My advice is to live in the dorms. You are 19 years old and really don't know much about the area or any people here. Live in the dorms for a year until you figure it out.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
but I understand what you mean by how serious it can become on the internet
Good. I'm just cautioning you (and others for that matter) to be careful because while the majority of the members here are great there are a select few who slip beneath the "troll meter" yet still go to great lengths to track down those in person whom they feel have "slighted" them on this forum.

When moving here to Pittsburgh my life was thrown into jeopardy when one such person stalked me onto Facebook, found the CraigsList ad I shared to show off my new apartment, replied to the ad posing as my current property manager/landlord with a false name and e-mail address, and slammed me mercilessly to my new landlady, claiming I didn't pay rent, was an abusive tenant, was a bum, etc. She then proceeded to call me in VA freaking out on me, and my move to Pittsburgh was nearly derailed. I don't have hot water right now, and I haven't brought that to the attention of my landlady for fear of her evicting me thanks to that e-mail because she probably still thinks she did me a favor by letting me take the unit.

There are a lot of nasty people on this forum. I know my opinions are unpopular, but you must really be a miserable person to want to ruin someone's REAL life to get even because you were outwitted in a debate. I'm just cautioning everyone out there to be very careful because if that does happen to you the police don't care, as I found out when I brought this to the attention of law enforcement in Virginia, and the moderators here don't care because they'll just think you're crazy and making it all up.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:03 PM

8,423 posts, read 7,591,777 times
Quote:
I never said your first post was rude.

typer? typist

grammer? grammAr

Obviously, you are a 20 something that was never taught proper English.

I worked at a Pharmacy way, way back in the 60's. The Pharmacist was a Duquesne grad, told me to make a sign, Closed Labor Day, I spelled it Laber, almost fired me on the spot.

Spelling Counts, an'at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh